Woo's New Flagship WA33
Mar 17, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #3,121 of 3,203
I've put hundreds and hundreds of hours on my takatsuki's 2a3s and they are sounding damn amazing now compared to when i first got them. Never had krs so can't say
Got em both. Kr are my power tubes ta my rectifier.

Stand corrected, ordered ta 023 get em by weekend I hope.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #3,122 of 3,203
I am about to get a new cable made for Utopia. Is there any advantage to using the L and R XLR connector vs 4 pin XLR?

Mar 22, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #3,123 of 3,203
Mar 22, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #3,125 of 3,203
Mar 22, 2024 at 6:51 PM Post #3,126 of 3,203
I am more interested in an advantage to using the 2x3pin XLR outputs in relation to the WA33 circuit
I’d be surprised if they weren’t just connected to the same 4 wires coming off the output transformers.
The extra ground does nothing for you, except maybe ground a shield if your cable has one.
Having said that pretty much every cable I own is dual 3 pin, I built two cables from identical materials once, once to test, and felt the dual 3 pin sounded very slightly better, either because of the connectors or the physical separation of the wires at the amp.

Mar 27, 2024 at 12:40 PM Post #3,127 of 3,203
Was looking to try something slightly different than my WA33SE w/upgraded tube all around (which I do love) so I was trying to make a deal for a pre-owned WA33EE--which there was no negotiating on. This brought me to the purchase of the Feliks Envy Performance Edition in American Walnut which I should be receiving mid April.

I've already inquired with a member here on Head-Fi who has experience with both amps--but I'm also reaching out the the WA33 owners here on the thread to see if any of you have experienced both of these amps at one time or another or side by side--and what your experiences were between the two. I know I'm asking for experiences between two totally different amplifiers--but would still like to hear from those who have done so.

Mar 28, 2024 at 4:12 AM Post #3,128 of 3,203
Was looking to try something slightly different than my WA33SE w/upgraded tube all around (which I do love) so I was trying to make a deal for a pre-owned WA33EE--which there was no negotiating on. This brought me to the purchase of the Feliks Envy Performance Edition in American Walnut which I should be receiving mid April.

I've already inquired with a member here on Head-Fi who has experience with both amps--but I'm also reaching out the the WA33 owners here on the thread to see if any of you have experienced both of these amps at one time or another or side by side--and what your experiences were between the two. I know I'm asking for experiences between two totally different amplifiers--but would still like to hear from those who have done so.
Have both. Ive spent a lot more time with the Envy than the wa33EE.

I...honestly think I prefer the Envy somewhat (there's something amazing about the texturing that 300B brings especially to bass notes). I have not upgraded tubes on either. That said, I really like the wa33 and it really brings the most of out of headphones like the 1266 & solitaire p. Tungsten/Susvara on the other hand I think are significantly better off the Envy.

Have also tried both with the wa33 preamping the envy. (Holo May -> WA33 -> Envy)

Using both in conjunction with one another was not a huge improvement, but it did feel like you got micro dynamics/detail of the wa33 and the macro dynamics/texture of the envy. It definitely sounded good, but is a far cry from a good value for a fleshed out system.

Honestly, I'd have to give it another shot with more headphones to give you a better impression.

Feel free though to ask if you have more questions.

At this point, I like having both systems to have different gear to mix and match with.

20240217_024805~2.jpg

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:24 AM Post #3,129 of 3,203
Have both. Ive spent a lot more time with the Envy than the wa33EE.

I...honestly think I prefer the Envy somewhat (there's something amazing about the texturing that 300B brings especially to bass notes). I have not upgraded tubes on either. That said, I really like the wa33 and it really brings the most of out of headphones like the 1266 & solitaire p. Tungsten/Susvara on the other hand I think are significantly better off the Envy.

Have also tried both with the wa33 preamping the envy. (Holo May -> WA33 -> Envy)

Using both in conjunction with one another was not a huge improvement, but it did feel like you got micro dynamics/detail of the wa33 and the macro dynamics/texture of the envy. It definitely sounded good, but is a far cry from a good value for a fleshed out system.

Honestly, I'd have to give it another shot with more headphones to give you a better impression.

Feel free though to ask if you have more questions.

At this point, I like having both systems to have different gear to mix and match with.

20240217_024805~2.jpg
Thank you very much for your comments on both amplifiers--especially on stock form, I appreciate that. I should've mentioned that I've never experienced what a 300B amp sound like at all, so this will be my first time hearing one. I also plan on doing my comparisons between the amplifiers in stock form as well. One of my may concerns is that I don't want the Envy to sound soft in the dynamics in comparison to the WA33--I'm hoping that the Envy hits hard and has good clean, solid textured bass--as well as a lush sounding midrange with smooth upper frequencies. As I mentioned above--I love my WA33 and have loved it from day one after hearing it in its stock form--but I'm just looking for something different--and this does not mean that "something different" will replace my WA33--that is, unless It very, very much suits my tastes than the WA33.

I've been reading the 'Feliks Envy' thread and I'm at ~page 200--so far everything I've read is positive--but I wouldn't expect owners who dropped $7-9K on an amplifier to say anything less, and I don't see any listed in the F/S forums here or anywhere else for that matter--which too me, means a lot. I also don't read (at all) members comparing the Envy to the WA33 which is why I reached out here. I was all wondering if any WA33 owners who have heard/own the Envy had tried the EML 300B (2.5v) in their WA33 and have found that it is similar in sound to the Envy--even though both are different topologies? Going this route would save me a huge anoint of money--but again, I've never heard a 300B amplifier so this really wouldn't do me any good. I do realize I will know all of these answer for myself soon enough-but am still curious as to what owners who have experienced both have to say.

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #3,130 of 3,203
According to woo 300b is not recommended but 023, i have takatsuki 023 upgrade tubes coming also tried Kr audio 023. Just one thing in comparing the two brands. Envy has a pro model and woo33 has the elite edition as i have, plus one can get special wiring, so just to compare titans....

Mar 28, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #3,131 of 3,203
According to woo 300b is not recommended but 023, i have takatsuki 023 upgrade tubes coming also tried Kr audio 023. Just one thing in comparing the two brands. Envy has a pro model and woo33 has the elite edition as i have, plus one can get special wiring, so just to compare titans....
I'm aware that the 300B (2.5v) isn't recommended by Woo--but there are more than a few that have used them without issue--or at least never mentioned any issues. What are the "023"? I've never heard of these--are these a compatible tube to a 2A3 or 300B? I do have the KR Audio HP 2A3 and KR RK Anniversary Edition 5U4G. As mentioned--my WA33 is the Standard Edition--but I did order the Envy Performance Edition.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:08 AM Post #3,133 of 3,203
Oops kr 2a3 and ta 2a3. Typo…

And performance edition versus performance edition? But good job, either one would be the winner of the chicken dinner, but for overall objectivity…. Please continue and share observations.

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:22 AM Post #3,134 of 3,203
Thank you very much for your comments on both amplifiers--especially on stock form, I appreciate that. I should've mentioned that I've never experienced what a 300B amp sound like at all, so this will be my first time hearing one. I also plan on doing my comparisons between the amplifiers in stock form as well. One of my may concerns is that I don't want the Envy to sound soft in the dynamics in comparison to the WA33--I'm hoping that the Envy hits hard and has good clean, solid textured bass--as well as a lush sounding midrange with smooth upper frequencies. As I mentioned above--I love my WA33 and have loved it from day one after hearing it in its stock form--but I'm just looking for something different--and this does not mean that "something different" will replace my WA33--that is, unless It very, very much suits my tastes than the WA33.

I've been reading the 'Feliks Envy' thread and I'm at ~page 200--so far everything I've read is positive--but I wouldn't expect owners who dropped $7-9K on an amplifier to say anything less, and I don't see any listed in the F/S forums here or anywhere else for that matter--which too me, means a lot. I also don't read (at all) members comparing the Envy to the WA33 which is why I reached out here. I was all wondering if any WA33 owners who have heard/own the Envy had tried the EML 300B (2.5v) in their WA33 and have found that it is similar in sound to the Envy--even though both are different topologies? Going this route would save me a huge anoint of money--but again, I've never heard a 300B amplifier so this really wouldn't do me any good. I do realize I will know all of these answer for myself soon enough-but am still curious as to what owners who have experienced both have to say.
Pretty sure @Roasty has the eml 2.5v 300bs and tried on his wa33

Mar 28, 2024 at 11:33 AM Post #3,135 of 3,203
Oops kr 2a3 and ta 2a3. Typo…

And performance edition versus performance edition? But good job, either one would be the winner of the chicken dinner, but for overall objectivity…. Please continue and share observations.
Will do.
Pretty sure @Roasty has the eml 2.5v 300bs and tried on his wa33
Thanks--I do remember he did have the 2.5v because IIRC he had an issue and received 2 shorter than the others.
If he doesn't chime in I'll send him a PM with hopes that he's heard a 300B amplifier to compare the 2.5v in the WA33.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back