ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 10, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #361 of 802
Aegis ammunition .... work in process ....
IMG_8024.jpeg
.... rectifier tubes not shown ....

May 10, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #362 of 802
May 10, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #365 of 802
Why does the amplifier need 2 dual triodes in input stage, because as far as I know it's an single-ended design?

The two sections of the 6SL7 are in parallel. This effectively makes each tube a single triode with twice the transconductance and half the plate resistance of each individual section. The input tubes are loaded by a high inductance choke. Paralleling the two sections gives better low frequency bandwidth compared to loading each section individually. Low frequency extension of the input stage is a function of the tube's plate resistance and the inductance of the anode choke.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #366 of 802
The two sections of the 6SL7 are in parallel. This effectively makes each tube a single triode with twice the transconductance and half the plate resistance of each individual section. The input tubes are loaded by a high inductance choke. Paralleling the two sections gives better low frequency bandwidth compared to loading each section individually. Low frequency extensions of the input stage is a function of the tubes plate resistance and the inductance of the anode choke.
I was expecting this, thanks for confirming it.

May 10, 2024 at 3:26 PM Post #368 of 802
How tall is the Aegis?
I'm about to pull the trigger on one, but I'm curious as to whether or not it'll fit on the shelves in my AV rack

It's roughly 8" tall (~203mm) with the stock tubes where the tallest thing are the transformers. Some NOS tubes are taller and may add a bit of height to that. Power tubes that require adapters will add even more height. For example, my Mullard EL38s with adapters increase the overall height to close to 10" (~250mm)

May 10, 2024 at 3:42 PM Post #369 of 802
May 10, 2024 at 4:00 PM Post #371 of 802
I believe the plan is to keep it in the line if it sells well.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed that these stay available to purchase for a bit. I 100% plan to purchase one, but will need to wait a few months before I'm able to pull the trigger.

May 10, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #372 of 802
May 10, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #373 of 802
Just placed my order! When I heard the DIY version a while back I had planned on trying to build one myself but got lazy & honestly intimidated since I'm not too familiar with amp building. Once ZMF announced they were going to sell a built one & I got to see & hear it at CanJam NYC, I knew I had to have it! Can't wait to get it. Now I just need to sell a bunch of stuff haha

May 10, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #374 of 802
Just placed my order! When I heard the DIY version a while back I had planned on trying to build one myself but got lazy & honestly intimidated since I'm not too familiar with amp building. Once ZMF announced they were going to sell a built one & I got to see & hear it at CanJam NYC, I knew I had to have it! Can't wait to get it. Now I just need to sell a bunch of stuff haha
Same here! Not that I need any more headphone amps, but I'm genuinely looking forward to hearing it with all the rave reviews it and its DIY counterpart are getting. :beerchug:

May 10, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #375 of 802
... the quest continues (veni, vidi, emi) ...
IMG_8025.jpeg
IMG_8026.jpeg
IMG_8027.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back