Would it improve my system?
Aug 27, 2001 at 6:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mariowar

500+ Head-Fier
I have a Panasonic Shockwave SL-SW870, my recent Little More Power amp, and my beloved Grados 325. I always play my Discman using batteries (2 AA) because I lost the supplied wall wart. The question is: Would I be able to feel any improvement if I buy the wall wart? Would it boost the line out, increasing a bit the output level? Would I experience hum?

Aug 27, 2001 at 9:10 PM Post #3 of 5
You might experience hum w/ the wall-wart, you might not. Depends on your local electric conditions. Only way to know is to try.

Aug 27, 2001 at 9:14 PM Post #4 of 5
There is no evident difference when I use the wall wart on my pcdp versus battery... though there might be that psychological effect into thinking you are getting better sound. I somehow feel I am though with the wall wart though I cannot pinpoint exactly what is better... a greater sense of 'authority' in the sound would be the best I could describe it with... Though it could be all in my head...

Aug 27, 2001 at 10:16 PM Post #5 of 5
LOL, amazingly enough, this topic is about as controversial as cables.

I vividly remember back when the Optimus CD 3400 was the hottest "find" in audio circles. People were modding it left and right, trying different power sources, etc. The general consensus was that it sounded significantly better when using batteries than when using a wall wart. In fact, I still have mine with the 4-C external battery pack (I bought it for portable use, but hey... if it sounded better at home, great!
wink.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back