Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 11, 2019 at 10:59 AM Post #40,546 of 42,298
I have had my Wa6 2nd Gen for a couple of years and I am very happy with it. I think it would be time to try some tube rolling and not having much experience with this, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions. My music preference is typically classical and various laid back/easy listening but I am looking to build a system with a bit more "umph" for the heavier music I listen to. My gear is as follows.

Wa6 2nd Gen
Sophia Princess
6GL7 with adapters
Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100
Q701
Lenovo P50

Thanks for reading.

May 11, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #40,547 of 42,298
I have had my Wa6 2nd Gen for a couple of years and I am very happy with it. I think it would be time to try some tube rolling and not having much experience with this, I was wondering if I could get some suggestions. My music preference is typically classical and various laid back/easy listening but I am looking to build a system with a bit more "umph" for the heavier music I listen to. My gear is as follows.

Wa6 2nd Gen
Sophia Princess
6GL7 with adapters
Cambridge Audio Dacmagic 100
Q701
Lenovo P50

Thanks for reading.
What's your budget? What kind of "heavy" music do you listen to? Do you want to stay with a tube amp or will a hybrid or pure solid state be fine.

May 11, 2019 at 11:04 AM Post #40,548 of 42,298
You should read Dubstepgirl's thread on rectifiers, it's the best guide to rectifiers out there.

For the driver/power tubes, if you don't want to use adapters, your options are somewhat limited. There are a lot of great 6SN7 tubes out there, and if you get adapters, 6F8G (the military designation was VT-99). That's what I have the most of. I remember getting some Melz 6H8C, and others.

Maybe look up Woo's tube compatability sheet, and go from there? If you have any specific questions, it will be easier to help with that.

May 11, 2019 at 11:52 AM Post #40,549 of 42,298
What's your budget? What kind of "heavy" music do you listen to? Do you want to stay with a tube amp or will a hybrid or pure solid state be fine.

Budget no more than $500, but would prefer less. Music is Rush, Queen, that kinda music. I have no experience with an ss amp but I do like the "warmth" of the tubes. Not a big fan of the "stark" sound of music. I have been a musician for over 30 years so I have a decent handle on how I like my music. Thanks for replying.

May 11, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #40,551 of 42,298
Budget no more than $500, but would prefer less. Music is Rush, Queen, that kinda music. I have no experience with an ss amp but I do like the "warmth" of the tubes. Not a big fan of the "stark" sound of music. I have been a musician for over 30 years so I have a decent handle on how I like my music. Thanks for replying.
Your budget takes you out of the higher end Woo offerings. Tube rolling may do what you want, but I'm leaning more toward adding a second amp to your chain. I'll list a few options that I recommend in that price range.... I won't recommend anything the I've not owned or had significant listening time with....

1) Gustard H10 with Burson v5 opamp upgrade - I owned this for quite a while. I still miss it after owning quite a few more expensive amps. Very liquid, smooth, and refined with tons of detail and nice bass. This amp will work really well for what your looking for.

2) Elekit TU-8200 - you have to solder this one yourself but it is an incredible amp. It will drive efficient speakers too.

You may want to get another pair of headphones instead and not add an amp.

1) Massdrop Senn HD6xx

2) Massdrop Fostex TR-X00 Ebony

3) iBasso SR1

May 11, 2019 at 2:03 PM Post #40,554 of 42,298
All good :) that would be a very limiting budget indeed.

I think with that budget, don't worry about the high end rectifiers. Brimar or copper cap is what I'd go with. The best rectifiers are very expensive, much more than the best power/drivers.

Power/driver tubes get plenty expensive, and there is a bigger difference, imo, in the sound quality, so stick with them.

May 11, 2019 at 3:59 PM Post #40,555 of 42,298
I think with that budget, don't worry about the high end rectifiers. Brimar or copper cap is what I'd go with. The best rectifiers are very expensive, much more than the best power/drivers.

Power/driver tubes get plenty expensive, and there is a bigger difference, imo, in the sound quality, so stick with them.

It is not really clear to me what driver tubes can be used with the Woo 6SE 2nd edition. That was why I updated the rectifier tube first. I'm pretty happy with the sound, it was a nice improvement, so I will not bother upgrading the driver tubes for awhile. (Plus, I just bought new tubes for my WA5 LE, so my tube budget is gone and then some.)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DdsZyTx3CJv9_cG9kVdCGZap-AldiTsvuY4Ms1K_p3k/pubhtml

The spreadsheet makes it seem like the 2nd edition can use all the same tubes as the old WA 6SE, but I don't think that is the case. Perhaps someone has a newer version of the spreadsheet?

Last edited:
May 11, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #40,556 of 42,298
All good :) that would be a very limiting budget indeed.

As silly as this may sound, would a higher budget yield a more superior difference in sound quality?

May 11, 2019 at 9:04 PM Post #40,558 of 42,298
I liked the Emission Labs 5U4G mesh plate rectifier. Nice sense of space and rich tone. More tubey sounding than the USTF 596 or solid state options. Also richer tonality then the Brimar imo. Run about $350 each.

May 12, 2019 at 11:10 AM Post #40,559 of 42,298
As silly as this may sound, would a higher budget yield a more superior difference in sound quality?
Yes!

Among the best of the 6F8G, there is not a huge difference, but for me, the Tung Sol round plate, and the National Union VT-99 are incredible. Extremely close to each other. There is a bit of a falloff to the RCA 6F8G that I have, though it's great too.

That said, when I was getting into 6F8G, I don't think it had quite caught on yet. I was able to snap up probably 10 pairs of TS and NU at maybe $40/pair, or less. Now, they are $200/pair, or more. If I was getting into it now, I'd say the RCA tubes are enough for me.

By the way, I also didn't really read carefully, you are on a WA6SE, and I'm not sure that my tubes work with your amp, I have a plain WA6. It's been years since I rolled tubes, but I don't think you're supposed to use the 6F8G adapter with the WA6SE, right? In which case, I can't help much. btw the 596 is supposed to be a great rectifier, as the above poster mentioned. I'm sure it's better than the Brimar, though I'd get a few Brimars anyways, can't beat their value. (should be like 25 per rectifier)

May 12, 2019 at 12:00 PM Post #40,560 of 42,298
Yes!

Among the best of the 6F8G, there is not a huge difference, but for me, the Tung Sol round plate, and the National Union VT-99 are incredible. Extremely close to each other. There is a bit of a falloff to the RCA 6F8G that I have, though it's great too.

That said, when I was getting into 6F8G, I don't think it had quite caught on yet. I was able to snap up probably 10 pairs of TS and NU at maybe $40/pair, or less. Now, they are $200/pair, or more. If I was getting into it now, I'd say the RCA tubes are enough for me.

By the way, I also didn't really read carefully, you are on a WA6SE, and I'm not sure that my tubes work with your amp, I have a plain WA6. It's been years since I rolled tubes, but I don't think you're supposed to use the 6F8G adapter with the WA6SE, right? In which case, I can't help much. btw the 596 is supposed to be a great rectifier, as the above poster mentioned. I'm sure it's better than the Brimar, though I'd get a few Brimars anyways, can't beat their value. (should be like 25 per rectifier)

I don't have a SE, its the second generation WA6.
Thanks for the comment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back