Would these do the HD800's justice?
Oct 3, 2010 at 6:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

haveblue

100+ Head-Fier
Schiit Valhalla and Arcam rDAC.  I figure I would want to spend the most on the headphones and the least on the amp. Would I really see that much improvement if I spent much more on the amp and dac?

Oct 3, 2010 at 6:39 AM Post #2 of 21
You have to start somewhere, and that is not a bad point of entry!

Oct 3, 2010 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 21
State a budget and perhaps other HD800 owners can recommend the best combination for it.

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 21
That's roughly the budget I want to stay at - about $2000 for everything. I currently have Westone 3's with UM56 eartips out of a Cowon S9 and the only full-sized headphones I've listened to in the past were SR225's and HFI-780's out of an iBasso D2. I expect this to blow them out of the water.

Aesthetics are important to me. I've been wanting the Valhalla ever since it was announced and not many DACs match its looks. The rDAC seems to be getting good reviews and it matches the Valhalla's silver modern minimalistic design. They match the silver HD800 as well.

Oct 3, 2010 at 5:56 PM Post #5 of 21
Take a look at the silver Cambridge Audio DacMagic. It might match, and it's also a very nice DAC.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 21
Going with DAC_1 or DacMagic can make one think about upgrading to a balanced amplifier, watch out for that wallet. You may also want to consider a nice amp with a built-in DAC for now like the new Music Fidelity M1 or a Violectric model like the V181 with the optional built-in 24/96 USB DAC. Don't go the other way around and get a DAC with a built-in headphone amp, as you will want real power for the HD800.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:25 PM Post #8 of 21
To the OP: first of all, ignore advice given by those who don't have experience with what they're recommending and those who don't even own the HD800s. Secondly, you should do some research using the search feature here (it has been greatly improved in recent months).

My advice: go with a professionally-built DIY option. Get the y2 DAC and the M^3 amplifier with the Sigma-11 PSU. This setup gives you way more bang for your buck than the commercial offerings being recommended here.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:45 PM Post #9 of 21

Quote:
To the OP: first of all, ignore advice given by those who don't have experience with what they're recommending and those who don't even own the HD800s. Secondly, you should do some research using the search feature here (it has been greatly improved in recent months).

My advice: go with a professionally-built DIY option. Get the y2 DAC and the M^3 amplifier with the Sigma-11 PSU. This setup gives you way more bang for your buck than the commercial offerings being recommended here.

I have the HD800 listed in my profile and kingtz has the Valhalla and the HD650 so I would say that as the only two others posting advice in this thread we're qualified lol. Anyways if haveblue wanted to hassle with DIY or wait to contract for one I am sure he would have mentioned it. Any other friendly suggestions?

I think that Little Dot combo looks nice but I haven't heeard it.

Oct 3, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 21

Quote:
Or perhaps I could get an Little Dot MK VII and DAC_I and a balanced cable?

Hello haveblue,

I'm sorry I can't help with your choices, since I don't own the HD800s, however that is a lovely setup there...lol

Good times....
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 21

Quote:
Hello haveblue,

I'm sorry I can't help with your choices, since I don't own the HD800s, however that is a lovely setup there...lol

Good times....
biggrin.gif
beerchug.gif

Stolen
beyersmile.png

Oh yeah, since you own the DAC_I...I would prefer to run either my powered monitors using the RCA outs or the MKVIII out of the headphone outs. Could it do it?

Maybe I'll send David a message. Do you mind PMing me his email?

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 21

Quote:
Stolen
beyersmile.png

Oh yeah, since you own the DAC_I...I would prefer to run either my powered monitors using the RCA outs or the MKVIII out of the headphone outs. Could it do it?

Maybe I'll send David a message. Do you mind PMing me his email?

LOL.....I really enjoy that setup.  It still looks like that, just not on the dining room table...lol

That's the MKVII...I know after that run they went to the MKVII+ and I believe it had a little less power FWIR.  I will tell you that it spanks my four high impedance cans (HD580 & HD650 in SE and balanced mode, Beyer DT 770 & 880 (250ohm) SE)....It ships with low gain and have never changed it.  The hi gain is for AKG K1000...

Sending PM...

beerchug.gif

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #14 of 21
On the MKVII the output depends on the input used I believe. SE in, RCA out; balanced in, XLR out.

Oct 3, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #15 of 21

Quote:
On the MKVII the output depends on the input used I believe. SE in, RCA out; balanced in, XLR out.

I would prefer to toggle the output on the DAC level instead of the headphone amp level. This way I can plug my powered monitors directly into the DAC. But the MKVII does seem to be able to toggle inputs/outputs. However, the single ended output is a 1/4TRS. There wouldn't be any problem plugging my BX5a monitors into these through a splitter, correct?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back