ZERO 24/192 DAC, Anyone heard of this DAC amp?
Oct 30, 2007 at 2:49 AM Post #16 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by TURBO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just received it. It sounds fun, dark and bassy, due to the chip on it (AD1852). Almost like a tube amp. Burning-in as we speak. From the analog output, it drives my HD600 like a toy. Almost as powerful as my Darkvoice 332. At 9 o'clock (too loud), weird. What kind of animal is this?. mmm, mmmmmm........

Right now, listening Jean Luc Ponty, Le Voyage. Je, je......

I received mine too a couple of days ago (Saturday) and have been burning it in also. It is alot of fun! Seems t be very well built and put together. Very powerful headphone amp as you noticed, drives all of my high-end headphones to loud levels without clipping or distorting or fuzzin over. So it does have enough drive. I did find it a bit harsh and brigt sounding compared to my Creek OBH-11SE headphone amp. I tried replacing the original OPA2604 DAC amp with a few other op amps I have on hand. To keep it short, I think I prefered the OPA627 opamps (2x OPA627 on Brown-Dog adapter) because it smoothed things out to my liking. However, I put the original OPA2604 back in to run it for a long while and burn it in. Good news is that it is sounding smoother and better with burn in. For real! Enjoy! Not bad for the price. Nice AC power supply too, so has some oomph to it.

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:11 AM Post #17 of 113
I do have it stock and is maturing by the minute. I cleaned all chips feet and contacts with alcohol 99% before I turn it on. Also, I cleaned all rca jacks.

Very tube sounding DAC, indeed. I am using HD600 and it sounds very smooth and pleasant to my ears. I cant believe this. Je, je....

Oct 30, 2007 at 3:18 AM Post #18 of 113
Quote:

I do have it stock and is maturing by the minute. I cleaned all chips feet and contacts with alcohol 99% before I turn it on. Also, I cleaned all rca jacks.

Very tube sounding DAC, indeed. I am using HD600 and it sounds very smooth and pleasant to my ears. I cant believe this. Je, je....

Oh yes! I agree they sound best with my HD650's and HD600's. Not bad with my RS-1 either and the hard to drive AKG-701 is driven but not as loud as the others. The Senn HD6x0 phones seem to mate well with this amp. Lovely lush, liquidy smooth with the HD650. Not bad at all!
600smile.gif

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:51 PM Post #19 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by unbiased /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yes! I agree they sound best with my HD650's and HD600's. Not bad with my RS-1 either and the hard to drive AKG-701 is driven but not as loud as the others. The Senn HD6x0 phones seem to mate well with this amp. Lovely lush, liquidy smooth with the HD650. Not bad at all!
600smile.gif

This is so excellent, I just purchased one. I'm hoping to get it next week, then a nice burn in and I'll report back my findings. I've been watching to see if anyone else noticed this DAC/AMP. I ran into it one night on eBay and thought highly of what I saw. It is wonderful that you folks pulled the trigger and already have had excellent results! Thanks so much! Now I just have to wait for it to arrive!
biggrin.gif

Dave McLaughlin

Oct 30, 2007 at 8:54 PM Post #20 of 113
Ow, I forgot. I plan on using this in consort with my LD MKIVse tube amp. I have several DAPs with optical out to try, so this should be lots of fun.

Dave McLaughlin

Oct 30, 2007 at 11:19 PM Post #21 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ow, I forgot. I plan on using this in consort with my LD MKIVse tube amp. I have several DAPs with optical out to try, so this should be lots of fun.

Dave McLaughlin

Je, je. The amp section sounds so fun that you will retire the LD. jE, JE. Be aware.
very_evil_smiley.gif

Oct 31, 2007 at 2:29 AM Post #22 of 113
Quote:

Je, je. The amp section sounds so fun that you will retire the LD. jE, JE. Be aware.
very_evil_smiley.gif

That would be a nice surprise! But, I love my LD MKIVse! One can never have enough amps laying around.
rs1smile.gif

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:13 AM Post #23 of 113
Update. I just got my shipping notice. I guess they ran out of stock and had to build a few.
smily_headphones1.gif
How long did shipping take for you folks that have one??
Thanks

Dave McLaughlin

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:21 AM Post #24 of 113
I'm pretty excited about this Zero unit. I keep reading threads where new folks are looking for a DAC/AMP for headphones and maybe speakers later. This Zero may be just what they need, the cost being so nice too!! Once I have mine, I'm going to test if fully (stock) and write a reveiw on it.

Dave McLaughlin

Nov 5, 2007 at 2:12 PM Post #26 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude809 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If only this thing had USB as well, it would be near perfect.

You could still always use one of those separate usb to spdif adapters that sell for aroun $15 to $20. I don't know what chip is used in those standalone products but venture to guess they will be just as good or close to what these low end DAC/amp models are implementing in their circuits (except for the pico model which emphasizes that they do a better USB interface). Just a guess on my part that using an external USB to SPDIF adapter to plug into the optical input of the ZERO 24/192 will give you USB capability not far off from a unit that includes it built in.

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #28 of 113
Seems like a very interesting dac for it's price...
Does anybody have an opinion about how this dac compares to the latest Beresford 7510? They are in the same price range.
Can a newbie (I mean in the headphoneland) like me resort to the unit's built-in headphone amp until getting a proper amp?

Nov 5, 2007 at 10:05 PM Post #29 of 113
Quote:

Originally Posted by Penchum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
unbiased,
How long did shipping take for your Zero?
Thanks!
Dave McLaughlin

It took a long while for the seller to ship it. I think I waited for alittle over one week before he finally got around to ship it to me. After that it arrived fairly quickly, within the week it shipped. Not sure I remember exactly, but think it shipped on a Monday and I got it that Saturday of same week. I was about to cancel my order because he was taking so long to ship my order. But he made good on it finally and the unit is a real bargain! So it was worth it.
rs1smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back