Woo Audio WA6 + WA6SE: Tubes, Comments, Pictures, and Advice
Dec 13, 2018 at 3:19 PM Post #3,092 of 4,849
It certainly is possible. Why didn’t you shipped your rectifier along with the amp?

Because of this

Hi Roman,

We recently discovered a compatibility issue with 13EM7 tubes on WA6-SE. The good news is we have a fix and we can update your amplifier at no charge. Please send the amplifier + 13EM7 tubes to us at your earliest convenience and we'll give your unit priority for a fast turn around.

Dec 13, 2018 at 5:04 PM Post #3,093 of 4,849
Because of this

Hi Roman,

We recently discovered a compatibility issue with 13EM7 tubes on WA6-SE. The good news is we have a fix and we can update your amplifier at no charge. Please send the amplifier + 13EM7 tubes to us at your earliest convenience and we'll give your unit priority for a fast turn around.

Well, the price of the rectifier doesn't seem to be high and you would be guaranteed that it works. Is your rectifier the original one or you changed it?

Dec 13, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #3,094 of 4,849
Well, the price of the rectifier doesn't seem to be high and you would be guaranteed that it works. Is your rectifier the original one or you changed it?

My rectifier is original, and came up with amp about 2 month ago. I updated driver tubes 3 weeks ago and was planing to buy Mullard 53KU rectifier.
I hope, and I keeping my fingers crossed, this noise problem not with amp. Another way, I will need to send it back again.

Dec 14, 2018 at 2:40 AM Post #3,095 of 4,849
Reading this I have the feeling that Woo Audio support tried not to exchange/repair your amp, as they do with mine with its transformer hum that I can hear 3m away from the amp.

They keep telling me it's normal for a transformer to hum, which I agree to a certain point. When it's audible 3m away and people here told me their amp is dead silent, I presume mine has a problem but they keep telling me that it's barely audible in my short video (of course, recorded with a cellphone) and as they had to put in-ears to listen to the noise on the video, it shouldn't be so audible .

I ordered a Brimar to make sure it's not the stock rectifier but for the moment I'm quite unhappy with the amp and the company. Was expecting a way better support.

Let's see when the Brimar will be there.

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:19 PM Post #3,096 of 4,849
Brimar arrived this evening and.... Hum is gone, finally! So yes, there was a problem before that, and yes a 3m audible hum is not normal. Glad it's just the rectifier and not the transfo :). Time to listen to music now!

14Anonyme-20181214-191745.jpg

14Anonyme-20181214-191759.jpg

Dec 14, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #3,097 of 4,849
Great news :)
From my limited experience - the Woo guys are solid!

Dec 14, 2018 at 5:09 PM Post #3,098 of 4,849
Brimar arrived this evening and.... Hum is gone, finally! So yes, there was a problem before that, and yes a 3m audible hum is not normal. Glad it's just the rectifier and not the transfo :). Time to listen to music now!

14Anonyme-20181214-191745.jpg

14Anonyme-20181214-191759.jpg

So, finally your amp start to play properly. This is good news.

What about sound? Is big difference there comparable with stock rectifier?

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2018 at 10:29 PM Post #3,099 of 4,849
I got my amp back from service.
I found pair of brand new 13EM7 tubes in a package. Customer service sent me back Raytheon tubes instead my General Electric ones, and sent me new rectifier. In package list its says Psvane 5ug4, but stock Soviet Svetlana 5Ц3С inside. Anyway, amp works fine, without noise in one channel. And now old rectifier works without noise too. Magic? No. Defective one tube from two, exactly how I describe earlier. New pair of tubes fixed problem. 130 dollars and time spent for nothing. But, amp works properly now, and I`m happy.

Dec 22, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #3,100 of 4,849

What is the difference between regular WA6 and the SE version?
=================================================
You can see a comparison of Woo amps here. The main difference is that the WA6-SE is bigger and has more power, plus the benefits of having the power supply completely decoupled.
=================================================
Thanks for providing the link to the Woo amp comparison chart.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2018 at 2:40 PM Post #3,101 of 4,849
My WA6+ runs cooler with the 274B (Sophia, for example) rectifiers. Significantly cooler transformer cover, chassis, etc. Any thoughts?

Jan 18, 2019 at 5:09 PM Post #3,102 of 4,849
Wondering if anyone has any experience or opinions on a WA6 vs the Schiit Valhalla 2? I'm looking to move up (over? I don't know) from the Valhalla, and would primarily be pairing with HD600 and HD800S's.
Woo WA6 (as well as the WA6SE) only sounds good with a limited number of headphones, I did not like those entry level Woo amps with Sennheisers at all. To do justice to the HD600 and HD800S I'd stay away from the less expensive Woo tube amps and avoid the Valhalla 2 as well. Once you hear the Sennheisers on a really good all tube amp you very likely won't be able to go back to anything less expensive. If you are on a tight budget, go for the revised L30 (not the A30 Pro) by Topping to use with your Sennheisers until you can afford a top tier all tube amp.

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2019 at 6:23 PM Post #3,103 of 4,849
Thanks for all the input guys, really, really appreciate it. My usage between the two is probably about even, but I suspect that will change with a new amp so I'd rather cater more towards the 800S for sure. The more I look into it, the more it sounds like the WA6 isn't going to suit what I want. My WA2 lead has also led to a crazy deal on a WA22 so now I'll be up all night...
Monolith Liquid Platinum is a great choice.

Jan 24, 2019 at 5:39 PM Post #3,104 of 4,849
Hello WA6 owners, where do you guys source 6FD7s, 6EW7s and other driver/power tubes for 1st gen WA6-SE at reasonable prices? The ones at the Woo site seems pretty expensive at $140...

I noticed that those tubes have different sections inside, are they used as driver and power for one channel?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back