May 10, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #2,252 of 2,325
May 10, 2024 at 6:40 AM Post #2,253 of 2,325
Xduoo XD-05Pro Leather Protective Case is available now:relaxed:

https://penonaudio.com/Xduoo-XD-05Pro-Protective-Case

xd-05pro case_proc.jpg
I'm using this case, very well made!

IMG_20240504_173120.jpg

May 10, 2024 at 7:23 AM Post #2,255 of 2,325
In my experience, the difference in signature between the various types of DAC is not a mere question of frequency response, which today is almost linear for all, but mainly the dynamic behavior (macro dynamics) and the capacity for introspection (microdynamics). These differences in dynamic behavior modify the perception of "sound energy" that we perceive at various frequencies. This must then be coupled with the behavior of headphones or speakers, in order to obtain the result that each of us prefers.

May 10, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #2,256 of 2,325
I would recommend to make own measurements of frequency response on ROHM module. Guarantee - you will be disappointed on both Lows and Highs
Why don’t you show us your measurements and then we can discuss from there onwards?
Coz some of us might not have the capabilities or the right equipments to make our own measurements.
Or you are also just quoting measurements done by other people? If so, could you please link the source as well?

Please don’t take this the wrong way as I’m just curious and wanted to learn more. Plus it is hard to convey tone in a wall of texts and people often misunderstood tone through texts.

Cheers.

May 10, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #2,257 of 2,325
Why don’t you show us your measurements and then we can discuss from there onwards?
Coz some of us might not have the capabilities or the right equipments to make our own measurements.
Or you are also just quoting measurements done by other people? If so, could you please link the source as well?

Please don’t take this the wrong way as I’m just curious and wanted to learn more. Plus it is hard to convey tone in a wall of texts and people often misunderstood tone through texts.

Cheers.
Shared before in this post: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/xduoo-xd05pro.964620/post-17762857

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #2,258 of 2,325
In my experience, the difference in signature between the various types of DAC is not a mere question of frequency response, which today is almost linear for all, but mainly the dynamic behavior (macro dynamics) and the capacity for introspection (microdynamics). These differences in dynamic behavior modify the perception of "sound energy" that we perceive at various frequencies. This must then be coupled with the behavior of headphones or speakers, in order to obtain the result that each of us prefers.
Fully agree. Judging a DAC based on measurements is no different than doing benchmarks of mobile chipsets, far from real-life scenarios.

May 10, 2024 at 9:54 AM Post #2,259 of 2,325
-2 db @ 20 Hz ...and... 0.8 db @ 20kz, ...really? Those are totally irrelevant, compared to the differences in frequency response of the headphones or speakers you listen to.
If you really think that this could be the reason why some prefer the midrange performance of the ROHM module... I think that sooner or later you will find yourself starting to consider things from other points of view too, if you really want to orient your choices consciously in such a complex matter.

May 10, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #2,260 of 2,325
Speaking of DAC and preference. I think the ESS module is excellent. Does anyone here prefer the AKM module? Is it warmer with looser technicals?

May 10, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #2,262 of 2,325
Speaking of DAC and preference. I think the ESS module is excellent. Does anyone here prefer the AKM module? Is it warmer with looser technicals?
i think that the ESS dac is excellent as well, but maybe too excellent in my taste? if that make sense.

The ESS is too technical to my ears, therefore has too much details and information in all of my music. It is not as relaxing as the AKM and ROHM dac. I can only listen to the ESS for a short period of time before feeling fatigue and burnout. The details and information that the ESS brings out can sometimes make a music/song you thought is good into a bad song and makes you wonder why one of your favorite song suddenly become so terrible.

The AKM is much more relaxed than the ESS. Less details and information in the music. When listening to JPOP with a lot of things happening at once i feel like the ESS dac is stressing me out while the AKM does not. Only thing i dont like about the AKM dac is that it likes to cut out the first 2seconds of certain songs for no apparent reason. This does not happened with the ESS and ROHM dacs. No idea why. If anybody knows the reason for this to happen please enlighten me.

Lastly, the ROHM dac is my current favorite as most of the songs i listen to nowadays are mandopop and jpop which emphasize on vocals especially female vocals and i feel that the ROHM dac brings out the female vocals more. It feels like the female vocals have more weight to them. Pairing the ROHM with MUSES02 is just *chef's kiss" to my ears. I can listen to this all day. However the downside of the ROHM dac is that although it has the most relaxed sound it also has the least details and information as sometimes you cant pick out which instrument is which as it felt like they are all mushed together.

May 10, 2024 at 12:30 PM Post #2,263 of 2,325
Thanks @ChangTan. It does get fatiguing. Sometimes I switch to a less resolving IEM. I am not sure if I want to get the ROHM dac. The UFEEL MK09 pushes the mids forward as well. I guess the problem is that you can't try the other dacs without buying them.

May 10, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #2,264 of 2,325
Thanks @ChangTan. It does get fatiguing. Sometimes I switch to a less resolving IEM. I am not sure if I want to get the ROHM dac. The UFEEL MK09 pushes the mids forward as well. I guess the problem is that you can't try the other dacs without buying them.
U stayed in Singapore as well right? If U keen to try I can let U try mine ROHM with HA8802 with Ufeel MK8.

May 10, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #2,265 of 2,325
-2 db @ 20 Hz ...and... 0.8 db @ 20kz, ...really? Those are totally irrelevant, compared to the differences in frequency response of the headphones or speakers you listen to.
If you really think that this could be the reason why some prefer the midrange performance of the ROHM module... I think that sooner or later you will find yourself starting to consider things from other points of view too, if you really want to orient your choices consciously in such a complex matter.
Yes, really. Even flat frequency response mean not a lot in terms of sound quality, but issues in it usually shows deeper problems and I've definitely heard them.
Any frequency response distortion should be treated like call to action to check other params.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back