Why I think ZMF is the best headphone company in the world.
Nov 16, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #31 of 54
Amazing story and collection! I've not had the opportunity to meet the ZMF team in person, but they are definitely the best headphone company I've ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

Your artful and magnificent display of headphones is a beauty to behold. Though it'd give me severe anxiety to ever leave the house.

Nov 16, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #32 of 54
Excellent write up, thank you for sharing your story with us!

Coming from the "Dad" perspective, it's a great reminder to keep sharing my love of music with my kids. Was just listening with my youngest earlier this morning, oddly enough using a Cayin CS-100DAC that I got from Zach, a Niimbus US4+, along with a Caldera for me and an Atrium Closed for my little guy. Wish we could have sat there for hours.

As for Zach, I'll echo what so many others have already said. Since the start of my writing gig way back in the InnerFidelity days I've interacted with hundreds of industry folks, from PR/marketing people to designers and engineers to the actual CEO types or owners of the entire company, etc. Zach stands out as one of the most refreshingly honest, knowledgeable, capable people I've ever encountered. He's truly a master of his craft but remains so humble and approachable that it just feels like chatting with a pal. That's exceedingly rare these days, and it's great to watch him succeed on such a large scale.

Nov 16, 2023 at 3:10 PM Post #33 of 54
Skip ahead a few months.

Life was becoming busy, and I felt like I was in a bit of a rut. Many of my nights were spent trying to occupy my mind and not think about work, or what had been happening in my life. Not that I was self-pitying, just that it was a bit much, and I tend not to think of myself as often as I should. I imagine that is what most mean by self-care. I saw that there was a headphone show coming up, and I figured, what the hell? Time for a mini vacation? I hadn't been on one in years, so I was able to justify it to myself. On the other hand, convincing my Fiance to go to a “headphone show” was a bit of a task. But I have been in sales for many years so it didn't take that long (“just think of all the cool restaurants we can eat at baby!”)

My main reason for going was to demo the Caldera, and even possibly meet Zach, this random person I had seen in the forums and YouTube. Seemed like a cool guy, and it would give me a chance to nerd out with a fellow enthusiast, talk tube amps, etc. I grabbed some tickets, we packed up, hopped in the truck, and were on the way.

We get to the show, and it's epic. All of the gear that I had lusted after is here, everyone is excited, and the event has a buzz to it. I sit down at a few tables, try some very good gear, and then I see it. Over in the corner, the ZMF room. I walk by it a few times just because I am working up the courage to go in. At this point, I am a pretty big fan of their stuff, and own multiple sets, but don't want to come off like a fanboy.

FAF3645E-C8FC-4A1A-90BE-D0E301A4FD47.jpeg

I eventually get over myself, say screw it and go in. I instantly feel like one of those kids in the original Willy Wonka movie when he first opens the door to the mixing room and candy factory. So much cool gear, so many amps/dacs, all the ones you read about and see in the videos, and SO MANY cool headphones, all in different colors and woods. Oh yeah 😀

After I dabbled about a bit, I finally got the nerve to go talk to the big guy himself. He and Bevin were over in the corner talking about something and I didn’t originally want to barge in. But I did have questions about a Caldera so….. Here I go. To be honest, I don't even remember what I said, but I can say that any perceived notion I had about meeting Zach was instantly washed away. He was so down to earth, calm, polite, cool, and almost seemed nervous that he wasn't sure if people would like the Caldera. I was like, is this the same guy who has no idea of all the people who absolutely love what he creates? That rave over the art, the sound, the dedication to improve, and the service? Who has entire threads about how great the product is and are so happy to show off what they bought and received? This guy?!

IMG_20230624_124004.jpg

So anyway, we get to talking, and I ended up leaving with 2 Calderas, as I couldn’t put either of them down. As I was leaving, I remembered that he makes custom wood headphones and that I have this neat piece of wood that was my father's, and I have no idea what I should do with it. But wouldn't it be cool as a keepsake or memento since he wanted to make something cool out of it, but unfortunately never had the chance? He said yeah, it might be possible, and then we said goodbyes, and I went back home, Caldera (x2) in tow, happy as could be. It wasn't really thought of again for a while.

I was emailing Zach about another set and remembered our conversation that was had at the event. I sent him a few pictures of the piece, and asked what was possible. I’ll spare you the series of emails (it was a LOT!) and eventually I mailed him the piece of wood. Zach stated during this email exchange that he had been thinking of starting a custom program, but wasn't ready to do so yet. But that this could be a neat way to test the idea and the process.

I also sent a few examples of what I wanted them to look like. Teal/torquoise was one of my father's favorite colors, and I wanted something that would be special but also artistic. I remember seeing a bunch of neat resin tables online, so I sent Zach these as an example:

Hf26193ff443a40e49b21a25439a67843F.jpg

Now, I know that this is the headphone guy, but I have to admit that I was a bit nervous. What is the wood turns out really ugly? What if the wood just explodes on the drill/lathe/CNC machine? What if it turns to dust when they try to machine it? A lot was going through my head, but eventually I calmed down and just had to trust the people I sent it to. After all, if anyone could make it right, it had to be ZMF. I am sure that my piece was not the worst they had ever worked with.

I’ll keep this short. Here is what I sent them, and here is what I received in return.

20231013_134648.jpg

20231018_093555 (1).jpg

20231018_093535.jpg

20231113_103950.jpg

20231113_103955.jpg

20231113_104028.jpg

20231113_104627.jpg

20231113_104637.jpg

20231113_104648.jpg

In conclusion, this public testimonial serves as an expression of heartfelt gratitude for transforming a seemingly worthless, sentimental artifact into a living testament to my father's legacy.

20230423_181230.jpg

I made this post as a way of publicly saying thank you to Zach, Bevin, and the ZMF team. This was such a wonderful experience, and it means the world to me that a company as successful and busy as ZMF would even take a moment to make something so special and dear to my heart.

Seriously, thank you. @zach915m
As a father of a son myself, I am pretty sure your father’s heart would melt if he could have seen that Caldera on your head. Well done!
Apart from everything else mentioned in headfi about Zach, throughout our correspondence with him since 2019, I found out that he is an extremely considerate and empathetic person and what he did for you is the proof of this. It is not only about what he says but more about how he expresses himself while saying it. He acts in a way in no way he has to, offers solutions, acts accordingly. This is coming from a guy half way across the world. Bravo ZMF!

Nov 16, 2023 at 4:04 PM Post #34 of 54
When I heard of what @OnlySoMany wanted to do I felt the need to really honor his wishes, but it also made me a nervous wreck to embark on something that we needed to really get right. On a personal level I'm so pleased, and relieved that this turned out so well, and I also didn't know all the details posted here so this just makes it all the more satisfying. It's the core reason why I like making things for people, we as people are basically what we leave behind whether it be physical, emotional, existential etc etc. This kind of thing ties a lot of who we are as a species together where everyone shares and receives something. Thank you for the opportunity @OnlySoMany - it's an honor.

Anyways - from a production standpoint, this is the type of project we are looking to do in the future more of, and are working on a custom shop schematic so we can make more personalized headphones more often. Pricing it out and doing it a couple times is the only way to figure that out. So hopefully this is the first of a number of great projects like that, and int he coming year we will have more announcements as to how this might work, how much it will cost and all the like.

Thank you again; they turned out better than I imagined they would. I wanted to get the story out there so that people who are looking for similar things can contact you and help them gain closure or cope with a loss. Each time I look at them, I am reminded not only of this positive experience, but also of all the times my father and I were rocking out listening to music, and how special he was to me.

My genuine hope is that others will reach out to you for the same, and it can assist you in getting the custom shop set up so that others can feel the same as I do. I have never had a company assist me in this way.

Just so the other forum members know, I would often get updates from Zach every few days, even at 10PM at night, as he was catching up on emails from the day. Obviously, he is very busy and doesn't have to do that, and I don't expect him always to be able to as ZMF grows, but it shows that he truly cares about what he does.

Thank you all for commenting on this thread. It's nice to see others that recognize how cool this is, but also to hear your life stories. It's funny how you can see that no matter how different we are, we are alike in just as many ways.

I look forward to seeing what you create for others and hearing their stories.

Nov 16, 2023 at 5:20 PM Post #35 of 54
Skip ahead a few months.

Life was becoming busy, and I felt like I was in a bit of a rut. Many of my nights were spent trying to occupy my mind and not think about work, or what had been happening in my life. Not that I was self-pitying, just that it was a bit much, and I tend not to think of myself as often as I should. I imagine that is what most mean by self-care. I saw that there was a headphone show coming up, and I figured, what the hell? Time for a mini vacation? I hadn't been on one in years, so I was able to justify it to myself. On the other hand, convincing my Fiance to go to a “headphone show” was a bit of a task. But I have been in sales for many years so it didn't take that long (“just think of all the cool restaurants we can eat at baby!”)

My main reason for going was to demo the Caldera, and even possibly meet Zach, this random person I had seen in the forums and YouTube. Seemed like a cool guy, and it would give me a chance to nerd out with a fellow enthusiast, talk tube amps, etc. I grabbed some tickets, we packed up, hopped in the truck, and were on the way.

We get to the show, and it's epic. All of the gear that I had lusted after is here, everyone is excited, and the event has a buzz to it. I sit down at a few tables, try some very good gear, and then I see it. Over in the corner, the ZMF room. I walk by it a few times just because I am working up the courage to go in. At this point, I am a pretty big fan of their stuff, and own multiple sets, but don't want to come off like a fanboy.

I eventually get over myself, say screw it and go in. I instantly feel like one of those kids in the original Willy Wonka movie when he first opens the door to the mixing room and candy factory. So much cool gear, so many amps/dacs, all the ones you read about and see in the videos, and SO MANY cool headphones, all in different colors and woods. Oh yeah 😀

After I dabbled about a bit, I finally got the nerve to go talk to the big guy himself. He and Bevin were over in the corner talking about something and I didn’t originally want to barge in. But I did have questions about a Caldera so….. Here I go. To be honest, I don't even remember what I said, but I can say that any perceived notion I had about meeting Zach was instantly washed away. He was so down to earth, calm, polite, cool, and almost seemed nervous that he wasn't sure if people would like the Caldera. I was like, is this the same guy who has no idea of all the people who absolutely love what he creates? That rave over the art, the sound, the dedication to improve, and the service? Who has entire threads about how great the product is and are so happy to show off what they bought and received? This guy?!

IMG_20230624_124004.jpg

So anyway, we get to talking, and I ended up leaving with 2 Calderas, as I couldn’t put either of them down. As I was leaving, I remembered that he makes custom wood headphones and that I have this neat piece of wood that was my father's, and I have no idea what I should do with it. But wouldn't it be cool as a keepsake or memento since he wanted to make something cool out of it, but unfortunately never had the chance? He said yeah, it might be possible, and then we said goodbyes, and I went back home, Caldera (x2) in tow, happy as could be. It wasn't really thought of again for a while.

I was emailing Zach about another set and remembered our conversation that was had at the event. I sent him a few pictures of the piece, and asked what was possible. I’ll spare you the series of emails (it was a LOT!) and eventually I mailed him the piece of wood. Zach stated during this email exchange that he had been thinking of starting a custom program, but wasn't ready to do so yet. But that this could be a neat way to test the idea and the process.

I also sent a few examples of what I wanted them to look like. Teal/torquoise was one of my father's favorite colors, and I wanted something that would be special but also artistic. I remember seeing a bunch of neat resin tables online, so I sent Zach these as an example:

Now, I know that this is the headphone guy, but I have to admit that I was a bit nervous. What is the wood turns out really ugly? What if the wood just explodes on the drill/lathe/CNC machine? What if it turns to dust when they try to machine it? A lot was going through my head, but eventually I calmed down and just had to trust the people I sent it to. After all, if anyone could make it right, it had to be ZMF. I am sure that my piece was not the worst they had ever worked with.

I’ll keep this short. Here is what I sent them, and here is what I received in return.

20231013_134648.jpg

20231018_093555 (1).jpg

20231018_093535.jpg

20231113_103950.jpg

20231113_103955.jpg

20231113_104028.jpg

20231113_104627.jpg

20231113_104637.jpg

20231113_104648.jpg

In conclusion, this public testimonial serves as an expression of heartfelt gratitude for transforming a seemingly worthless, sentimental artifact into a living testament to my father's legacy.

20230423_181230.jpg

I made this post as a way of publicly saying thank you to Zach, Bevin, and the ZMF team. This was such a wonderful experience, and it means the world to me that a company as successful and busy as ZMF would even take a moment to make something so special and dear to my heart.

Dude, you just won HeadFi!

That's so farking amazing!!!

Nov 16, 2023 at 6:26 PM Post #36 of 54
What a wonderful read! Thanks for sharing <3

And I agree. ZMF is one of the best thing to happen in this industry and hobby in a *very* long time. I'm not saying that because I'm a ZMF fanboy (which I admittedly am). Zach & Bevin and the whole ZMF team know what they're doing, both aesthetically and sonically.

Nov 16, 2023 at 10:41 PM Post #37 of 54
That is such a wonderful story thanks for sharing. I heard so many great things about zach/bev and ZMF even though I won’t get any full size headphones as I am iem guy , his investment in community what makes it great, reminds me of old times when I used have so many discussions with Justin from headamp or Ray samuels. That is what makes this community great place to hang out

Nov 17, 2023 at 2:36 AM Post #38 of 54
Thank you for sharing! Touching, aspirational, and inspiring.
Was that a VC or AC along with the Caldera? Man, I'd have so many questions about pad preferences and tubes 🤣.

I felt rage for you seeing what those punks did to his home and finished reading misty eyed. The whole journey feels even better as a ZMF head myself starting from the HD650 back in 2010; those laser cut cedar owner cards hit different when you see your name in it.

Nov 17, 2023 at 3:40 AM Post #39 of 54
Skip ahead a few months.

IMG_20230624_124004.jpg

20231013_134648.jpg

20231018_093555 (1).jpg

20231018_093535.jpg

20231113_103950.jpg

20231113_103955.jpg

20231113_104028.jpg

20231113_104627.jpg

20231113_104637.jpg

20231113_104648.jpg

20230423_181230.jpg

This is the best post i have ever seen on this site. Thank you for sharing

Nov 18, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #40 of 54
Fantastic story. Thanks for sharing it.
It is only possible to become true by really passionate and sensible people.
Great job @zach915m
Another reasont to support this wonderful company.
Since getting the first ZMF headphones i promised myself that as long i will enjoy this hobby there is a place for at least 1 set of ZMF cans staying in my collection.
Tried few of them getting back and forth.

#ZMF Gang
Cheers

Nov 24, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #41 of 54
What an amazing story! I can't even imagine how special it must be to listen to music on those headphones knowing your father is there with you. :blush:

Nov 25, 2023 at 9:03 PM Post #43 of 54
I had to take a pause from reading as soon as I saw your shelf. do you have a youtube channel? Audio Addicts?
Yes, I plan on updating it soon. Been busy with work and family lately, but it's coming soon. Lots of people been asking about it.

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #44 of 54
How do you like your ZMF headphones off your WA33?

Nov 25, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #45 of 54
How do you like your ZMF headphones off your WA33?
Really great overall. I don't have any complaints. In my main listening station I use the Viva Egoista 845 now, and it's the best amp I've ever heard. Expensive, but imo worth every penny, especially if you have a supporting high end source. The Woo is a great runner up. Different flavors for different moods.

Woo is a bit bassier, Viva is more realistic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back