While we are waiting for our Zana Deux'es... Who's in on this run?
May 20, 2008 at 10:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

nor_spoon

Headphoneus Supremus
Thought it would be fun to know who on head-fi are in on this run, waiting for their Zana Deux.
Also, what kind of equipment you're going to use with it would be nice, expectations etc.

I have the HD650 and RS-1, an ONTech Monster DAC, using PC as source.

I am using the Darkvoice 332 at the moment.

I don't really know what to expect, but for the HD650, I hope the ZD will open them up more with larger soundstage and transparency, added dynamics and depth, and tighten the bass. But I think it's just the signature sound of the senns, and maybe too much to hope for.

For the RS-1, I hope that it will add some depth and soundstage along with instrument separation, which I think can be a little crammed at times. Everything sounds kind of small in the RS-1's, and hopefully the ZD put some meat to the bone...

And finally, waiting is pain
biggrin.gif

May 20, 2008 at 3:54 PM Post #2 of 52
Not on the list yet but just e-mailed him.Told me its the last run at this price $1900.There will be more @ $2500 which will include tubes,dress plate,teflon rca jacks ect .
I'm having a fit trying to decide between the woo,zana,yammamota

May 20, 2008 at 9:03 PM Post #3 of 52
Yes, it's hard to make the decision, isn't it
rolleyes.gif

Unfortunately, I am not of much help, as I haven't heard any of those amps.

May 20, 2008 at 11:13 PM Post #4 of 52
I have the woo6 now with grado 1k's and truely love it,also the paradesia+ dac.From what I can glean from all the threads the w4-zan would be a step up.Woo audio is first class all the way for sure,and Craig answered my inquiries in record time.Still haven't heard from yammy yet so Ive narrowed it down to two.

May 21, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 52
Yes, Craig has excellent customer service, and has responded very fast to my mails.
For me, it's important that I can trust the seller, and know I will get a reply within reasonable time if something should happen or come up, also especially since I am an overseas buyer.

May 21, 2008 at 4:39 PM Post #6 of 52
There's going to be another run of ZDs? I thought there'd be no more after the current run. Hrmm, this actually poses a predicament for me. Would a ZD be a better match for Grado HP2, Audio-Technica W5000 & AD2000, and AKG K701 over the SP Extreme Platinum? I'm guessing I may as well flip a coin, right?
wink.gif
Are the tube-rolling possibilities roughly equivalent between the two amps?

May 21, 2008 at 10:21 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's going to be another run of ZDs? I thought there'd be no more after the current run. Hrmm, this actually poses a predicament for me. Would a ZD be a better match for Grado HP2, Audio-Technica W5000 & AD2000, and AKG K701 over the SP Extreme Platinum? I'm guessing I may as well flip a coin, right?
wink.gif

I won't be of much help since I haven't heard any of the cans you mention, but from what I have read, there might be more synergetic combos than the ZD and K701. The Extreme has more tube rolling options when using the adapters. BTW, there is a thread in here somewhere discussing the ZD vs Extreme.

[Edit:] Here's the thread

May 21, 2008 at 11:17 PM Post #8 of 52
it seems that EC will introduce a balanced tube amp later this year for around $2500 or so. that is the product i am waiting for.

balanced + tube =
smily_headphones1.gif

May 22, 2008 at 6:55 AM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it seems that EC will introduce a balanced tube amp later this year for around $2500 or so. that is the product i am waiting for.

balanced + tube =
smily_headphones1.gif

Yeah, the balanced amp is exciting, but from what Craig told me those amps are apples and oranges. Anyway, going balanced is no option for me.
The ZD is supposed to be my last amp upgrade for years to come, and I think I have done a good choice
smily_headphones1.gif
Somewhere its gotta stop, at least for me, as my wallet is thin as it is after discovering this site
biggrin.gif

But hey! that's what they all say, isn't it?
wink.gif

May 23, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #10 of 52
I'm also on this run for the ZD. The waiting is killing me!! Planning on using it with the HP-2 and HD650/Equinox.

I saw a FirstWatt for sale now in the FS forum... Thinking of buying it. I've heard that the ZD + F1 + K1000 = a bit closer to Heaven.

Temptations, temptations, temptations...

May 23, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chimpie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also on this run for the ZD. The waiting is killing me!! Planning on using it with the HP-2 and HD650/Equinox.

I saw a FirstWatt for sale now in the FS forum... Thinking of buying it. I've heard that the ZD + F1 + K1000 = a bit closer to Heaven.

Temptations, temptations, temptations...

Hi Chimpie!
Waiting is the hardest part, maybe except the hit on the wallet
biggrin.gif

From what I read, the combination you mention play really well together. The ZD looks to be an excellent preamp as well.

If you want to, please post impression with the HD650/Equinox when you have listened with the ZD. I also have the HD650/Equinox and would be fun to hear how it sounds for you. I will give impressions as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Shouldn't be too long now. I think Craig is still waiting for the RCA jacks to arrive.

May 24, 2008 at 1:56 AM Post #12 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
wink.gif

I don't think I've ever heard the Extreme Platinum sound as good as at least one ZD setup, but which wins under most situations, or with those phones (though that one setup had the AD2Ks), I couldn't say (plus the Platinum, like most SPs, comes in several versions). I did think the Extreme won on tube possibilities though. Was I wrong there?

And as Bob mentioned both are a major jump from the stock WA6, though that is my favorite budget GS1K amp and sometimes I wish I still had it around for that Grado.

Nor_spoon you've certainly made a great choice. Although I have the Platinum, I'm a big fan of the ZD. Also with so many rushing to balanced (I've retreated back to SE), I really think you need to get to the Platinum/ZD level before it should even be considered. Like some CDPs that show what redbook is still capable of, the performance of these two really shows what is important investing in SE before you start splitting your cash between dual components in both channels. All things equal balanced wins. All budgets equal single-ended usually does.

May 24, 2008 at 11:05 AM Post #13 of 52
Do not worry man, HD650 and ZD are one of the best match you can get, imo. Zana isnt that tuby, however still a tube sounding amp, but with superb transparency, no influence to the sound what so ever. On the other hand tube rolling helps a lot, imo. Even people say that SP amps giving you wider options, most because of cheaper tubes use, it does not mean that ZD doesnt. Its still the matter of taste anyway.
cool.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you want to, please post impression with the HD650/Equinox when you have listened with the ZD. I also have the HD650/Equinox and would be fun to hear how it sounds for you. I will give impressions as well
smily_headphones1.gif

May 24, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #14 of 52
Actually, for me, I think it's a good thing that there isn't endless tube rolling options. I want to find a pair that I like, and then set and forget. Anyway, there's enough 6SL7 variants to try out
smily_headphones1.gif

I think and hope the ZD with its neutral character between tube/ss will be the perfect match for my dac, as the dac is more to the analog/musical side rather than analytical/steril if thats a way to describe it.
The Brimars and Valvos are eager to get to work
rolleyes.gif

May 24, 2008 at 12:57 PM Post #15 of 52
I'm not on the current run, I was on the previous run!
smily_headphones1.gif

The Zana Deux is probably the best-sounding dynamic amp I've heard. It sounds good with every headphone I've tried, Grado, AT, K701, Senns or Sony. I prefer the ZD over the AT-HA5000 with the W5000, and over the Raptor or Lehmann BCL with the HD6x0 or K701. The ZD definitely drives the Grados (HP-2, RS-1, PS-1) better than anything else I've tried.

The rectifiers are very inexpensive and Craig will include a pair. If you don't ask him for the other tubes, you'll also need a pair of 6C33C and one 6SL7. There's basically only one type of 6C33C. I'm using a Svetlana "Winged-C" pair and also have the regular ones with the "Y logo" that looks like a rocket.

Many 6SL7 tubes are sold in pairs so we ZD owners will probably have many duplicates. This is good for backup, but sometimes I feel bad about breaking up the matched pairs. This can't be avoided unless it's a balanced Zana Deux. A real one-box with external power supply, and dual 3-pin XLR outputs... calling Craig...
biggrin.gif
I like the Sylvania VT229, Sylvania 6SL7WGT brown base and the Mullard CV569.

In terms of tubes, the good thing about the ZD is that its tube complement is inexpensive. The highest cost is usually for the single 6SL7, and even so the 6SL7's are not very costly. Compare them with 6SN7 prices. Even a Raptor's three tubes is easily more costly than the ZD's five. I had a Telefunken ECC802S in my former Raptor that... no, I don't want to think about 12AU7 tubes anymore. Give me the better-sounding ZD and cheap 6SL7's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back