Yulong Sabre D18 & DA8 - awesome sound, suboptimal behavior
Nov 19, 2013 at 12:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

itdoessuck

New Head-Fier

Hi,
        I have purchased both the Yulong Sabre D18 and DA8; the first through eBay and the second through a distributor.   I'm very impressed with the sound quality but both units have not behaved very well.    I'm posting this to see if anyone out there has any helpful suggestions / fixes.

The Sabre D18 worked superbly for approximately 3 months, then it started to lose sync with the digital SPDIF and optical inputs - not locking on to the bit stream.   This is a well-recognized behaviour; after writing the manufacturer I was told to use a higher quality digital output device.     Originally I used an EMU 1212m semi-pro audio card for the output and have tested the D18 with both with S/PDIF and AES/EBU output formats with no joy.     I switched to a brand new EMU 1212m card that worked perfectly in another system - same behaviour.   I then tried the SPDIF output on my Intel DX58SO motherboard - same behaviour.      This is very odd -> the D18 worked without a hitch for three months initially, then didn't work well with three different systems and I'm being told the issue is not with the D18, but with poor quality supply bit streams - from three separate devices.     Draw your own conclusions.    This is similar to being told that a frog that has no legs can't jump when commanded to because it is deaf.

After spending some frustrating months with the D18 I bought one of the first DA8's to come out.     Again, this at first worked perfectly at first with stellar sound.  I was very happy -  the manufacturer is welcome to quote me on this one if he desires.

After approximately 2-3 months, the unit's LCD display would sporadically start cyclically rebooting when powered on; by this I mean the LCD would first display appropriate data, then go blank, then I’d hear the power relay 'click' and the cycle would repeat.   Oddly enough, the DAC would play uninterrupted music during this time.    I've tried using different inputs - optical and SPDIF / AES/EBU with no change in behaviour.     I'm running a Furman power conditioner in front of the unit to filter the AC line; I tried putting an additional filter in front of the DA8 with no luck.   I've written to the seller and haven't received a reply.  

The above behaviour is sporadic  – some days the DA8 works fine, other days the on-off cycling won’t stop & I just give up, shut it off and switch to the EMU DAC.    This makes me wonder about AC line noise issues and that’s why I’ve tried to heavily filter the AC input to the unit to no avail.   BTW, none of my other electronic equipment malfunctions during this period. 

Other than the above, I think Yulong makes great equipment and I’m obviously a fan.    Has anyone had any similar experiences or suggestions?
Many thanks!

Dec 16, 2013 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 13
That's chinese quality control for you. They make impressive aluminium chassis for the price, but quality control sucks and will forever suck in China. It's in their DNA.

I also had a CEC HD53N amp that I loved but it was also made in China and it developed a slight noise when adjusting volume. In fact when I think about it only the chinese made equipment ever broke down at my house, none of the german or american made stuff ever broke.

I'm a sample of one, together we're a sample of two. FYI ! :)

Dec 16, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #3 of 13
I do not think two different units experiencing the same symptoms is a coincidence IMO. Have you tried not using the Furman conditioner for a while to see if the results are consistent? Does it protect from brownouts?

Dec 20, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #4 of 13
  I do not think two different units experiencing the same symptoms is a coincidence IMO. Have you tried not using the Furman conditioner for a while to see if the results are consistent? Does it protect from brownouts?

I think this is the first thing I'd be doing!!!

Dec 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #5 of 13
That's chinese quality control for you. They make impressive aluminium chassis for the price, but quality control sucks and will forever suck in China. It's in their DNA.

I also had a CEC HD53N amp that I loved but it was also made in China and it developed a slight noise when adjusting volume. In fact when I think about it only the chinese made equipment ever broke down at my house, none of the german or american made stuff ever broke.

I'm a sample of one, together we're a sample of two. FYI !
smily_headphones1.gif

No you are not a sample of 2.  I have had bad experience too with other Chinese made pro-audio equipment in the past.  Recently, a head-fier has recommended me the Yulong DACs, Teradak? for their sound quality but I've been burnt quite a few times already and remain skeptical/careful.  Dealing with a company across the pond is not optimal in my book.  Nothing against high quality, well QC Chinese products so don't jump on me please.  I am just sharing my personal experience.

Sep 4, 2014 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 13
  Thanks for posting this.  Folks need to know what to expect.

HS

Sorry but I believe this is an unfair comment. I've had a D18 for over two years with daily use and it still performs perfectly. I agree with brunk, two different dacs from the same factory with the same problem after months of use.....I believe something else in your system is responsible. There are too many possible causes to list them here. 

Sep 5, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #10 of 13
  Sorry but I believe this is an unfair comment. I've had a D18 for over two years with daily use and it still performs perfectly. I agree with brunk, two different dacs from the same factory with the same problem after months of use.....I believe something else in your system is responsible. There are too many possible causes to list them here. 

No apology necessary.  I think you should express your views here. 

I can tell you I am aware of a great deal on this product and I will not be purchasing it.  I am big on customer service.  I've tested a lot of stuff...performance stuff for auto racing.  A lot of it didn't work but the manufacturer made it right...that's what was of most interest to me...follow-up support as well as performance once new stuff was sorted out.

HS

Sep 6, 2014 at 9:30 AM Post #11 of 13

No apology necessary.  I think you should express your views here. 

I can tell you I am aware of a great deal on this product and I will not be purchasing it.  I am big on customer service.  I've tested a lot of stuff...performance stuff for auto racing.  A lot of it didn't work but the manufacturer made it right...that's what was of most interest to me...follow-up support as well as performance once new stuff was sorted out.

HS

That is exactly my point. A product that is not properly supported by its manufacturer is no product I would ever buy, no matter how good. Nobody buys an awesome car that only lasts three months and the manufacturer refuses to repair. Why should this be true of audio gear?

Sep 6, 2014 at 11:54 AM Post #12 of 13

That is exactly my point. A product that is not properly supported by its manufacturer is no product I would ever buy, no matter how good. Nobody buys an awesome car that only lasts three months and the manufacturer refuses to repair. Why should this be true of audio gear?

Do we actually know that Yulong refused to repair those units? If you do a search I cannot find other instances of repair problems with Yulong. Do we even know if the two units in question were actually shipped back to Yulong for service? If they were shipped back and Yulong refused service I would be very concerned myself, but I did not read it that way.

Sep 6, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #13 of 13
  Do we actually know that Yulong refused to repair those units? If you do a search I cannot find other instances of repair problems with Yulong. Do we even know if the two units in question were actually shipped back to Yulong for service? If they were shipped back and Yulong refused service I would be very concerned myself, but I did not read it that way.

I agree, what he is saying isn't definitive, but I did give some weight to:

"...I'm being told the issue is not with the D18, but with poor quality supply bit streams - from three separate devices.     Draw your own conclusions."

and

"I've written to the seller and haven't received a reply. "

Perhaps the original poster can chime in at this point and tell us whether he has contacted Yulong himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back