Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 13, 2024 at 8:42 AM Post #42,241 of 42,298
One quick question for the WA5 users. It looks from the pics like the 6SN7 sockets are pretty close together on these. I have been rocking the Grant Fidelity SE 6SN7s from LinLai, which are pretty chonky. Am I correct in assuming they wouldn’t fit in the WA5? Would something a little slimmer, but still a little flared out like the Shuguang or Psvane CV-181 fit?

Feb 13, 2024 at 9:42 AM Post #42,242 of 42,298
One quick question for the WA5 users. It looks from the pics like the 6SN7 sockets are pretty close together on these. I have been rocking the Grant Fidelity SE 6SN7s from LinLai, which are pretty chonky. Am I correct in assuming they wouldn’t fit in the WA5? Would something a little slimmer, but still a little flared out like the Shuguang or Psvane CV-181 fit?
That's a very good question. I was going to buy the Sophia Blue 6SN7, which seem similar, but I measured and there is no way that they fit next to my EML 300B Mesh. Sophia claims that they fit next to their blue 300B, but "touching a bit". Not sure that's a good thing, so I never bought them. I would love to try a tube like that for a driver, so I asked if I could return them in case they don't fit. The answer was that Woo gets them for this amp and that they fit. Since I didn't get a firm answer on returning them in case they don't fit, I never bought them.

I don't know if that helps any, but I am also very curious to see if a tube in that format actually fits next to somewhat bulky 300Bs. They'll probably fit next to Elrogs...

Feb 13, 2024 at 10:03 AM Post #42,243 of 42,298
One trick that i use to either NEW NOS or USED NOS to reduce the buzz or hiss. A small piece of sandpaper 800 grit 1x1 in, folding in half, wraps around each pin and sands it up and down for about 10-15 times. After that , i use DeoxIT D5 with a cotton Q-tips to clean and lubricate the pins. This will definitely help to reduce the noise of the tubes.
PXL_20240213_144013343 (2).jpg

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #42,244 of 42,298
One trick that i use to either NEW NOS or USED NOS to reduce the buzz or hiss. A small piece of sandpaper 800 grit 1x1 in, folding in half, wraps around each pin and sands it up and down for about 10-15 times. After that , i use DeoxIT D5 with a cotton Q-tips to clean and lubricate the pins. This will definitely help to reduce the noise of the tubes.
I concur. I've recently tried DeoxIT myself (even without the sandpaper) and it worked wonders on mine. I also cleaned the headphone sockets with it. Sandpaper is a great idea. I'll do that as well.

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:39 AM Post #42,245 of 42,298
My experience with 6922-family tubes is limited to usage with the Feliks Echo amp, but I’d be shocked if the WA2 experience is any different.

Based on that-
  • Mullard 6922s gravitate towards warm, full mids. I’ve only heard one NOS set, so unfortunately I’m no help regarding more details… but I’ve always found that the “British sound” of tubes suits me best and is probably your ticket based on your description- ie Brimars and Mullards. Full mids that are warmer than neutral, solid bass without getting plummy or over-ripe, and decent treble extension without notable roll-off. The Achilles heel of British tubes is arguably sparkly and airy treble, but horses for courses, as they say.
  • I had an excellent pair of NOS Amperex 7308s that had a ton of bass slam, were super-quiet, and fairly detailed throughout the tonal range. These days I’d likely use a good Mullard instead, though, as the Amperex pair hewed more towards a solid-state sound and the Mullards don’t give up much in the slam or details, while adding warmth and midrange warmth.
There is also a decent WA2 tube rolling thread I recommend here, as well as a very good Amps & Sound Pendant tube rolling thread that is helpful for 12-7-type tubes. 😊

EDIT: Brent J is a great person to ask though, he won’t steer you wrong. If you know what sound sig you want, I’d highly recommend spending as much as you can comfortably do on one, maybe two pairs of tubes in that sound vein…

Chasing “bargain tubes” that may or may not be to your liking (or have flaws like excessive noise) is in my experience an expensive fool’s errand, unless blowing cash and experimenting is your thing (and if you can afford that, cool).
Looks like what he has left in my price range are 7308 Mullard-made and 6922 Amperex USA made. That's about it for the 6922 form factor unless you go much pricier. I still haven't heard back yet from Woo about the 12-7 tubes, but it's only been a day. I'm debating whether to get 2 pairs of the Mullards or a pair each of the Mullard and Amperex, or maybe I just go with 1 pair of the Mullard and have the stock tubes as backup and wait to see if I end up liking and wanting to keep the WA2 long-term...

Feb 13, 2024 at 11:44 AM Post #42,246 of 42,298
I've been using their Vacuum Tube Survival Kit. I had to get more of the D50 for soaking / cleaning the pins of some EBay tubes. I have been using the DeoxIT Gold GX-MD for the sockets and pins as a final step / lubricant. I have also been using an X-acto blade to clean the pins if they have lots of oxidation. I might have to try the sandpaper instead...

https://www.parts-express.com/CAIG-...Kl6to4fK1wWaog-sYVvcGqODcKaLxCJgaAinREALw_wcB

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:29 PM Post #42,247 of 42,298
Woo has changed the WA2’s circuits over time and the newer units aren’t able to use those tube types.
Just heard back from Woo. Sounds like they have changed it because they said it’s definitely not compatible now. Looks like I will be rocking out in 6922 land for the time being :)

Feb 13, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #42,248 of 42,298
Just heard back from Woo. Sounds like they have changed it because they said it’s definitely not compatible now. Looks like I will be rocking out in 6922 land for the time being :)
Looking forward to your impressions!

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #42,250 of 42,298
You will have to tell us if you get it. With the cap upgrades that is a $7,500 - $8,000 AMP new. For the posted price I would drive to Ohio to pick it up.
I don’t think it has all cap upgrades; he just says an output coupling cap is different (perhaps it blew and was replaced?). And it’s a 1st gen, so I don’t think it goes for that high. Nevertheless it’s an excellent deal; I think best I’ve seen in the past 12 months. May have to get done tubes for it, but still, fantastic deal.

Feb 13, 2024 at 2:41 PM Post #42,251 of 42,298
I don’t think it has all cap upgrades; he just says an output coupling cap is different (perhaps it blew and was replaced?). And it’s a 1st gen, so I don’t think it goes for that high. Nevertheless it’s an excellent deal; I think best I’ve seen in the past 12 months. May have to get done tubes for it, but still, fantastic deal.
Don't mean to argue with you. But the for sale amp is a Woo WA5 V2 with a custom RCA only input option. Here is a pic of a V1 (left) with a V2 (Right) next to each other. The V2 has the gain options and XLR headphone output plus the WA5 has all cap upgrades already. The V1 is only 6.3 mm out with no gain options. The reason I'm say it would be that much is the custom setup. Caps may figure into this too.

****PS It looks like I did say cap upgrade. My bad. I meant custom input option. The standard WA5 V2 already comes with all cap upgrades.

1707853034749.png

Last edited:
Feb 13, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #42,252 of 42,298
Don't mean to argue with you. But the for sale amp is a Woo WA5 V2 with a custom RCA only input option. Here is a pic of a V1 (left) with a V2 (Right) next to each other. The V2 has the gain options and XLR headphone output plus the WA5 has all cap upgrades already. The V1 is only 6.3 mm out with no gain options. The reason I'm say it would be that much is the custom setup. Caps may figure into this too.

1707853034749.png
You’re absolutely correct, sir. I was looking at a different ad on audio mart. That is indeed a very rare bargain!

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:34 PM Post #42,254 of 42,298
The psvane CV181T are an extremely tight fit, I know as I used to use them. Anything bigger will most probably not fit at all in the original sockets. You can get socket adapters made which could move the driver tubes forward a bit which would give them more space.

@Deyan could probably give you some good advice. He made the adapters for me so that I can run my 5Ц3С rectifiers as a quad.

Feb 13, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #42,255 of 42,298
The psvane CV181T are an extremely tight fit, I know as I used to use them. Anything bigger will most probably not fit at all in the original sockets. You can get socket adapters made which could move the driver tubes forward a bit which would give them more space.

@Deyan could probably give you some good advice. He made the adapters for me so that I can run my 5Ц3С rectifiers as a quad.
Thanks for the connection! I will keep this in mind if I go for the WA5 in the future!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back