Woo Audio WA-8
Jun 22, 2018 at 3:53 PM Post #736 of 838
I have some questions about the battery on brand new WA8, hopefully Mike from Woo can chip in

1. I seem to be getting about 2 and half hours battery life - is this because I'm listening louder with HD650 which are more difficult to drive, or is it because it's a new unit and the battery needs to settle?

2. The 5 light battery meter seems a little out of sync - the first 3 lights charge up quickly (within say 30-40 min), the rest more slowly. Also discharge seems faster from 2 to 1 lights compared to say 4 to 3.. is this normal?

3. I read that this kind of battery can lose 20% capacity in one year - things that impact this are heat (which there is a lot of), regular charge/discharge. Is it recommended to disconnect the charger when charge is full, and to not charge whilst in use to optimise for longevity? As I use it mostly as desktop app, I have it always plugged in to charger but if that'll kill the battery faster I won't do it. Any tips?

4. I plan on keeping this unit for long time, can Woo provide information on how to replace battery or even sell a battery pack? I live in UK, so it would be a pain sending the unit in for battery replacement in future.

Your input will be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #737 of 838
I guess I should have been reading this thread. My DAC is beginning to show errors in decoding. If I skip to the next track and then back to the first track it decodes correctly. It does this almost every time now. I could be my phone and USB Audio Player but this is what I've always used.

As far as battery life goes, Mike can give better explanation, but its battery is not really for off AC use but a way to provide clean power off mains.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:04 AM Post #738 of 838
I guess I should have been reading this thread. My DAC is beginning to show errors in decoding. If I skip to the next track and then back to the first track it decodes correctly. It does this almost every time now. I could be my phone and USB Audio Player but this is what I've always used.

As far as battery life goes, Mike can give better explanation, but its battery is not really for off AC use but a way to provide clean power off mains.

That's a bit worrying about the dac showing errors - have you tried to see if you're having same behaviour on your pc and with different cable? How long have you had the WA8 for?

I have concerns with the amount of heat generated, it gets so hot that I can't touch the thing for more than few seconds - this amount of heat is worrying for the dac circuitry, not to mention battery.. perhaps maybe this is why there are some problems reported with the dac?

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:27 AM Post #739 of 838
I've had mine for almost two years it gets hot, isn't an issue. I just let mine cool before putting in Pelican case. I have to hook up to my Synology NAS and see if it does the same thing. I'll report back once I do. What I will say is the last time it did it it was after I used the line in and eventually didn't do it anymore. This time watching "The Revenant" on plane. So I never knew what it was DAC or USB Player.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #740 of 838
That's a bit worrying about the dac showing errors - have you tried to see if you're having same behaviour on your pc and with different cable? How long have you had the WA8 for?

I have concerns with the amount of heat generated, it gets so hot that I can't touch the thing for more than few seconds - this amount of heat is worrying for the dac circuitry, not to mention battery.. perhaps maybe this is why there are some problems reported with the dac?

All internal parts are carefully mounted on the chassis for optimal heat dissipation and thus the chassis can get warm. We recommend using it in a well-ventilated area.

Jun 28, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #741 of 838
I've been using the WA8 for few days now, few hours per day. I've noticed the middle tube started getting discoloured-brownish, with some brown dirt spots starting to show inside - is this normal behaviour? I checked for smell on the top, there's a tiny amount when the tubes are heated up.. Is this something to be concerned about? I haven't noticed any changes in the sound

As for the sound - it's a fantastic combination with HD650: you get a full bodied, vivid but warm sound, a romantic/fantasy take with incredibly smooth, neutral tone. The 650s love it, I've never heard them sound this good - I would urge everyone to try this combination before thinking of splashing on the HD800s or Focals, or other expensive headphones

tube-discoloration.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 4:03 PM Post #742 of 838
I've been using the WA8 for few days now, few hours per day. I've noticed the middle tube started getting discoloured-brownish, with some brown dirt spots starting to show inside - is this normal behaviour? I checked for smell on the top, there's a tiny amount when the tubes are heated up.. Is this something to be concerned about? I haven't noticed any changes in the sound

As for the sound - it's a fantastic combination with HD650: you get a full bodied, vivid but warm sound, a romantic/fantasy take with incredibly smooth, neutral tone. The 650s love it, I've never heard them sound this good - I would urge everyone to try this combination before thinking of splashing on the HD800s or Focals, or other expensive headphones

No need to be alarmed. Looks like the brown spots is from markings on the tube. These are vintage tubes from the 1930s–1950s so it's not going to look "perfect". The sound will improve and the glass will age with every use.

Don’t hesitate to reach out to us by email info@wooaudio.com if you have additional questions. We’re here to help. :)

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #743 of 838
No need to be alarmed. Looks like the brown spots is from markings on the tube. These are vintage tubes from the 1930s–1950s so it's not going to look "perfect". The sound will improve and the glass will age with every use.

Don’t hesitate to reach out to us by email info@wooaudio.com if you have additional questions. We’re here to help. :)

Thanks for the quick response. I'd say I'm just being bit cautious as I don't have experience with tubes, and as I'm enjoying the sound so much I'm treating the WA8 like a baby.. I just find it strange that only the middle tube started getting discoloured, the brown spots are internal and they weren't there originally - it's almost as if impurities started coming out inside the tube with use and it started turning yellowish brown. But the sound is fine so that's the main thing I guess.

Actually I sent an email at info@wooaudio.com asking about the replacement tubes (and their differences) as I wanted to order some for backup/change few days ago, but I didn't get a reply.. I will send through another email now.

Jul 5, 2018 at 5:14 AM Post #744 of 838
I was also wondering if anyone had any info regarding the upgrade tubes on the Woo Audio site. Are they actually upgrades or just regular replacement tubes?
And what would the benefits be from the different tubes available? Asking as a total noob on tubes so please bear with me :)

Aug 1, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #745 of 838
Hello,

Is anyone else using USB Audio Player Pro? Every time I start a listening session the first track isn't decoded properly. I can skip to the next track and then back and it plays fine afterwards.

Anyone?

Sep 10, 2018 at 12:35 AM Post #746 of 838
I was also wondering if anyone had any info regarding the upgrade tubes on the Woo Audio site. Are they actually upgrades or just regular replacement tubes?
And what would the benefits be from the different tubes available? Asking as a total noob on tubes so please bear with me :)

I purchased the WA8 in April of 2018. I consider it a must have from my perspective (awakens all HPs with lush SQ). It is an amazing tube amp.

Shortly after purchase I contacted Woo Audio regarding the same topic (tube upgrade). Their response: We include great sounding tubes with every amplifier and we recommend customers to enjoy them while they "get to know" the system. Upgrade tubes for WA8 Eclipse are easy to install at any time, no rush.

Don’t hesitate to reach out again if you have additional questions. We’re here to help. :)

~ Mike Liang

I recently purchased the 6021 Sylvania tube. It sounds true to the description on the Woo Audio website:
  • Sylvania 6021: great clarity, organic vocals, improved soundstage depth.
It has a wider soundstage to my ears, and seemingly delivers sharper details overall (slightly brighter with mids slightly more forward). Remember...descriptions are subjective to what you’ll actually hear in your headset not what’s being described by anyone. I imagine the overall sound will become more organic over time as I found that to be the case with the stock tubes. I believe in burn in time with tubes.

Just sharing my experience...the stock tubes are exceptional so it’s just nice to have the option to upgrade for a bump in sound quality refinement.

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:46 PM Post #748 of 838
I am interested to know the differences between WA7 and WA8 too. What kind of WA7 do you have? With Tube Power?

Sep 10, 2018 at 10:50 PM Post #749 of 838
I just received the WA8 that I bought used and am comparing it to the WA7.
They sound very similar to me. The WA8 has the music more between the ears though and the WA7 more forward.

Anyone else heard any other differences?

I don't have a WA7, but if it sounds as good as the WA8 that would be pretty exceptional at the WA 7's price. Might I ask what headphones you're using?

Sep 11, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #750 of 838
I'd love any feedback anyone has on the WA8 versus, say, the WA2, i.e., the WA8 versus any of Woo's larger desktop amps.

The WA8 is obviously more transportable, but is anything lost / much different in sound between it and a desktop - any feedback?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back