WOO-HOOOO... WA7 "fireflies"!!!
May 20, 2014 at 6:42 PM Post #1,322 of 2,600
  Your current setup is about where I'd like to end up truthfully (with the exception of the uber-dac). For me, a better DAC and probably a future headphone upgrade are still on the table. I'm finding the WA7+WA7tp to be quite satisfying at the moment. I'll probably wait a year or two on the headphones, as the current version of the LCD-2 with the fazor is actually very, very good...not to mention that I'm always interested in checking out whatever new and improved products are on the horizon. A proper Stax setup is beyond my reach, though I'd like to listen to one at some point just to get a taste of what the SR-009 sounds like.

All this said, there's a lot to be said for a setup that makes you "perfectly happy". Recognizing this is probably as important as anything, truth be told.   

Haha. Right. It's all those other engineers who are hacks/idiots. I'm not sure why they can't get things right. 
wink.gif

true... worked all day on a handful of bugs programmed in by some of those other guys we never get to meet but who had their dirty hands all over what we are focused on...

May 23, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #1,323 of 2,600
Hi,

I just bought the AK240 and trying to set it up as the DAC connected to the WA7 acting as the amp and using LCD-X phones connected to the front panel jack on the WA7.

Using Jriver Media Center on Mac I can't get the system to output any sound though :frowning2: is there some setting I am missing?

Any help would be appreciated thanks!

May 23, 2014 at 7:53 PM Post #1,324 of 2,600
  Hi,

I just bought the AK240 and trying to set it up as the DAC connected to the WA7 acting as the amp and using LCD-X phones connected to the front panel jack on the WA7.

Using Jriver Media Center on Mac I can't get the system to output any sound though :frowning2: is there some setting I am missing?

How are you connecting the AK240 to the wa7?     Make sure you change the switch on the back of your wa7 depending on the input.

May 24, 2014 at 3:07 AM Post #1,325 of 2,600
  How are you connecting the AK240 to the wa7?     Make sure you change the switch on the back of your wa7 depending on the input.

Yeah, it's kinda hard to tell from the way you've described it but it sounds like you're trying to use the small jack on the front panel as an input for the AK240. The front panel jacks are just for output - you need to connect the AK240 via the RCA connectors on the back and set the switch to RCA.

May 24, 2014 at 4:04 PM Post #1,326 of 2,600
  Hi,

Are you connecting the AK240 with analog cables to WA7's RCA input on the back? Do you have USB from Mac to AK240?

You may have to set the AK240’s volume to MAX as AK240 does not feature a Line Out via its headphones jack.

Note: this may not sound better than the WA7’s internal DAC, but let us know what you think.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:30 PM Post #1,327 of 2,600
Just wondering - has anyone plugged a WA7 or WA7 + tp pair into a kill-a-watt meter to see the power draw? I want to burn in my tp's new tubes, but not if it's going to cost me more than the tubes themselves.

As far as tubes go, Mike, you said in the WA7tp thread that Woo & friends were testing tubes for a possible upgrade to the psu. Have you made any progress in finding any solid matches? Gold Lions? Sylvanias?

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:08 PM Post #1,328 of 2,600
Am i the only one who had the WA7 (EH tubes) + X-Sabre DAC and the Concero? seems like it.

Let me tell you people, i would pick the X-Sabre over the Concero any time!!! the X-Sabre sound like the improved version of the WA7's DAC, more details yet WAY smoother, while maintaining the details and dynamics.

X-Sabre is the best Neutral DAC i ever had <3 

Jun 4, 2014 at 7:55 PM Post #1,330 of 2,600
Am i the only one who had the WA7 (EH tubes) + X-Sabre DAC and the Concero? seems like it.

Let me tell you people, i would pick the X-Sabre over the Concero any time!!! the X-Sabre sound like the improved version of the WA7's DAC, more details yet WAY smoother, while maintaining the details and dynamics.

X-Sabre is the best Neutral DAC i ever had <3 

I have to agree on the quality of the x-sabre sound. Never heard the Concero tho.

Jun 11, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #1,331 of 2,600
  Just wondering - has anyone plugged a WA7 or WA7 + tp pair into a kill-a-watt meter to see the power draw? I want to burn in my tp's new tubes, but not if it's going to cost me more than the tubes themselves.

As far as tubes go, Mike, you said in the WA7tp thread that Woo & friends were testing tubes for a possible upgrade to the psu. Have you made any progress in finding any solid matches? Gold Lions? Sylvanias?

No offerings yet.  It's a bit more involved than picking the best sounding tube and offer it our customers.  We will definitely announce it here and on social media when that time comes.

The option to DAC roll was why we included an Analog Input on WA7 and WA7d.  :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #1,332 of 2,600
I'm needing help with my new wa7 (soon wa79 tube ps). I bought the Audeze lcd 2 headphones. I have run both in 200 hrs +. I am using stock cables with upgraded EH tubes from Woo. I am about ready to sell these. They are glaringly bright, no sense of musicality, no soundstage regarding depth. Every instrument is simply directly over my head.

Sounds like I'm already talked myself out of them. I would appreciate any recommendations for headphones to have synergy with this amp. My budget is $1000 - $1500 Thanks :)

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #1,333 of 2,600
I'm needing help with my new wa7 (soon wa79 tube ps). I bought the Audeze lcd 2 headphones. I have run both in 200 hrs +. I am using stock cables with upgraded EH tubes from Woo. I am about ready to sell these. They are glaringly bright, no sense of musicality, no soundstage regarding depth. Every instrument is simply directly over my head.

Sounds like I'm already talked myself out of them. I would appreciate any recommendations for headphones to have synergy with this amp. My budget is $1000 - $1500 Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Lcd-x / wa7 is a incredibly good combo both to me and everyone that has heard it.     Be forewarned however that I had a lcd-2 with wa7 and thought it sounded very good.

Jun 17, 2014 at 5:27 PM Post #1,334 of 2,600

Sounds like I'm already talked myself out of them. I would appreciate any recommendations for headphones to have synergy with this amp. My budget is $1000 - $1500 Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

If you found the LCD2 bright, you may want to stay away from LCDx as it is more neutral than LCD2.  That said, I also like LCDx and WA7 pairing, but I prefer that type of sound.  

The new Oppo PM-1, MrSpeakers Alpha Dog and Sennheiser HD650 are good ones to audition.  Oppo PM-2 is coming, but I have not heard it on WA7 yet.

Jun 17, 2014 at 6:04 PM Post #1,335 of 2,600
HD650 are good ones to audition

Interesting you mentioned the 650. Although they were not as refined as the lcd2 they were much more musical. When I say bright I mean razor bright. I was too tense in my stomach. Don't get me wrong they certainly have their strengths. I enjoyed them somewhat with classical music. I also heard too much reverb. As always, it is subjective. Thank for insights including pas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back