Yanyin Canon vs Penon Serial
Apr 3, 2023 at 9:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LostControl85

New Head-Fier
Looking for comparison on these 2 iem's. Heard nothing but great things for both iem's.

Current setup- L30 DAP & Qudelix 5k. Have Clairvoyance & Ej07m kl as primary.

Goal is a nice travel set with 3.5mm end for using DAP direct. Clairs are beauitful but sound best with eq. Kinda Lava sound great as is but single ended at 2.5mm. Obviously buying a new cable is the cheapest & easiest but what fun would that be!

Thanks

Apr 3, 2023 at 10:55 AM Post #2 of 13
The Serial need power to get going and the two have two very different sound signature.

Of course the Canon is tunable without a eq.

The best sounding for me on Canon was 010 switches and it's a very competent IEM in terms of Resolution and clarity.

The Serial is much darker and laid back treble. Really depends on your preference for sound signature. If vocals are your thing with more coloration then Penon Serial. For more correct tonality and clarity then the Canon.

Personally I have both and pick up the Canon over the Serial as I like my female vocals to sound correct and have more of a edge.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #3 of 13
The Serial need power to get going and the two have two very different sound signature.

Of course the Canon is tunable without a eq.

The best sounding for me on Canon was 010 switches and it's a very competent IEM in terms of Resolution and clarity.

The Serial is much darker and laid back treble. Really depends on your preference for sound signature. If vocals are your thing with more coloration then Penon Serial. For more correct tonality and clarity then the Canon.

Personally I have both and pick up the Canon over the Serial as I like my female vocals to sound correct and have more of a edge.

Is there something better than Canon today in the same (or lower) prince range? Something better in general I mean.

Apr 3, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #4 of 13
Is there something better than Canon today in the same (or lower) prince range? Something better in general I mean.
If ypu don't have a Simgot EA500 buy one. Honestly well deserves the hype.

Apr 4, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #6 of 13
Apr 4, 2023 at 8:08 AM Post #7 of 13
Are the Simgot EA500 superior to the Canon? If yes in which way exactly?

I have both and the Canon are superior in all ways but for £54 the Simgot are the best iems at that price range for me. The canons are more refined and more versatile due to the tuning switches. If you can get the canons under 300 dollars I would say get them.

Apr 4, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #8 of 13
I have both and the Canon are superior in all ways but for £54 the Simgot are the best iems at that price range for me. The canons are more refined and more versatile due to the tuning switches. If you can get the canons under 300 dollars I would say get them.

The canon in 020 setting (mids switch on) is 10/10 to me. Compared to the simgot, 020 setting has more sub bass and more forward vocals. I rate the Simgot 9/10. If it had the subbass and mids of the canons, I would have sold my canons already.

Apr 4, 2023 at 9:16 AM Post #9 of 13
The canon in 020 setting (mids switch on) is 10/10 to me. Compared to the simgot, 020 setting has more sub bass and more forward vocals. I rate the Simgot 9/10. If it had the subbass and mids of the canons, I would have sold my canons already.
The Simgot has better sub bass with the mod and overall better faster punchier bass. I did my final mid with half of a 4mm x 3mm high density foam stuffed into vent and a small filter overtop.

Apr 4, 2023 at 1:13 PM Post #10 of 13
The Canon and Serial are quite different flavours.. The Canon is going for a more technical yet musical, exciting listen with excellent versatility via its tuning switches. I personally love the 110 setting :) The Serial on the other hand has more warmth and this really unique vintage feel, with lush mids, powerful bass and relaxed treble. It has a really special sound that immerses me in the song and takes me back in time.. That being said, it is harder to recommend since its going for a very unique sound signature that I haven't quite heard in any other IEM.

So in summary, the Canon is a versatile beast while the Serial brings vintage goodness. Pick your poison. They are both fantastic and I love them both!

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2023 at 11:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Well ordered a Simgot ea500 lol. Will keep an eye out for used Serial to pick up eventually.

Apr 5, 2023 at 7:57 AM Post #12 of 13
Apr 5, 2023 at 10:47 PM Post #13 of 13
You are welcome 😊 enjoy.
Bruh...Its unreal, & that's not even taking into account the price. I'm running the red nozzle with 500 mesh filter to tame that spice slightly. Tried the Dragon (Bronze) cable but too muddy & dark. Used my Amazon hybrid & wow!!! The stock cable is good, this is great. Didn't care for black nozzle as much. Might try the Y1 filter mod tomorrow but the sub bass is ok imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back