Which is more suitable, Shure srh750, AKG k540/k619, or Audio Technica M50?
Dec 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Gwaffed

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a new pair of headphones and can't seem to decide on a single pair.

I have read a few threads on this website and while its helpful, I keep shifting from one headphone to the next.

I am no producer or mixer or anything like that, but I do want good quality headphones with a good bass response. I listen to music on my iPod, and watch movies and play games on my PC and tablet. The music I listen to has a lot of bass and I do change the eq to bass boost because I like how it sounds. I have used beats products and while the bass is nice, the build quality is sub par for something over 200 euros, it has to last for at least 2 years. My friends beats tour broke twice in 2 years, and a beats Solo the cable gave problems within a year, its expensive to replace something you paid so much for in the first place. Also the bose products sound really good, but lack that bass punch, there is bass but its lacking and just disappointing for me.

Basically what I want is headphones with, a detachable cable single side/both sides doesn't matter as long as it can be replaced,  and a product that is durable, my budget is between 70 to 150 euros(+- $90 - $200) mainly for music on an iPod.

So far what has interested me from reviews and youtube videos is the shure SRH750, akg k540 and the newer k619, audio technica M50s.

Just want some help on whether my ipod will be able to power the shure 750 and the m50s, since its a dj headphone and comes with the bigger jack? I like music, enjoy bass but I do not own any mixing device or the like. 
Does the K619 have a detachable cable?
The M50 and the SRH750 has the bayonet type connection at the headphone with the coil in the cable, would it be possible to change it to a straight cable or another cable with a mic and volume controls?
In your opinion which of the 4 is most suitable for me?

If I am looking in the wrong department entirely, please do tell me what I should be looking at. Sorry for so many questions, just this site seemed to be helpful with many threads and reviews.

Thanks.

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #2 of 5
http://www.amazon.co.uk/AKG-Closed-Back-Reference-Class-Headphones--Black/dp/B005CNR7B0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1356024096&sr=8-1

Honestly, if you don't mind not having a detachable cable as much as you mind having better sound quality, go with these. The M50s are good for cheap headphones, but the sound quality really isn't impressive. You really have to mod them until you are blue in the face to get anything really good out of it. 

The shures are okay, but the sound stage is pathetic. 

The AKG K550s have great bass, great isolation, and the mids don't loose out to the bass like so many other headphones. 

Dec 20, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #3 of 5
Well the only phones you posted that have removable cables are the Shures and akg k540. I think the shures will suit you well, although - you can mod the m50s to have a removable cable like mine! super easy and there are threads about it. Sound wise I don't think the shures or k540 come close when it comes to sound accuracy. The m50s are great and you won't be sorry! Very durable as well, I use mine when i go out with my bag and I always just toss them in!

Dec 20, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 5
Tjj226 Angel Thanks for the reply, the reason I want a detachable cable is because I become less interested in the care of my things as they get older, bad habit I know. Its when that happens, the whole headphone is unusable because one side if the cable is damaged. From my home currency to the pound and euro is times 11-14 so it becomes a very expensive unusable item. I will have a look at the k550s in a shop but if the cable looks suspect, should I go towards the shures or k540s or perhaps a different brand and model?

@ TulianJan Thank you for the reply. If I do mod the M50 would a control volume and mic type of thing work or is that just pushing it?
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but is there something wrong with the AKG K540s since there isn't many reviews on it?

Apr 11, 2013 at 12:19 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Tjj226 Angel Thanks for the reply, the reason I want a detachable cable is because I become less interested in the care of my things as they get older, bad habit I know. Its when that happens, the whole headphone is unusable because one side if the cable is damaged. From my home currency to the pound and euro is times 11-14 so it becomes a very expensive unusable item. I will have a look at the k550s in a shop but if the cable looks suspect, should I go towards the shures or k540s or perhaps a different brand and model?

@ TulianJan Thank you for the reply. If I do mod the M50 would a control volume and mic type of thing work or is that just pushing it?
Sorry if this is a bit off topic but is there something wrong with the AKG K540s since there isn't many reviews on it?

Hell yeah there is. I do own the AKG K540 for 9 months now, and they have been fully burned in, but the sound quality still isn't very good. I bought them for $100 and I got the Deluxa Dynabass headphones today (they were $10) and the AKG's just sounds slightly better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back