Woo Audio WA22 Amp Owner Unite
Mar 25, 2024 at 2:50 AM Post #2,626 of 2,692
I just landed a WA22 Gen 1 and have been messing around with it for about a week. It is quite a step up from my Gen 1 WA2 (which is also stellar). Ordered a fresh pair of HD650 directly from Sennheiser and it's just unbelievable. Had the original HD800 but hated it and sold it long ago, love the 600 and 650 way better.

I am using the XLR 4 pin out but never tried separate 3 pin XLR's so ordered a cable to try it out. Been through quite a few tubes and most all of them sound good. I've been stuck on the Sovtek NOS rectifier (5R4GY with USA mark) with spring filaments (can't find any info on them or find extra sets anywhere). Really awesome tube. Raytheon 6SN7WGT drivers, and Sylvania GB 6080 power. Really incredible combo, great clarity, tight and punchy bass, holographic. All of the right cliches apply here.

sov1.jpg

sov2.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 2:47 PM Post #2,627 of 2,692
I actually just picked up a used Gen 1 myself last week. Sounds pretty good with the existing tubes but I was just curious and I'll display my ignorance. It's possible to increase power output by upgrading the two power tubes? For example I read somewhere that using 7236 power tubes would increase output by as much as 1/2 watt over stock tubes? I'm listening tfor the most part through Audeze LCD-4z's so relatively low impedance. Set on the "lo" setting I'm at around the 1PM position on the gain knob for my normal listening level so not pushing it that hard I think. Thanks.

Mar 25, 2024 at 3:16 PM Post #2,628 of 2,692
I actually just picked up a used Gen 1 myself last week. Sounds pretty good with the existing tubes but I was just curious and I'll display my ignorance. It's possible to increase power output by upgrading the two power tubes? For example I read somewhere that using 7236 power tubes would increase output by as much as 1/2 watt over stock tubes? I'm listening tfor the most part through Audeze LCD-4z's so relatively low impedance. Set on the "lo" setting I'm at around the 1PM position on the gain knob for my normal listening level so not pushing it that hard I think. Thanks.
A strong pair of 5998 tubes like the Tung Sols are most likely to drive even more current than you what you are using now. But don’t dismiss a hotter pair of driver tubes as well. That is where the voltage gain happens.

Last edited:
Mar 25, 2024 at 10:04 PM Post #2,631 of 2,692
Be prepared $$$$ ....

Mar 30, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #2,636 of 2,692
In case anyone is wondering, the WA22 drives the Mod House Tungsten just fine. I had a get-together with a fellow Head-Fi member at my house and got to hear the Tungsten through my set up. It sounded a bit more punchy and bigger in the low frequencies on the solid state Wells Audio Milo, which has some super big wattage. Overall, the WA22 did absolutely fine with the Tungsten, as we both agreed.

Mar 31, 2024 at 8:57 PM Post #2,637 of 2,692
In case anyone is wondering, the WA22 drives the Mod House Tungsten just fine. I had a get-together with a fellow Head-Fi member at my house and got to hear the Tungsten through my set up. It sounded a bit more punchy and bigger in the low frequencies on the solid state Wells Audio Milo, which has some super big wattage. Overall, the WA22 did absolutely fine with the Tungsten, as we both agreed.

Single or double sided? Were you using higher output tubes like the 5998?

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #2,639 of 2,692
About to roll a recently acquired matched pair of GEC 6080 power tubes from the Hammersmith era.

I feel like Ted Knight in Caddyshack, lewdly fondling his prized putter--the Billy Baroo.

Oh Billy....Billy...Billy..... :wink:

1712193399250.png

Apr 3, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #2,640 of 2,692

About to roll a recently acquired matched pair of GEC 6080 power tubes from the Hammersmith era.

I feel like Ted Knight in Caddyshack, lewdly fondling his prized putter--the Billy Baroo.

Oh Billy....Billy...Billy..... :wink:

Awesome!! These are my favorite 6080 tubes and I have them in my WA22 right now.

neIrBKf.jpg

u2kpQUc.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back