Which one is the winner DT1990 or Sundara
Feb 8, 2021 at 2:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

twentyHz

100+ Head-Fier
Hi.

I just picked up some HiFiMan HE4XX for a steal of a price. I like them much better than the DT770's that I recently sold. I found that the DT770 lacked any low end, contradictory to many others impressions. The HE4XX have a nicer low end that the DT770 did.

I am looking at selling the HE4XX and purchase either DT1990 or Sundara. I an get a pair of open box DT1990 for the exact same price as a Sundara new. I have read many reviews on both and am leaning to the Sundara. Any thoughts?

There are two things stalling me from ordering the Sundara.
1. They need to be shipped from USA to Canada so it takes time and added expense with duties and shipping.
2. I do music production and the DT1990 are marketed to be mixing and mastering grade. Maybe they would be better for my purposes. I do however want something that is a bit fun to listen to as well have some accuracy...

Thanks

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:11 PM Post #6 of 18
Never heard the DT1990, but went from 4XX to Sundara this week, and if you like the 4XX you will love the Sundara.

Fantastic. I hope your right. I picked up the HE4XX for $100 open box (new) price and liked them a lot. I just sold them after a week with them to get the Sundara. I got a great price on an open box (new) on them as well from an authorized dealer. $200. I am excited to hear them but they are not arriving for a week or two.

Feb 11, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 18
just bought DT1990's and own sundara, bought both on votes by this forum so I had no skin the game so to say

first OP if you want to buy sundara new from hifiman use code " special29" at checkout and if that doesn't work try HIFIMAN29 for $29 off new sundara's

second for mixing and mastering the DT1990 wins every time

the detail is absolutely insane, the sundara's are less fatiguing and while having more recessed bass it is objectively planar and better, the sundara also has more forward mids but the detail on the DT1990 edges that fact out despite being v shaped, and of course BD win treble

if you want a headphone to listen to for 8 hours pics sundara if you want an uber detailed mixing headphone go DT1990. it's bass cannot win over planar but it's damn close

I wont spoil the rest of my review or the price and I think it's as good as a buy vs sundara but for the price you are quoting and usage DT1990 wins hands down

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #10 of 18
Imo the Sundara is the best headphone below 500€
The dt1990 is also good, but too bright for my personal taste.

Comfort wise and in terms of build quality the Beyerdynamic wins tho

Feb 11, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 18
Imo the Sundara is the best headphone below 500€
The dt1990 is also good, but too bright for my personal taste.

Comfort wise and in terms of build quality the Beyerdynamic wins tho
I think for the money especially considering some of the insane deals Hifiman runs the Sundara is the price to performance king almost at all times

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #12 of 18
I had the Ether C Closed, the Aeon Closed through Violectric High End DAC and Mojo 1 Dac as well as RME Babyface. I now have the Apple Airpod Max, the Beyerdynamic 900X Pro and the Beyerdynamic DT 1990. The Treble and Bass in the Beyerdynamic for listening pleasure needs to be equalised, but then its perfect. Right now I am equalising them with eqMac, but my Mojo 2 arrives today and it will be very interesting to have them FPGA eqalised. In my opinion the Planars are much easier going for extended listening sessions, but I am falling in love with the detail of the 1990s, even the 990x were good, but lacked a bit in certain regards. The Build Quality is of course great, and that is a factor, its ear cups give plenty of space for my big ears. I listen to HQ Ambient like Hello Strange, Secret Domain and others on Soundcloud. I will post a detailed review on my YouTube Channel this month.

Apr 2, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #13 of 18
I've got a DT1990 and had the Sundara a few times. The Sundara has a wide soundstage but it's flat as a pancake front to back for depth. Treble is smoother than the HE4xx, more refined otherwise. The DT1990 is fun and a lot less bright than the 990 in the sibilant region so it's more of an all day headphone. The A pads are fun, the B bass pads are a little more boring if you want to play it safe. They only come with one set of mounting rings so you have to spin them on each time. For music and gaming, the DT1990 hands down. For just music and front to back soundstage depth isn't an issue, I'd get them if they're $100 cheaper, but not at the same price as the Beyerdynamic.

Apr 2, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #14 of 18
I have to say that whilst a flat soundstage is sometimes said to be a planar thing ... (flat diaphragm ... flat soundstage ... ?) I have not found the Sundara lacking in soundstage depth. If a recording has that attribute, the Sundara seems to do it as well as my other, admittedly humble, headphones.

Perhaps the Chord DAC helps and perhaps I just don't own any headphones that excel in that way. Compared to my speaker system the little Sundara does similarly well.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #15 of 18
In no way it was my intention to bash the Sundara. I never heard it, but now I think I need to order one to compare. I got my Chord today and am in bliss with the crossfeed function, it gives the Beyer that bit more Omph, to forget its sterility. I opted for this headphone because I also will use it a lot for mixing audio. I boosted across the EQ of the Mojo 2 until it sounded right. The 20 KhZ I lowered make no mistake. I am getting a lot of acute Tinitus already, but I can't stop listening. I am very surprised by this Beyer-Mojo combo, I was staying away from Beyer, Senn and AKG for that treble issue. I need to compare to a Planar soon and will let you know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back