Woo Audio WA-8
Mar 21, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #722 of 838
That looks like it became available with the new website. I had looked for them when it was the old site and they weren't on there. Tung Sol is "sold out."

Mar 23, 2018 at 12:53 AM Post #723 of 838
my wa8 usb secrtion doesn’t work anymore - no pc no mac can see the device. is it fixable or I need to sent it to US for repair?

Mar 23, 2018 at 7:46 AM Post #724 of 838
my wa8 usb secrtion doesn’t work anymore - no pc no mac can see the device. is it fixable or I need to sent it to US for repair?

I would email Woo Audio directly they are very good about responding.

Mar 23, 2018 at 1:30 PM Post #725 of 838

There are many possibilities. We need to figure out if the culprit is WA8 or the cable or the music player app or the tubes. First, let's test the WA8.

- Try the 3.5mm output from computer to 3.5mm input on WA8? A basic cable like this should work (http://amzn.to/2pCjUEj).

- Try WA8 Eclipse with an iPhone or iPad? here's a short video on how to use iOS device with WA8.

Please send us an email at info@wooaudio.com for faster service. Share with us as much information on your setup as possible. Pictures or video helps a lot.

Jun 4, 2018 at 4:19 PM Post #727 of 838
I did a comparison with the ifi idsd micro black and Wa8, the woo kicked it's butt as expected - much more natural, smooth sound..
Has anyone used the Wa8 as preamp with speaker setup? I think its a shame it doesn't have line out - has anyone used the headphone out instead of line out to a power amp/active speaker setup and does it work well?

Last edited:
Jun 4, 2018 at 5:37 PM Post #728 of 838
I did a comparison with the ifi idsd micro black and Wa8, the woo kicked it's butt as expected - much more natural, smooth sound..
Has anyone used the Wa8 as preamp with speaker setup? I think its a shame it doesn't have line out - has anyone used the headphone out instead of line out to a power amp/active speaker setup and does it work well?

ToneAudio used WA8 Eclipse to feed PassLabs monoblock in their review.

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/woo-audios-wa8-headphone-ampdac/

Jun 13, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #729 of 838
Is there any of you who have ordered upgrade tube (GE 6021 / Sylvania 6021 / TungSol 6021) from Woo Audio?
Is there an increase in sound quality compared to stock tube?

I upgraded the rectifier. To be honest by the time the tube opened up ( burned in ), about 30 hours, I couldn't tell you the difference. But it's only $10 more so, so what. Unless you've put alot of hours on the tubes and they are ready for replacement, I wouldn't bother. I've upgrade tubes in a number of devices, this is probably the only time I couldn't really tell the difference. Actually the upgraded fresh tube sounded so bad for the first 10 or so hours I almost returned it, then it found it's happy place. Call it 6 of 1 half a dozen of the other.

Jun 19, 2018 at 7:51 PM Post #730 of 838
Has anyone other than @EDWARIS had their DAC fail on them? My WA8 is now doing the same thing and I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced the same. Nothing I plug it into recognizes it anymore. I was just listening to it last night and this morning it just refuses to work. The amp section still works, so I'm just using it with my Hugo 2 for now.

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #731 of 838
@ra990 DAC failure is unusual... Have you tried a different computer? We recommend direct connection to the computer, no USB hub, no USB filters.

If the problem persists, we can inspect your WA8. Send it to us with your USB cable for testing. No need to request for RMA number. We don't have any WA8 Eclipse in for service. Just include your name and contact info in the box.

ship to:
Woo Audio
c/o Jack Wu
22-19 41st Ave Ste 502
Long Island City NY 11101
1 (917) 773-8645

Jun 19, 2018 at 8:12 PM Post #732 of 838
For over a year I have had intermittent bouts of the DAC not working (yes, the amp continues to work OK). Repeated on/off cycling of the WA8 seems to clear it only for it to return to intermittent use at another time. I've returned it to Woo who found nothing wrong. Currently it is in "remission" and has not failed for several weeks. I've tried different PC's/laptops/iPhones/iPads/cables with the same intermittent condition occurring. It is a mystery given the very intermittent nature of the failure.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2018 at 10:55 PM Post #733 of 838
@ra990 DAC failure is unusual... Have you tried a different computer? We recommend direct connection to the computer, no USB hub, no USB filters.
Hi Mike, yes I have tried everything, different hosts, cables, etc. It was working fine until this morning. I'm already in touch with you over email about it and you've been very helpful. I will probably send it in soon. I just wanted to check on this thread in case there were some others that had a similar issue since you were commenting on how rare it was.

For over a year I have had intermittent bouts of the DAC not working (yes, the amp continues to work OK). Repeated on/off cycling of the WA8 seems to clear it only for it to return to intermittent use at another time. I've returned it to Woo who found nothing wrong. Currently it is in "remission" and has not failed for several weeks. I've tried different PC's/laptops/iPhones/iPads/cables with the same intermittent condition occurring. It is a mystery given the very intermittent nature of the failure.
Thanks for responding. Of course the problem doesn't happen when you send it in! That would really bug me. I actually really like the DAC on it and prefer using it when possible.

Jun 20, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #734 of 838
Jun 20, 2018 at 6:42 PM Post #735 of 838
PSA: for basic USB-C and Thunderbolt3 cables, buy ones made by Belkin. Their cables are made to spec. To avoid counterfeits, buy from Belkin online store.

http://www.belkin.com/us/Products/usb-c/c/usb-c-cables/

Cables that are not made to spec can damage the connected devices. Google engineer Benson Leung covered this issue last year.

https://medium.com/tiny-cables/usb-...-do-quality-control-short-cables-5ec98ad6df1f

I think I need an on the go cable to work with my phone, Samsung Galaxy, right?

Also, I'm traveling on business and I get a buzz when I touch metal of my headphones on A/C power, but nothing oi just using battery. Is that a ground fault, just curious since it's hotel power?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back