X-Cans (Tube based headphone amp) users, please read...
Jun 30, 2001 at 7:11 AM Post #17 of 28
Ok... gotcha now
smily_headphones1.gif

Are the American X-Cans made in the US, or the UK? on the UK website it says...

Quote:

"The MF is a valve design, with the sweet-sounding EC88s powering your cans retained from the original design

Would my "tubes" be different to yours? Or... (lemme see if i have this clear in my head)... are there several manufacturers of EC88s... (Philips / Siemens)... and the Siemens version is better than the Philips?

Am I (finally) on the right path?

Jun 30, 2001 at 9:25 AM Post #18 of 28
The X-Can is made in the UK, the tubes are Jan/Phillips ones which is nothing to be excited about. A better "vintage" tubes can be found on the web easy enough. Go to http://store.yahoo.com/triodeel/6dec69e8.html and you'll see loads here. The mullard are the best but also cost the most, the price only includes 1 tube. But since they are made in the 70's, the quantity are limited. Once they are gone, they are gone. And if I am going to replace them anyway, why not use the best ones?

I have brought a pair so when the original tubes in my X-cans eventually goes, I'll replace them with a much better pair. But I am happy with the sound as it is so I any improvement it's a nice bonus.

Jun 30, 2001 at 1:35 PM Post #20 of 28
Thanks for your patience, and help... Much apreciated... I hate being a newbie at anything... especially something i'm supposed to know about
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm definetly going to order some of those $34.95 tubes next month (lol... bought some Sennheiser HD580s today so... money is in short supply)

Just one final question if possible...

How much (realistically) will i damage (shorten the life of) the tubes by not waiting until the unit is fully warmed up before use... I'm giving it an hour... but, when i first got it home the other day... I listened to it straight away... is this a BIG no no??

Jul 1, 2001 at 5:40 AM Post #21 of 28
Nice Call on Getting the Senn 580s

1. The X-Canv2 was designed to be left on all time so don't have to worry about warming it up if you leave it plugged in all the time.

But...

2. If you use a power switch to turn it on and off, or you unplug it after use, you should let it warm up an hour or so before listening. Maybe pick a time in the day to turn it on. Maybe before you go to work, or during the middle of day on the weekends.

I don't think you can damage tubes by not warming them up. You can just shorten their life if you don't.

Good luck and report your results!

Jul 1, 2001 at 11:25 AM Post #22 of 28
THe hot adaptor worries me a lot. ESpecially now with summer's hot weather ( I dont have central air turn on 24/7)

My question:

HAs the wallwart ever die on you ?(xcanv2 owners and everyone else) ANd if the adaptor breaks down, is it ok to replace it with the same ac adaptor voltage ?

12 volt 500mA I mean . ( 12v 500mA is what it says on my musical fidelity ac adaptor)

Tides
confused.gif

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:30 PM Post #23 of 28
I've been pondering this myself. Eventually, the adapter may go bad since it runs hot. I was thinking of replacing the adapter w/ a Liquid Acid Battery, but never got around to it. There is slighly bigger adapter you can get at Radioshack, 800ma($15or so). Just make sure you use an adapter that outputs AC Not DC. My adapter has not gone bad, but I use a power conditioner to turn the amp on and off.

Where the hell do you get an adapter that outputs AC at higher mAs? Maybe the Diy folks know.
confused.gif

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:45 PM Post #24 of 28
You can always buy one from Musical Fidelity if it breaks down, or someone who has a X-PSU as you don't need the walwarts if you have a X-PSU. I actually have 2 spares now as the X-PSU powers the X-ACT too.

In principle, if you have a wallwart that output the same Votage and mA then it should work. I remember when my gameboy's power adaptor broke I used one that has a variable voltage output switch. I just switched to 4.5v (for some reason it needs less voltage with wallwart than batteriers) and it works perfectly.

If you can't find a replacement then go buy a X-PSU, that thing stays cold all the time! no idea why? Even when running 2 X-ponents for over 3 hours, it don't even get warm.

Jul 1, 2001 at 12:51 PM Post #25 of 28
Quote:

If you can't find a replacement then go buy a X-PSU, that thing stays cold all the time!

I would if there is one for sale !
wink.gif
( I am in USA here and Xpsu is impossible to find.. I tried..) I remember reading in Musical fidelity xcanv2 manual it said to ONLY use MF ac adaptors. ( which is why I post and asked about if using same voltage and mA adaptor is ok)

raymondlin,

any chance you willing to part with 1 of the MF ac adaptor ? ( same voltage and amp as the one for Xcanv2 right ?)

send me a msg if you are willing to part with one. Ordering MF ac adaptor is not easy when I am in USA. I was unable to find a place that sells just the Musical Fidelity official xcanv2 ac adaptor.

Check your private msg please

TIdes

Jul 2, 2001 at 12:03 AM Post #26 of 28
Tides... You worry me...

I didn't get a manual with my X-Cans... I got it boxed, with the white papery plastic bag... and the PSU was boxed... but... no manual... Erm... Does that sound not so good?

Jul 2, 2001 at 12:31 AM Post #27 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by Duncan
Tides... You worry me...

I didn't get a manual with my X-Cans... I got it boxed, with the white papery plastic bag... and the PSU was boxed... but... no manual... Erm... Does that sound not so good?

I've received stuff before with no manual that looked otherwise new. As long as all is working as new, and the unit looks like it's new (unless you bought it used), I'd just contact the dealer and ask them to send you a manual.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back