Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 6, 2016 at 12:05 AM Post #37,756 of 42,298

Congrats on the new amp. It is a great amp. I have a new found respect for it at the moment. Mine is singing beautifully.

Woo does do things differently in some circuits. Especially drive circuits. Could be why they don't work.

Thanks @Badas for the warm welcome!  It is a fabulous amp.  I wish I would have purchased it a long time ago.

Thank for the info.  I'll sell my EL3Ns and adapters so I can buy some better tubes.

Quote:

They will not work in the WA22
With that adapter it is a single tube the WA22 is a push pull amp and needs a dual triode.

Thanks for the heads up @2359glenn! I learn something new about this hobby all the time.

Congrats. Tubes certainly have a charm about them that is hard to replicate with solid state. You'll find very few complaints about the Woo amps, they are built very well. I guess I do have a complaint about the price of the WA-5, if only it was about 15 bucks. But other than that.

I think that we would all recommend, as far as 6SN7 goes, to skip it entirely, get a pair of 6F8G adapters, and use either 6F8G or 6C8G. Both are much cheaper than 6SN7, and the equivalents sound the same. Both National Union and Tung sols are great. RCA made a good sounding tube as well. The best of the 6SN7 has just gotten to be too ridiculously expensive. Hard to put a pair of driver tubes in your WA2 that cost almost as much as the amp. Definitely hard for me to consider it for my WA6.

Anyways, enjoy the tube rolling. Please ask questions here, there is a wealth of information, and not many in this thread get grumpy about being asked the same questions. We like this hobby, and aside from the fact that new people getting into drive the prices of these old tubes up, we are happy to help you in any way we can. And before someone else says it, get the Brimar rectifier from Langrex. Get 4 in fact, just to future proof yourself.

@Porteroso I know exactly what you mean.  I've tried going to SS and just can't shake off the glow of tubes.

Will have to try some of these tubes.  Yeah prices are ridiculous on some of the 6SN7s.  How do 12AU7s with adapters play with the WA22?  

The Brimars look like a steal.  We are talking about the 5Z4G BRIMAR correct?  $27 USD is a good price.  Much better than Takatsuki TA-274B for $965. I'll have to get some of the Brimars.

I've already rolled in some different power tube, Chatham 6AS7Gs, and Sylvania 7236s and prefer the Chathams.  I'll give the Sylvanias another go later.  I'm enjoying the setup right now as is.      

May 6, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #37,759 of 42,298
Indeed it is fun! Yes it is a big change. The WA7 is relegated to my work desk now.

It's funny how this happens. I originally thought I wanted a WA7 and somehow ended up with a WA5 when it was all said and done. Good luck on the tube hunt. It took me a couple months to get settled in. At the same time it was kind of fun trying new stuff and getting that 'wow' hit when there's an upgrade.

May 6, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #37,760 of 42,298

New gear is fun @jerick70
!  Must be a significant change from the WA7. Have fun rolling.

Indeed it is fun! Yes it is a big change. The WA7 is relegated to my work desk now.

Hey jerick70 welcome to the club you mentionned having an Elise a few post back what are your impressions of it compared to the WA22 .Thanks. 

May 6, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #37,761 of 42,298
Hey jerick70 welcome to the club you mentionned having an Elise a few post back what are your impressions of it compared to the WA22 .Thanks. 

Much appreciated @MIKELAP!

For the cost the Elise is an excellent amp. Tube rolling is a dream like it is with the WA22. The build quality is significantly better with the WA22. The WA22 drives my ZMF headphones significantly better, which is why I sold my Elise. The sound quality is outstanding with the Elise but a step up with the WA22. I've always had better sound from my audio chains with balanced setups.

On that note, I want to understand why some amps drive headphones better than others. Is it because they have more output power or is it because they have higher current output, or a combination of the two? Or am I totally off base and have no idea what I'm talking about? :wink:

May 7, 2016 at 1:54 PM Post #37,763 of 42,298

Having a play with the Mullard GZ34 metal base right now. My first time with this rectifier.
It will be interesting after having the TAK274B in my amp for so long.

May 7, 2016 at 2:08 PM Post #37,764 of 42,298
Has anyone upgraded caps and wire in their WA22? Does it make a big difference in sound?

The previous owner on my WA22 did the Jupiter Cu cap upgrade and replaced the AC connector with a gold plated model.

I think it was Seamaster that highly modified a WA22. Poured more $$'s into it than the original cost of the amp. Went to a spealist amp maker called Dan I think. There is a thread around here somewhere with all the details.
He stated the upgrades made improvements.

May 7, 2016 at 2:13 PM Post #37,765 of 42,298
I think it was Seamaster that highly modified a WA22. Poured more $$'s into it than the original cost of the amp. Went to a spealist amp maker called Dan I think. There is a thread around here somewhere with all the details.
He stated the upgrades made improvements.

I'm happy with sound quality as is.  I don't think I'll do any more internal upgrades right now just tubes.

I have to say the Sylvania 7236 makes the WA22 SING!  The Brimar Rectifier is next on my list along with some different 6F8Gs.

May 7, 2016 at 2:20 PM Post #37,766 of 42,298
I'm happy with sound quality as is.  I don't think I'll do any more internal upgrades right now just tubes.

I have to say the Sylvania 7236 makes the WA22 SING!  The Brimar Rectifier is next on my list along with some different 6F8Gs.

I have a set of Tung Sol 7236's that I got from Woo. Same as the Sylvania I think. I was never a fan of them. Too solid state sounding for my taste. However I can be very wrong sometimes. I have lent the set to another member for his opinion. It is his GZ34 rectifier I'm listening to right now. He didn't like it howewever my initial impression is that it is wonderful. Shows how different we all hear. :rolleyes:

May 7, 2016 at 2:44 PM Post #37,768 of 42,298
^

Really nice photos.

You've got to get rid of that stock rectifier. That thing destroys the sound. Did you say that you have the Brimar 5Z4GY's coming?

May 7, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #37,770 of 42,298
Yes I have a couple of Brimars coming.  Is there another rectifier that you recommend?  

Hard to recommend. Brimar is a favorite of mine however these are highly regarded as well:

Mullard GZ30, 32 and 34.

TAK274B is outstanding but pricey.

Other members should have some favourites as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back