Would like advice on what to do about my digital sources
Jun 22, 2009 at 2:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

jsaliga

Headphoneus Supremus
My current array of digitial sources is nothing special. I have been using a Slim Devices Squeezebox Duet with a KECES DA 131.1 DAC, and an Oppo DV-980H for SACD and DVD-A playback. Given the budget price of the Oppo, I found it to be a pretty good player despite its lack of frills.

However, my KECES DAC died last week. So now I am using the built-in DAC of the Squeezebox Duet. I have been contemplating several options:

1. Replace the KECES with a better DAC, perhaps a MHDT Havana. Keep the Oppo DV-980H.

2. Upgrade the Squeezebox Duet to a Transporter. This also gets you native 24/96 playback compatibility. Keep the Oppo for SACD compatibility.

3. Buy a MHDT Havana DAC for the Squeezebox Duet, and replace the Oppo DV-980H with a Denon DVD-3930CI or a 5910CI.

4. Keep the SB Duet and replace the Oppo with an Esoteric DV-50. (these are not to difficult to find).

All of these scenarios leaves a Slim Devices player in my setup, because it is the preferred method of playing my CD library. I have about 2,200 CDs ripped to a 1TB hard disk using FLAC.

All that said, I used to own a Denon DVD-3900 that I was very happy with, and part of me regrets letting it go. I always liked the Denon flagship players, and I can get a brand new 5910CI from an authorized dealer for an extremely attractive price.

Thoughts?

--Jerome

Jun 22, 2009 at 11:23 PM Post #5 of 6
Give me the broken Keces, think about rest later
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 6
LOL! I really need to think about the rest now.
smile.gif
But if you really want the broken Keces, well, I'll see what I can do.

At any rate, I have made my decison. I just sold my Squeezebox Duet and will be buying a Transporter. I intend to keep my Oppo DV-980H for now.

--Jerome

Users who are viewing this thread

Back