Who is thinking of buying the Schiit Yggdrasil?
Jan 31, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #16 of 226
phasure nos1a for those who want something closer to yggy's sticker - bit of a science project though. and for customers outside europe a big shipping bill if you have to return it.

Ah, thank you! Will do some digging - sounds interesting...

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:15 PM Post #17 of 226
I was hyped on this DAC a couple years ago, in part, due to Theta potential.
So take my money and don't let those pyrates disappoint.

Jan 31, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #18 of 226
Since I am still looking for a R2R DAC, I am highly interested in this DAC, but from what I read, I am afraid that is is so precise/analytical that it may be to picky with medium quality recording.  A DAC that need always Top Quality recording is not very usable an a daily basis.

Am I wrong ? only listening cessions or report will tell...

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:17 PM Post #19 of 226
B. -since I first heard Mike Moffat was involved with a new DAC. In the past I've owned one of Mike's custom built Citation 2s and also been waiting for this DAC since the Theta Gen 5A.

The guy builds a no BS product, period.

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:16 PM Post #20 of 226
Since I am still looking for a R2R DAC, I am highly interested in this DAC, but from what I read, I am afraid that is is so precise/analytical that it may be to picky with medium quality recording.  A DAC that need always Top Quality recording is not very usable an a daily basis.

Am I wrong ? only listening cessions or report will tell...

Your implied problems are actually what makes this unit a match made in heaven with tube amps. .
Imagine all that details properly placed in a large liquid 3d soundstage that best tubes doooowaahh

Feb 2, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #21 of 226
Your implied problems are actually what makes this unit a match made in heaven with tube amps. .
Imagine all that details properly placed in a large liquid 3d soundstage that best tubes doooowaahh

Thanks...so  I suppose it should be very Gooooood with my EddieCurent 445  
biggrin.gif

Feb 3, 2015 at 8:29 AM Post #22 of 226
  B. Take my money, Schiit. Now. ...Or, optionally, later when I actually have it. lol (By April, it may not be a problem.)

I had my eyes on a $60,000 DAC, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the Yggdrasil is even better.

(Oh, and I'm not just saying that. One guy told me it outperforms five-figure DACs he's heard. But I can't go into more detail than that.)

cool.gif
  What $60,000 DAC specifically?

I apologize if this is thread-jacking, but I would be curious to know, as well, what other DACs people are cross-shopping...

I've been looking at several other R2R NOS Dacs - if the Yggy is out by summer, it will be first on my list, assuming reviews support the hype...

Others I've been looking at: (I apologize if I fumble the product names - doing this from memory)
1. Audio-gd Master 7
2. TotalDac (the lower-end version)
3. Metrum Octave 8
4. MSB Analog DAC

As of now, the Yggy is competitive on price (assuming $2200-$2500) compared to the aforementioned ones on that list, which is driving a large part of my interest...

Answer: (C)

New DAC have surfaced.

Audio-GD Master 7 = Audio-GD HE-7
Metrum Octave 8?? - what's that the HEX?  =  Metrum Pavane

Feb 3, 2015 at 11:31 AM Post #23 of 226
Well, the M7 is still there. The HE-7 just adds a regenerative PSU basically.
No idea what audible improvement that brings... :D

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:51 PM Post #25 of 226

TRINITY DAC. (Many people think it sounds better than the dCS Vivaldi!)

For $60,000 I would expect that they would use custom machined interface buttons. And not the typical Bulgin/E-Switch momentary switches found on most DIY gear.

Except for the power switch, a mis-application of their purpose. (At least Bryston kept their buttons subdued.)

Anyone have pics of the innards of this DAC? It seems they use an integrated power supply.

At least they include a pair of cotton gloves with the purchase.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:59 PM Post #26 of 226

TRINITY DAC. (Many people think it sounds better than the dCS Vivaldi!)

You've been thinking about buying high end gear for months. I thought you were going to get HD800s and/or Abyss before you even started on the other components. It looks like you haven't gotten the headphones yet, either?

I'd probably avoid direct comparison to the new hotness in uber DACs designed to sell like hotcakes into mainland China. I've heard great stories about the crowd who buys those DACs, including but not limited to green cloth/towel dampers for tubes that improve the sound, removing of ALL shielding and usage of bare wire on risers for ICs, etc.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #27 of 226
  For $60,000 I would expect that they would use custom machined interface buttons. And not the typical Bulgin/E-Switch momentary switches found on most DIY gear.

Except for the power switch, a mis-application of their purpose. (At least Bryston kept their buttons subdued.)

Anyone have pics of the innards of this DAC? It seems they use an integrated power supply.

At least they include a pair of cotton gloves with the purchase.

Just Google it. There are many threads on other sites about it, including internal photos and descriptions of its design.

(There aren't many people on this site who spend that much on DACs, and those who do anywhere usually use them with speakers, not headphones.)

You've been thinking about buying high end gear for months. I thought you were going to get HD800s and/or Abyss before you even started on the other components. It looks like you haven't gotten the headphones yet, either?

I'd probably avoid direct comparison to the new hotness in uber DACs designed to sell like hotcakes into mainland China. I've heard great stories about the crowd who buys those DACs, including but not limited to green cloth/towel dampers for tubes that improve the sound, removing of ALL shielding and usage of bare wire on risers for ICs, etc.

It's just a matter of the cash. I used to make a lot of money (even spent $20-30K on my music collection years ago), but not anymore. Should change within a few months. I may even get the SR-009 and Abyss (with the Ragnarok, Woo WEE, and possibly a speaker amp if I can't safely use the Ragnarok to drive electrostats with the WEE) and skip the HD 800 for the moment, since it seems to be similar enough to the SR-009.

Obviously, I would get the best headphones before high-end amps, DACs, etc. And I would get the Yggdrasil long before trying five-figure stuff.

Feb 3, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #28 of 226
I'm considering purchasing this DAC.  I bought the Rag and sold it within a couple weeks and in my opinion it didn't compete with the top tube amps in my stable, particularly on tone/timbre (although it is in a totally different price bracket.)  I have not found any Schiit product to date anything more than a very solid performance to value proposition.  Even on the DAC front, the Gung (even with Wyrd) I found bettered by DACs a few hundred more (+ wyrd) and the Mojo never particularly impressed me outside of its cost to performance.  In short, nothing they have produced has been "best," just "best in weight class."

I still plan on buying an Yggy as 1) Schiit products are hotly anticipated and retain value on early resale market, and 2) It promises to do some things different than pretty much all trending computer audio companies and I find that intriguing.  At the very least it will offer an interesting change of pace from the other DACs I've owned, some of which have USB input cards that cost nearly as much as the Yggdrasil.  I think some of these luxury DAC companies have D&D dice that they roll to decide how many zeroes to tack on to their price.

Feb 3, 2015 at 3:10 PM Post #30 of 226

Just Google it. There are many threads on other sites about it, including internal photos and descriptions of its design.

(There aren't many people on this site who spend that much on DACs, and those who do anywhere usually use them with speakers, not headphones.)

It's just a matter of the cash. I used to make a lot of money (even spent $20-30K on my music collection years ago), but not anymore. Should change within a few months. I may even get the SR-009 and Abyss (with the Ragnarok, Woo WEE, and possibly a speaker amp if I can't safely use the Ragnarok to drive electrostats with the WEE) and skip the HD 800 for the moment, since it seems to be similar enough to the SR-009.

Obviously, I would get the best headphones before high-end amps, DACs, etc. And I would get the Yggdrasil long before trying five-figure stuff.

Same here!  Was thinking about offering someone 50K to build me a T2 Stax amp, to go with either my MSB Select or Trinity DAC (haven't decided yet, might get both). I'll probably get a couple more pairs of SR-009's for back up too. It's just a matter of cash right now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back