Zagg Z.buds/Z-buds Generation 1 and 2 Review
Apr 30, 2009 at 4:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

FYJX

Previously known as MaoDi
Intro:
The Zagg Z-buds priced at just $79.99 is a fantastic choice for a hands free headset that people might want to consider. Zagg first came out with the generation 1, which was silver. Later, Zagg revised the z-bud, came out with an all new Black version with four different colour cables, improved triple flange sleeve, along with enhanced audio quality and earphone design. Zagg this month just came out with another revision which is the Z-buds without a microphone for $10 cheaper.

Packaging:
Packaging is a tad on the cheap side, though it's in the very common, sealed plastic, the outer thin cardboard box is quite low in quality and doesnt quite shut. However, the triangular design does catch an eye and is quiet a creative design.

Most Important, Sound Quality

Highs: Gen1-5/10 Gen2-6/10
The Highs i found lacking. The vocals and cymbals very pulled back majorly, you can hear them, but they're not very crisp and detailed. Like an Ultimate Ears, Jays, or Etymotic. It's acceptable, improvement on Generation 2, but still not enough to fix the problem.

Mids: Gen1-6.5/10 Gen2-7.5/10
i myself really liked the mids, they were very warm, delicious (yes i just said delicious). Kind of like Shure's sound signature, but darker and less detailed. But overall, the mids are present and "fun" to listen too. High mids may fall a bit weak for example like the vocals, but that problem was solved instantly when i amped them.

Lows: Gen1-7.5/10 Gen2-8/10
This is the party piece with the Zagg's. The lows are very present, powerful, and thumping. I myself didn't like it, as i myself is a person that prefers a balanced, neutral sound compared to a bass heavy sound. But if you're a bass freak/head, go and dive into this. it's a affordable earphone that delivers just taht, it may not be as accurate and precise as say a Atrio M5 or Sennheiser Ie8, but it's a nice intro to that kind of world. The Lows can be muddy at times and also overpower the other frequencies, but problem was solved a lot after amping.

Accessories:
Decent, with a couple pairs of foams, couple pairs of silicone and a pair of triple Flange. Comes with a "Carrying Case", i put this in quotes because it really is only for CARRYING, it doesn't protect your earphones in anyways. It's just a soft, string top pouch. That is everything =)

Fit:
The Fit i found fantastic, the tips are perfect with this earphone. As the earpieces are light, the tips are stiffer (still soft silicone though!), and go deep enough to stay in your ears nicely.

Cables...what can i say. Are Absolutely BEAUTIFUL, it's not as flexible as Westone's cable, no no where near. But MY god these things don't tangle! and yes, when i say they don't tangle they REALLY don't. You can do whatever you want with them (be reasonable....we're not talking about tying knots into them....)

Microphonics wise, pretty close to none. Nothing really is heard from the cables, maybe slightly when it's rubs against your shirt, as braided cables tend to do this. But it's very acceptable, i think the cables are done very nicely.

Microphone:
I Found it to be one of the best and most affordable mics on a headset yet. It's not quiet as clear or as noise cancelling as say as Shure;s own Mobile mic, the MPA Adapter. But the calls are very clear, and crisp. Not much background noise is heard.

Looks:
The Average earphone look, Genius design but not exactly the looker like say a Phonak Audeo is super funky cross edge kadooper good looking, or the monster turbine BLING BLING.

conclusion:
Variation: Black, yellow, Pink, Red
Transducer: Single Dynamic Driver
Impedance: 32ohm (@1kHz)
Frequency Range: 20Hz-20kHz
Sensitivity (1mW): 94dB SPL/mW
Cord Style: Y-cord
Mini Jack Style: Gold plated Straight
Eartips Used: Silicone
Packaging: 6/10, Safe, good looking, but cheap in material
Build Quality: 7/10 Feels pretty safe, but it doesn't seem like it's made of what Jays earphones are made of the super hard plastic, polycarbonate.
Accessories: 6/10
Isolation: 8.5/10
Microphonics: 7/10 Straight down, can hear cables rubbing against shirt, could get irritating
Comfort: 7/1
Soundstage: 6/10
Sound Quality: 6/10
Microphone: 8.5/10
Value: 9/10

Overall, awesome headset for the Price. if you seriously are using this as a headset, i would recommend it for anyone out there, it's nice to use, easy to use, nice cables, good isolation, clear calls and excellent background noise cancelling. However if you're using for music, i would recommend them to people that prefer a dark sound which are also closer to bassheads. Conclusion though, they are very nice for what they do for the price. =D

Apr 30, 2009 at 5:48 AM Post #2 of 2
well, considering i was quite lenient on the zagg z-buds in my review of a 'tap' or 3/5, the new ones had better be better. the cable is too heavy and long, too microphonic and catches on things. it does not bend and is fiddly when out and about. shallow flanges for hooking onto eartips made a muffled sound with most ear pieces and the sound... purely a poor showing for an 80$ phone.

i hope the new version is better. id be happy to test it someday but i would never pay for it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back