Woo Audio WA8 Review - Head-Fi TV
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #887 of 903
Wow. I wish he would chime in on this.

I agree. I'm curious as to what ESS they now use.

That being said, I can't imagine a significant sonic difference as any increase in SNR/SINAD will be offset by the tube distortion. I see they list the DAC as ESS and not the specific model.

Apr 1, 2024 at 8:46 PM Post #888 of 903
The WA8 Eclipse just landed at headquarters today. After only an hour of warming up the tubes I fired her up for the first time, wow! I think what impresses me most is the DAC implementation. I wasn’t expecting the unit to sound so phenomenal with its internal DAC. I’ve run a few external DAC’s including Chord and Holo Audio and it wasn’t until I added the Spring 3 KTE that I heard what I would consider a sonic improvement. Honestly, it’s splitting hairs between the internal ESS and the Spring 3. I’m not surprised the Spring 3 improved the sound slightly. I’m surprised the internal DAC came so close especially considering my obsession with NOS DAC sonics. Looking forward to hearing improvements after a full burn-in.

IMG_2059.jpeg

Apr 2, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #890 of 903
What improvements did you hear with the “better” dac? In my experience, bifrost 2 gave more soundstage and impact, but overall, just different- both great.
Timbre is more lifelike, less bass bloom, slightly better instrument separation. Mind you, I'm still not even close to the 100hr burnin yet. Things may slightly change as the tubes go through that process. If you didn't A/B both back-to-back the onboard DAC would still sound incredible.

Apr 2, 2024 at 6:49 AM Post #891 of 903
Timbre is more lifelike, less bass bloom, slightly better instrument separation. Mind you, I'm still not even close to the 100hr burnin yet. Things may slightly change as the tubes go through that process. If you didn't A/B both back-to-back the onboard DAC would still sound incredible.
It may depend on the headphone synergy also. I have a different experience, I also have 3 different DACs and I find I prefer the sound when I use my MHDT Orchid, followed by iFi iDSD Finale. It's not like the sound using the internal ESS is not great, it is just not quite the type of sound I prefer. So I ended up always using my WA8 as a amp fed by the iDSD Burrbrown DAC. The amp section of the WA8 is just incredible for a small form factor and I don't know why it is not more popular.

Apr 2, 2024 at 8:20 AM Post #892 of 903
It may depend on the headphone synergy also. I have a different experience, I also have 3 different DACs and I find I prefer the sound when I use my MHDT Orchid, followed by iFi iDSD Finale. It's not like the sound using the internal ESS is not great, it is just not quite the type of sound I prefer. So I ended up always using my WA8 as a amp fed by the iDSD Burrbrown DAC. The amp section of the WA8 is just incredible for a small form factor and I don't know why it is not more popular.
I can see your point here.

The DAC chip in the WA8 is pretty spectacular with the right headphone. So far the Grado GS1000x and Focal Utopia are the top HP in my collection with the WA8.

I don't think it's more popular given it's price point and functionality. $1800 is pretty steep for what is essentially a portable product using a proprietary tube system.

Apr 2, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #894 of 903
I can see your point here.

The DAC chip in the WA8 is pretty spectacular with the right headphone. So far the Grado GS1000x and Focal Utopia are the top HP in my collection with the WA8.

I don't think it's more popular given it's price point and functionality. $1800 is pretty steep for what is essentially a portable product using a proprietary tube system.
Agreed but C9 and PB5 are also pretty expensive with korg « fake » tubes and no dac! Anyway, the most important thing is WA8 sound great.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #895 of 903
where do you guys stand on the 2 vs 3 tubes mode there?

I prefer 2 with: ZMF Atrium, Atticus, HD650

3 tubes with: Sony Z7, Focal Elear

2 feels underpowered a bit but more clear and dynamic, with still lots of magic. My preferred option there
I have Meze Empyrean and Beyer Xelento, always use 3 tubes but I’m a lush tube sound fanatic. 😁

Apr 4, 2024 at 10:52 PM Post #896 of 903
64 Audio U12t (Mx Apex Module) + WA8 Eclipse is sonic bliss, outstanding synergy!

IMG_0544.jpg

Apr 27, 2024 at 7:43 AM Post #898 of 903
Apr 28, 2024 at 3:13 AM Post #900 of 903
If you connect the power source, it goes into 3 vacuum tube mode, but if you disconnect the power source, it doesn't work.

Funny truble..

That's odd.

Bad battery? Did you try to switch from 3 tube to 2 tube mode and back to see if the switch somehow isn't fully engaged?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back