Which would sound better?
Aug 27, 2001 at 5:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

coolvij

Board geriatric
I've just recently started to *hear* the limitations of cruddy DACs, and now that I've got my Sennheiser 495s, I would like to upgrade my source.

I currently have a Sony D-121. I thought it was GREAT out of the line-out, but I now know that isn't true, since I compared it to the line-out of the D-EJ616 my dad has, and they were the same. I kno the latter PCDP isn't that great....so my D-121 isn't either
frown.gif

Oh well.

Anyways, two things have occured to me. One was to pair a good portable CD player with digital out to the CAL Gamma. The other was to get an inexpensive component CDP, like the TEAC CDP-1120.

I figure the PCDP + Gamma will sound just as good, or at least MUCH better than the PCDP alone. I also realize that a component CDP less than $150 will probably outperform this setup - for LESS money.

However, my personal preference would be to go with the Gamma, simply because I kno it is a pretty good DAC, and that later on, a simple source upgrade would be enough. Or if I really wanted to upgrade the DAC, I would always kno my CAL Gamma would have a good resale vaule.

So - help me!
biggrin.gif

Also, I've read on the net concerns about using outboard DACs with Toslink connectors - are these concerns well-founded? Also, even if the TOSlink connection compromises the sound quality, won't the Gamma still sound better than the DAC of the PCDP?

The PCDP i'm lookin at right now is the Pana 570A or perhaps the Sony 825 if I can't get the former....

Thanx in advance, and sorry for the long-winded post,

- vij

Aug 27, 2001 at 5:22 PM Post #2 of 10
Hey Vij!

I'd say that the concerns about using TOSlink (or rather optical in general) aren't something you should worry about. Neither your transport or potential DAC is really high-end enough to highlight the differences between coaxial and optical. I think that either way you go, you'll have fine sound. But instead of getting the TEAC, I think the Gamma would give you better sound. Mind, this is not coming from personal experience, but considering that you're buying what's often hailed as a high-value DAC which doesn't spend money on a transport, I think you'd be better off just using your PCDP as transport.

Dan

Aug 27, 2001 at 5:36 PM Post #4 of 10
chych - remember the last time you mentioned the Denon - in AIM? That was a memory too painful for me to forget....
rolleyes.gif

Also, ai0tron described the Denon as "digital" sounding - clear, crisp, and fatiguing. That is, without an MSB Link II. I think I'm just gonna go ahead and save up for that Sony SACD everyone's got nowadays
wink.gif
(333? meh...not like i've got the cash for THAT baby..). Thanx for the input, tho.

DanG: That's EXACTLY what I wanted to read. heh - now I feel better....I was afraid I wanted to do something stupid (common occurence) and that I'd realize it AFTER shelling out the money...
eek.gif
tongue.gif

Aug 27, 2001 at 5:39 PM Post #5 of 10
Coolvij, MAKE UP YOUR MIND!!
biggrin.gif

I too think a component CDP is the better idea. A while ago I had a DAC on loan and both my component CDP and the component CDP>DAC combo kicked the PCDP>DAC combo big time.
I mean, a PCDP is just really lousy as a transport. I know a DAC looks sexy, but combine it with a PCDP and it sounds ugly.

Aug 27, 2001 at 5:55 PM Post #6 of 10
which DAC did you have? I mean, the CAL Gamma is a mid-fi wonder that is supposed to do amazing things with not quite amazing sources.....

Aug 27, 2001 at 6:14 PM Post #7 of 10
It was an Audio Alchemy DAC in the Box. I guess it is in the same class as the Gamma.

Also, it is impossible to do something amazing with a signal that is not so amazing. I really can't see why you would want to go for a PCDP>DAC combo. For the price of a descent PCDP and the DAC you could also get a cheap component CDP such as a Teac, JVC or Technics that sounds a lot better.

Aug 27, 2001 at 6:14 PM Post #8 of 10
Vij,

I'd suggest you get some sorbothane for your portable to make it a little less jitter-prone. Perhaps a standalone CDP feeding a DAC sounds better than a portie as transport, but that's not an option. Also, getting a crappy standalone is an interim solution. You'll have to sell it, give it away, burn it, or otherwise get rid of it eventually to upgrade. You'll always have use for a portable. Just like you said, the Gamma will retain its value and you'll be able to sell it more easily than a TEAC or whatever you wanted to get.

Those are just my suggestions, but to me they make sense. I have too frequently bought items that I've had to sell off, return, or trade off to get something better. I really don't like that idea, especially since it's happening again with my Wheatfield. The Gamma is a fine unit and the best for the money and what it does, from the numerous reviews and laudatory comments I've read. You could use it in a really good portable system if you travel. A cheap CDP, however, is something begging to be upgraded.

Dan

Aug 27, 2001 at 10:06 PM Post #9 of 10
I'm with DanG here, wab.

And also - it's hard to explain, but with parents divorced, math NEVER works....so...I basically F&^! math. I mean, I *could* get a good component CDP for the money, but I *CAN'T*. The best I CAN get is the TEAC CDP-1120 or comparably priced unit...it's too bad that JVC is so expensive out here; I'd probably go with that if it were more like $100....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back