Which KOSS clip-on Stereophone should I choose?
Nov 13, 2009 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

AnAnalogSpirit

500+ Head-Fier
Hello there fellow Head-Fi'ers...

I'm finding myself torn between the KOSS KSC35 and KSC75 SportClip Stereophones...

Could someone please take a moment to explain the differences, if any, between them besides the styling?

Also I _am_ aware the KSC75's have been heavily modded by the community. However I have no clue what those mods are or what they DO.

Additionally, I'll mention that while I prefer the design styling of the KSC35 more, I'd rather have the more technically astute pair of phones...

Anyone care to weigh in, and enlighten me? Or point me to the proper threads/links?

I'd greatly appreciate it!

Nov 13, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #2 of 4
I've used more than 12 pairs of different Koss headphones (KSC75s, KSC35s, PortaPros). In the end, I still like the KSC35s most. Much better design and fit than those of the KSC75. They have smoother sound and deeper bottom end (might be too much for some people). All the mods for the KSC75s can be done with the the KSC35s. Personally, I think the stock KSC35s sound great and no need to do any mod.

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #3 of 4
You might want to look into the yuin g2a. I haven't heard them, but have been doing my research on them and they appear to be some of the better reviewed clip on style phones out there right now. I own the ksc75, pro35a, and porta pros. Also, the px100. All of them are stock and unmodded. To me, they're all just okay. I don't think they're very good for attentive or critical listening, and better for passive or "fun" listening. I guess for under $30 they're good. ksc75 and pro35a sould be under $15, imho. Koss also has a nice lifetime warranty. In the future I might mod them, but I don't want to void their warranty. So, they're not at the sq level I was hoping for, which is why I have been researching the g2a, which seems to compare favorably against them all at a pricepoint that is not so bad.

With the g2a I was thinking of using my ksc75 clips or porta pro headband if they fit. I've read that the clips that come included with them are not very good. There's also the option of using the cheapo headband from parts express too.

Here are two threads I found useful. I think some modded clip ons are included here as well.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/b...c-75-a-424109/

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/s...murder-433318/

Nov 13, 2009 at 8:33 PM Post #4 of 4
I have Yuin G2a, KSC35, KSC75, PortaPro and Sportapros. I've tried all the mods and done multiple recables on all to see which cable makes the most sense (to my ears).

First thing is the PortaPro, SportaPro & KSC35 drivers are identical. Only difference with the PortaPro driver is that it is blue instead of black. Other than that, the different is the headband or in the case of the KSC35 its the black ear clip. Type of pads, fit, snugness and position can affect how they sound.

KSC75 is supposedly the same driver except it is Titanium coated. The Titanium coating changes the signature sound of the driver. I personally think the clips from the KSC75 are the most comfortable clips because they can be bent to accommodate your ear shape.

I've been a loyal Koss lover/freak for years. With that said, IMO the Yuin G2a sounds better. Once burned in (+100 hours). The clarity, tight bass and soundstage is superior to the Koss. The only issue I have with the sound signature of the G2a is some high end sibilance on some recordings. Recable with OFC helps this a lot.

To answer Rocksteady's question. Yes, the KSC75 clips will fit on the G2a. I've taken the G2a apart and the drivers look identical to the KSC35 driver but that's where the similarities end with the Koss.

I will be getting the G1a after I sell some stuff but the G1a is in another price range at $149.

I have read the "Best clip-ons" review and agree 100% with his assessment so I didn't see a need to do another review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back