Would you buy the B&W p5 because they sounded good when you audition them or buy something else on faith?
Dec 31, 2011 at 2:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

pufftissue

100+ Head-Fier
I know that there are more highly rated headphones in the $300 price range here, but none of them can easily be auditioned.
I have heard the p5 and think that they are wonderful sonically and comfort wise. Plus they seem to be pretty compact for full-size headphones.
I do feel that they sound better than Klipsch, Beats, Bose (all available at retail)

Should I buy or just go on faith that other highly recommended headphones (Denon, Grado, Sennheisers) here will outperform the p5s?

Thanks!

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:42 AM Post #2 of 23
I would buy it for the good looks and good build quality and if it's $200.  The sound is just so so.

Dec 31, 2011 at 9:48 AM Post #3 of 23
Buy it, be happy with it, and never come back, your wallet will thank you. 
biggrin.gif

Headphones are, as i am sure most will agree, highly subjective, if i were you i'll just stick with the P5 since you like it rather than go for a headphone you never heard before and risk getting trash.

Dec 31, 2011 at 10:01 AM Post #4 of 23
Hi pufftissue,

I have the B&W P5 headphones and purchased them after a short audition (on what transpired to be a bright sounding source) which was a costly mistake. Listening to them at home they sounded muffled and quite sonically congested, which is a trait other members here have mentioned. The solution was to purchase a costly replacement cable from Stefan AudioArt which really removed the muffled sound and makes the cans sing. 

If you like the P5 aesthetics and want something less expensive and better sounding, check out the BlueAnt Embrace headphones. I own these cans too and IMHO they are sonically superior to the P5's with the stock cable. 

Cheers.

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #6 of 23
They definitely sound better than the phones you mentioned. And they can be driven better than some cans by portable devices. And, because they are closed backed block out some noise. So if you want street phones, they are a bit pricey for the sound but stylish and well built, can be driven ok by a portable source. That might make them a decent purchase.  But if you want something for home use, are willing to invest in a dac and amp, you can do much better for the buckaroos... or a bit more
wink.gif

Jan 2, 2012 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 23
You know, I've always been strangely attracted to the P5. I've auditioned them on several occasions and always tell myself that if I can find them for 50% off, then I'd buy them in a heartbeat. They look very classy, are well-built, and are pretty comfortable. They are not the end-all in sound quality, but they have a "safe", versatile sound signature that plays well with most genres and is very forgiving of poor recordings -- which, to me, is more important in an all-around portable headphone than being the last word in resolution. 

To the OP, if you've heard them and liked them, then by all means get them and never look back. Are there better choices for sound quality at $300? Definitely yes. But when you play in that price range, you'll likely need amplification and upgraded sources to realize the better sound quality. Rarely are headphones simply plug-and-play. 

With that said, the main competitors to the P5 are the headphones featured in armaegis's comparison reviews here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/574617/review-comparison-beyerdynamic-dt1350-t50p-sennheiser-hd25-1-ii-hd25-13-ii-pioneer-hdj-2000-v-moda-m80-aiaiai-tma-1

Jan 2, 2012 at 5:24 PM Post #8 of 23
I just can't recommend the p5. When these came out I wanted them to have the magical B&W speaker sound. This just isn't the case. I agree with others that it is a good headphone at a much lower price.

A majority of us are in the same predicament where we can not test gear before buying because of store policy or lack of availability. It is hard to spend $300 based on the advice of strangers but it could be very rewarding. I did and am extremely happy.

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:24 PM Post #9 of 23
P5's sound wonderful. If you're used to bright headphones and bright sources, they will sound muffled. But when you de-program yourself from all that crap, you will notice the smooth undistorted musical qualities of the P5.

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:40 PM Post #10 of 23
Jan 2, 2012 at 7:46 PM Post #11 of 23
If you can wait, you might want to look at the klipsch mode m40, I just tried them finally found a working pair at a Brookstones. They sound much better then their Klipsch Image One headphones and will be released soon. I actually preordered a pair after some listening. Assuming the actual models are identical to the demo model, they appear that they will be extremely durable. 

Feb 24, 2012 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 23
I've had my P5s for about 9 months.  No, they don't rival my LCD-2s, but there's no way I'm leaving my house with those on! 
gs1000.gif

I've taken them on a few trips and paired up with a Centrance DACPort they sound very nice.  I don't hear the problems other people apparently do.  Also, several women have said they liked the design, so that's not a bad thing.

Mar 7, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #14 of 23

Quote:
I know that there are more highly rated headphones in the $300 price range here, but none of them can easily be auditioned.
I have heard the p5 and think that they are wonderful sonically and comfort wise. Plus they seem to be pretty compact for full-size headphones.
I do feel that they sound better than Klipsch, Beats, Bose (all available at retail)

Should I buy or just go on faith that other highly recommended headphones (Denon, Grado, Sennheisers) here will outperform the p5s?

Thanks!

Don't do it! I auditioned these at an Apple store and fell in love with these, pulled the trigger and bought them . . . I quickly found out that they were unstable (you had to remember to say the words yes and no while wearing them instead of shaking your head) and became uncomfortable after a short while (despite B&W's claim that they would remain comfortable for hours). Don't make the same mistake I did! Or I will find you!
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #15 of 23
If you get them maybe it will take us one step closer to a statement phone givin the difference between the t50p wich I love! and the t1 also love, I think its fair to asume there statement phone would be a perfect mate to your new p5's should you choose to except it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back