Yamaha yhl-006 restoration help
Nov 4, 2017 at 6:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

longboarder

New Head-Fier
So I recently went to a garage sale and picked up a Panasonic to-e27v since I have a thing for tapes and it came with a pair of the porsche design Yamaha yhl-006 headphones. Of course since it was a black model I assumed it was just a crummy pair of additional old headphones, but after I heard of their rarity I really want to repair these. First things first, what can I do to repair the felt pads? Thanks and regards,
Thomas

Attachments

• IMG_0036.JPG
    IMG_0036.JPG
    206.8 KB · Views: 0
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #2 of 7
Screen-Shot-2016-11-14-at-20.25.13.png

Those felt pads I think are supposed to be a foam dome. So you mean what is on them now are a felt type thing? If so they were replaced after the foam wore out.

Like half a sphere, or is it 2/5ths? , the same diameter as the baffle fronts.

No idea where to find that sort of shaped foam to those dimensions. Perhaps an audio store that sells microphone covers? Ebay for field recording mic covers?
You will want something that allows passthrough of sound without being too dense and overly muffling it. So the mic covers/guards would be a good way to go.

I fupon properly cutting the mic cover tips off you have a hollow section behind there still due to their shape, you could simply use a bit of the remainder of the same foam to fill that cavity

I'd suggest clown noses but red might look funny :)

Last edited:
Nov 4, 2017 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 7

Those felt pads I think are supposed to be a foam dome. So you mean what is on them now are a felt type thing? If so they were replaced after the foam wore out.

Like half a sphere, or is it 2/5ths? , the same diameter as the baffle fronts.

No idea where to find that sort of shaped foam to those dimensions. Perhaps an audio store that sells microphone covers? Ebay for field recording mic covers?
You will want something that allows passthrough of sound without being too dense and overly muffling it. So the mic covers/guards would be a good way to go.

I'd suggest clown noses but red might look funny :)
I saw a guy do one with those red magic balls and they had to be fitted with a 3d print model. Due to my inability to purchase super high end products such as a 3d printer, and my time constraints due to school work, I am kind of limited to what I can really do. Heres an image of what it looks like currently right now. I was wondering if there were any custom pad makers that exist that could make replacements <13$ (+ shipping)? Thanks for the inital help!
my_photo-1.jpg

Nov 4, 2017 at 11:07 PM Post #4 of 7
looks to me like in stock form those foam domes had a lip that slipped over the edges of the cups to stay fitted.
Only other way for now would be to measure the baffle diameters and possibly buy some super cheap flat foam headphone pad sets , close to or the exact same diameter.
They will have a lip that is slightly smaller for stretching over any headphones edges.
You could then simply cut a few discs with the others gradually stacking them up in smaller diameters underneath the main one.
They are generally stretchy enough to allow for this, and at least it would give you a dome shape more or less with an outer overing, and take little time or money to try out.
then you'd also have the lip so it stays put .
( or get a set for the outers and a few sets gradually smaller for placing underneath until you end up at the earbud sizes at the very tops. Depending upon dome height you might need a slightly larger set for the outer earside layer)

If the acoustic transparency of the red magic balls is too dense it will totally ruin , change , or diminish the sound output.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017 at 8:16 PM Post #6 of 7

Users who are viewing this thread

Back