Which would you recommend for producing/mastering?
Feb 19, 2014 at 4:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

rob24g

New Head-Fier
Hey there guys, so I've been producing EDM (electro/dutch/house) for a little over 4 months now.  I use FL studio and crappy logitech speakers (here and there) and beats by dre to produce all my songs on. (yes I know beats by dre are **** on a stick, I got these as a gift.) 

That being said its time for a new set of cans.. I had three in mind, so my question to you is.. if you won a contest and you were able to select one which would it be?

1. Audio-Technica ATH-M50
2. V-MODA Crossfade LP
3. KRK KNS8400

If you wouldn't chose any of the 3 above, what would it be? (keep in mind I'm in the $100-$150 range)

Also I've noticed a lot of people tend to produce on studio monitors such as krk rokit's and yamaha hs's.  Due to living in a dorm room and having a ton of people living around me I just wouldn't be able to purchase these and produce when I want.  Will my productions take a hit because I'm solely producing on headphones?

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 10
I recommend using open-back headphones with good bass FR and extension. You'll be able to create your music with better instrument separation and stereo phasing if you use reverb and delay. You don't want headphones where the bass bleeds into the midrange either cause then you won't be able to accurately impliment your limiters and compression.

Feb 19, 2014 at 8:29 PM Post #4 of 10
$100-$150 doesnt have much to choose from but in that price range you probably would want to get the AKG K240's (semi open), Sony 7510 (closed back) or Shure SRH840 (closed back). The reason I listed to Closed headphones is becasue they usually have a better bass response than opens (or semi-opens) in the same price range. Although the K240's are very nice

Feb 26, 2014 at 4:31 AM Post #5 of 10
Open includes the Audio Technica ATH-AD700 in there as well

Feb 26, 2014 at 6:07 AM Post #6 of 10
If I were you I would propably get audio technica ath-m40fs for $49. It is a really cheap but propably would do a better job than anything mentioned in this thread. Best thing is that getting m40fs would leave you 100usd left from your original budget. Then you could keep to money and then save up 155usd more. With 255$ you could buy meir corda rock amplifier. It has crossfeed which would be a huge benefit. I know nothing about producing music but I think it is clear that without crossfeed you never get similar results you get with using speakers.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:42 AM Post #7 of 10
  If I were you I would propably get audio technica ath-m40fs for $49. It is a really cheap but propably would do a better job than anything mentioned in this thread. Best thing is that getting m40fs would leave you 100usd left from your original budget. Then you could keep to money and then save up 155usd more. With 255$ you could buy meir corda rock amplifier. It has crossfeed which would be a huge benefit. I know nothing about producing music but I think it is clear that without crossfeed you never get similar results you get with using speakers.

I really have to disagree with your statement ESPECIALLY since you state that you know nothing about producing. The ATH-M50's (which are of higher sonic quality than the M40fs's) are not flat enough nor have the clarity necassary for serious production. If you can't afford monitors the abosolute WORST thing you could do is skimp on your headphones, seeing as they will be your only source for checking your mix. Crossfeed isnt really usefull in production because it essentially turns everything into mono which ruins the point of the accuracy you gain with headphones.

Mar 2, 2014 at 2:47 AM Post #8 of 10
None 
The NVX XPT 100 has a good flat sound except a bit withdrawn in the Sub-Bass , it does not have the intense clarity but is much better than the infamous be all end all recommendation the "M50" which has grain and is immensely overrated 

Mar 2, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #9 of 10
Originally Posted by kid vic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I really have to disagree with your statement ESPECIALLY since you state that you know nothing about producing. The ATH-M50's (which are of higher sonic quality than the M40fs's) are not flat enough nor have the clarity necassary for serious production. If you can't afford monitors the abosolute WORST thing you could do is skimp on your headphones, seeing as they will be your only source for checking your mix. Crossfeed isnt really usefull in production because it essentially turns everything into mono which ruins the point of the accuracy you gain with headphones.

M50's are not improved version of M40fs. Those are two completley different headphones. M40fs is extremely flat sounding headphone with great clarity. Buying cheaper alternative is not necessarely skimping out.

Crossfeed does not turn things mono. Have ever tried one? I have crossfeed on my amp, it also has mono option. Difference between mono and crossfeed is obvious. Here is a video about spl phonitor crossfeed amplifier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7iHJY-lbLE

That thing works and in the video it is clearly explained what is wrong using headphones in the studio and why crossfeed is so usefull. 

Mar 4, 2014 at 6:03 PM Post #10 of 10

M50's are not improved version of M40fs. Those are two completley different headphones. M40fs is extremely flat sounding headphone with great clarity. Buying cheaper alternative is not necessarely skimping out.

Crossfeed does not turn things mono. Have ever tried one? I have crossfeed on my amp, it also has mono option. Difference between mono and crossfeed is obvious. Here is a video about spl phonitor crossfeed amplifier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7iHJY-lbLE

That thing works and in the video it is clearly explained what is wrong using headphones in the studio and why crossfeed is so usefull. 

I humbly recede my statement regarding crossfeed; I'm not sure if I have tried the M40fs but I do own a pair of lower end audio technica phones and have tried the M50's which lead me to believe that the M40fs wouldnt be ideal for production. I think FL studio (or another DAW) has/had a crossfeed option that really sucked and made things sound almost completely mono, but a proper stand alone amplifier probably makes a huge difference.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back