Yulong D18 & LD MK VIII SE: Too Much Tubeyness?
Oct 31, 2012 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

oshox

New Head-Fier
I'm getting a Little Dot MK VIII SE and a pair of Beyerdynamic Tesla T1's. While LD is building my amp, I have time to decide on the best DAC.

My first notion was the Yulong D18. It has balanced outputs, a great reputation, and a reasonable price tag. My only concern is that reviewers constany mention it's "tube" sound. Considering I'm using a tube amp, I am worried that the combination might add too much harmonic distortion.

Do I have any reason to be concerned?

Nov 12, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #2 of 2
Quote:
I'm getting a Little Dot MK VIII SE and a pair of Beyerdynamic Tesla T1's. While LD is building my amp, I have time to decide on the best DAC.

My first notion was the Yulong D18. It has balanced outputs, a great reputation, and a reasonable price tag. My only concern is that reviewers constany mention it's "tube" sound. Considering I'm using a tube amp, I am worried that the combination might add too much harmonic distortion.

Do I have any reason to be concerned?

I wouldn't be concerned. It's not that it has a "tube" sound, it doesnt sound like most DACs - Digital. The Yulong D18 is a very organic and natural sounding DAC. I think you have nothing to lose, especially if you order from Grant Fidelity, which include a return policy. I would also recommend terminating the T1 to a XLR connection to get the most out of your setup.

Cheers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back