Which headphones sound similar to AKG K712 Pro??
Dec 14, 2020 at 5:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

KPzypher

1000+ Head-Fier
Outside of the AKG lineup, which cans have similar sound signature to the K712s?

I've recently picked these up on a good deal, and oh boy, I haven't had this much fun with headphones in quite some time. It was an unexpected purchase, so I'm happier than ever. And now I'm curious to try other headphones with similar sound signatures.

I have a decent collection of HPs, but something about this HP clicked with me right away.

With K712s, I love the sense of airiness without sounding too thin. And soundstage and imaging are top notch. Resolution may lack a bit, but doesn't bother me at all. And for me, they're well balanced across the FR.

Beyer cans come to mind (DT1990/990 etc.), but since I already own T1.2, want to try something different. HD800s perhaps?

Not necessarily looking for a can that does everything well.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

Dec 14, 2020 at 6:31 PM Post #3 of 18
Stay with your 712, don't sidegrade and then look if you want to go for the big boys like Abyss, Utopia, 007/009 some time.

Thanks. Not trying to sell these. Just looking to add to the collection. Not a big fan of Focal sound. I own the Stellia and still having a hard time liking the metallic tone in the treble region. I am interested in Diana V2, but I hear people complain regarding comfort. Comfort is #1 priority for me. And not looking to get into e-stats just yet. Don't have the space to accommodate an energizer, unless I create another station.

Dec 14, 2020 at 7:08 PM Post #5 of 18
What are you exactly looking for in other cans that the K712 don't offer?

K712s suit my sound preference and want to try other offerings (brand) with similar sound signature. That's all. Not necessarily looking for other cans because I find the K712 lacking.

Dec 14, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 18
K712 only has sidegrades that can complement it, a small step up would be something like a Hifiman Ananda and true upgrades would be stuff like the Sennheiser HD 800 S or Hifiman Arya.

Thanks. Sidegrade is perfectly fine. Maybe ATH R70x would be another good choice?

Like you've said, HD800s seems like a logical step up.

I have Hifiman HE6SE, and HFM planars are generally way too off timbre for me.

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #8 of 18
Not judging but asking that you prefer the 712’s over the HE-6SE and ZMF Verites ?

Dec 14, 2020 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 18
Not judging but asking that you prefer the 712’s over the HE-6SE and ZMF Verites ?

No worries. At the moment, yes over the HE6 and maybe to the Verite.

I definitely prefer it over HE6SE not because it's technically more capable, but because the HFM is way off timbre for me. Typical planar characteristics but too pronounced. And even though I love the Verite, considering the price difference and bang for buck, I wonder if it's needed. In that respect, I think the K712 is quite nice. I believe the difference between flagships and well-made mid tier cans aren't all that drastic like some people claim. Truth is, there are tradeoffs to HPs at every level, to include flagships. But of course that's just my opinion and YMMV.

The more I'm in this hobby, it's less about the wow factor, and more about long and pleasant listening sessions. I don't listen to music in short bursts, so getting wowed for a few minutes then suffering the weight (not all but flagships are usually heavy) and discomfort of the flagship is not always justifiable to me. Similarly, super resolving headphones can be fatiguing sometimes and less enjoyable depending on the recording of the music. Nowadays, I tend to gravitate towards lighter headphones. I do like to get wowed occasionally, so flagships definitely have their place, but for long sessions, I tend to reach for everyday cans without worrying about scratching them. But I'm well aware I'm in the minority here.

On another subject, how do you like the AKG 872?
I know the K812s generally aren't well received and just wondering how the closed back counterpart fair? Haven't looked hard, but didn't come across a whole lot of info on it.

Dec 14, 2020 at 10:33 PM Post #10 of 18
I heard the K712 and my impression of it was pretty meh. There's a difference from it's response to Sennheisers due to the way the acoustics were done. Sennheisers will come off with more dynamics, greater bass, and upper-mids presences to define the sounds better with better transparency. The way the pads and it's rooms were designed makes the difference between the two types headphones.

Personally found K702 sound with better timbre, but it has issues as well. Similar issues Grados have.

As for HE-6, pads make a difference. Wrong pads, and can get some weirdness to the response. The Palipads that comes with the HE-6SE causes upper-mids to dip, and it doesn't sound proper. If all is good, HE-6 has one of the most realistic and transparent timbre. This is quite apparent when listening to jazz instrumentals.

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #11 of 18
Good th
I heard the K712 and my impression of it was pretty meh. There's a difference from it's response to Sennheisers due to the way the acoustics were done. Sennheisers will come off with more dynamics, greater bass, and upper-mids presences to define the sounds better with better transparency. The way the pads and it's rooms were designed makes the difference between the two types headphones.

Personally found K702 sound with better timbre, but it has issues as well. Similar issues Grados have.

As for HE-6, pads make a difference. Wrong pads, and can get some weirdness to the response. The Palipads that comes with the HE-6SE causes upper-mids to dip, and it doesn't sound proper. If all is good, HE-6 has one of the most realistic and transparent timbre. This is quite apparent when listening to jazz instrumentals.

Good thing I don't have your ears.

Dec 15, 2020 at 4:34 PM Post #12 of 18
Thanks. Sidegrade is perfectly fine. Maybe ATH R70x would be another good choice?

Like you've said, HD800s seems like a logical step up.

I have Hifiman HE6SE, and HFM planars are generally way too off timbre for me.
ATH-R70x is very different to the K712, it's super reference compared to it and barely has any soundstage at all so I wouldn't really call it an enjoyment headphone, nice sidegrades to the K712 are the HD 6XX/Sundara/DT 1990.

Dec 16, 2020 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 18

I definitely prefer it over HE6SE not because it's technically more capable, but because the HFM is way off timbre for me. Typical planar characteristics but too pronounced. And even though I love the Verite, considering the price difference and bang for buck, I wonder if it's needed. In that respect, I think the K712 is quite nice. I believe the difference between flagships and well-made mid tier cans aren't all that drastic like some people claim. Truth is, there are tradeoffs to HPs at every level, to include flagships. But of course that's just my opinion and YMMV.

The more I'm in this hobby, it's less about the wow factor, and more about long and pleasant listening sessions. I don't listen to music in short bursts, so getting wowed for a few minutes then suffering the weight (not all but flagships are usually heavy) and discomfort of the flagship is not always justifiable to me. Similarly, super resolving headphones can be fatiguing sometimes and less enjoyable depending on the recording of the music. Nowadays, I tend to gravitate towards lighter headphones. I do like to get wowed occasionally, so flagships definitely have their place, but for long sessions, I tend to reach for everyday cans without worrying about scratching them. But I'm well aware I'm in the minority here.

I know the K812s generally aren't well received and just wondering how the closed back counterpart fair? Haven't looked hard, but didn't come across a whole lot of info on it.
The 872 is the worst headphone i've ever heard. The 812 was a sidegrade to my 702 for me.

Dec 16, 2020 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 18

I have a love hate relationship with the 872’s. With acoustic music something like Neil Young they are very good but for other genres not so much really depends on the song but they are very comfortable and do really well at gaming that I don’t do a lot anymore.
On the HE-6SE I don’t think you have enough power for them if what you are using is what is in your profile inventory. I have the OG Abyss and they are a bit more sensitive than the HE-6SE so not as hard to drive and it seems amp topology has something to do with it as well but a 6 watt Drop THX 789 and Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum at 6.6 watts @ 32 ohms both were hollow sounding and my little original Liquid Carbon does a much better job at running them but my Audio GD Master 9 at 9 watts really moves them for me. Not that it will change the timbre for you but it does make a difference on how they sound overall.
I love the sound of the Abyss but I like to move around a bit when I listen and this is kinda hard with them and was thinking of a pair of Diana Phi’s as they are so much more user friendly.
Hey if you like what you have then go for it it’s your ears and your money.

Dec 16, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #15 of 18
I have a love hate relationship with the 872’s. With acoustic music something like Neil Young they are very good but for other genres not so much really depends on the song but they are very comfortable and do really well at gaming that I don’t do a lot anymore.
On the HE-6SE I don’t think you have enough power for them if what you are using is what is in your profile inventory. I have the OG Abyss and they are a bit more sensitive than the HE-6SE so not as hard to drive and it seems amp topology has something to do with it as well but a 6 watt Drop THX 789 and Monoprice Cavalli Liquid Platinum at 6.6 watts @ 32 ohms both were hollow sounding and my little original Liquid Carbon does a much better job at running them but my Audio GD Master 9 at 9 watts really moves them for me. Not that it will change the timbre for you but it does make a difference on how they sound overall.
I love the sound of the Abyss but I like to move around a bit when I listen and this is kinda hard with them and was thinking of a pair of Diana Phi’s as they are so much more user friendly.
Hey if you like what you have then go for it it’s your ears and your money.

Thanks. Regarding HE6SE, @ 6W x 2 (32Ω), power is not the issue IMO. They don't sound hollow. I just don't like the artificial tonality (for me), and I doubt more power will fix that. I've never tried any of the Abyss HPs, but I'm interested in the Diana V2, which I heard is more comfortable than the phi. Will likely pick that up at some point. But for now, I'm on a hunt for HPs with good soundstage & imaging, and I'm leaning towards the HD800S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back