ZMF Aegis Official Thread
May 9, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #286 of 848
May 9, 2024 at 10:54 AM Post #288 of 848
So is the XLR output balanced?

It is balanced, but the amp is single-ended. I'm calling it pseudo balanced. The output transformer is performing a single-ended to balanced conversion, transformers can act as phase splitters. It offers a slightly different flavor relative to the 1/4" out, which is single-ended, at least to my ears.

May 9, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #289 of 848
Not to be a pain, but can you expound upon the perceptual differences between the 1/4" out and the XLR? Interesting tidbit on phase splitting functionality of the output transformer, explanation on how that happens would be cool.

The amp is gorgeous! I want one. I do have a Norne cable terminated in 1/4" so could compare with balanced output as well. We are so fortunate to have access to equipment of this caliber and aesthetic.

May 9, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #290 of 848
Not to be a pain, but can you expound upon the perceptual differences between the 1/4" out and the XLR? Interesting tidbit on phase splitting functionality of the output transformer, explanation on how that happens would be cool.

The amp is gorgeous! I want one. I do have a Norne cable terminated in 1/4" so could compare with balanced output as well. We are so fortunate to have access to equipment of this caliber and aesthetic.

For XLR, the output transformer secondary is center tapped, which splits the single-ended signal on the transformer primary into +/- phase, i.e. converts from single-ended to balanced. The way I hear it, the XLR is a little more airy, spacious whereas the 1/4" is a little more intimate but punchy and dynamic. Others may hear it differently through, but that's my take!

May 9, 2024 at 12:15 PM Post #291 of 848
For XLR, the output transformer secondary is center tapped, which splits the single-ended signal on the transformer primary into +/- phase, i.e. converts from single-ended to balanced. The way I hear it, the XLR is a little more airy, spacious whereas the 1/4" is a little more intimate but punchy and dynamic. Others may hear it differently through, but that's my take!
I have only been using the SE output, and based off your description sounds like I am using the right one for my preferences. I will have to try the XLR eventually. . .

May 9, 2024 at 1:08 PM Post #292 of 848
Does anyone know how long the warranty period is? Will it be serviced by ZMF or Cayin?

Thank you.
I'd also like to get the details on the warranty that will come with the Aegis. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I knew I could mail the amp back to ZMF if there was ever an issue. Mailing a 60lb amp back to China for repairs does not sound like an experience I would like to have.

May 9, 2024 at 1:11 PM Post #293 of 848
I'd also like to get the details on the warranty that will come with the Aegis. I'd feel a lot more comfortable if I knew I could mail the amp back to ZMF if there was ever an issue. Mailing a 60lb amp back to China for repairs does not sound like an experience I would like to have.
Good point, didn't think of that. Hopefully they have a US based service center, even if it's not Zach.

May 9, 2024 at 1:28 PM Post #294 of 848
Great point!! Would love to know before ordering a unit tomorrow.

May 9, 2024 at 1:41 PM Post #295 of 848
The only reason I have brought it up is because the Topping D90 is designed to run its best through balanced and apparently performance is lost when using the single ended mode?
Would a converter box resolve that issue? and can I just buy any converter box or do higher priced units have better performance?
It might be hard but try not to let the single ended only input affect your perception of sonic performance. Any SET amp that provides XLR inputs always uses some sort of transformer to convert those signals before feeding it through the amp. It is almost always there for convenience only and definitely not there to provide any sort of sonic improvements. Those input transformer will vary in quality and if anything it may negatively impact the overall sound of the amp itself. Introducing a transformer in between the chain will almost always colour the sound and in some cases might not be to your liking.

Regarding the dac's SE performance, I can't say for certain your dac is truly worse off RCA as I've not heard one before but my experience with dacs that are widely considered by the community to have sub par rca performance are mostly overstated. At the end of the day if an amp is SE only, the only performance (without introducing any transformer) that you'll get out off that amp with your dac is through it's SE output. I've fallen into the balanced only rabbit hole before so I understand the insecurities that comes with getting an amp that only provide SE inputs when my dac is most optimal with XLR out. Going through that has taught me that a great setup will sound great regardless of the input/output. In fact I've simplified my own setup by getting a dac that only outputs via RCA since I'm into SET amps and it has made my life a whole lot easier.

Simply put try not to overthink and simply enjoy what you're hearing.

May 9, 2024 at 2:03 PM Post #296 of 848

The warranty will be 5 years for components and 6 months for tubes. Things like cosmetic wear and tear aren't covered.

If there are any warranty issues, the unit will come directly back to ZMF for service. Sending a 60lb overseas would be miserable and we don't want to do it that way either.

May 9, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #297 of 848
The warranty will be 5 years for components and 6 months for tubes. Things like cosmetic wear and tear aren't covered.

If there are any warranty issues, the unit will come directly back to ZMF for service. Sending a 60lb overseas would be miserable and we don't want to do it that way either.
That is awesome news, and quite the warranty! As always, you guys rock!

May 9, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #298 of 848
Until Keenan clued me into the differences between 1/4" output vs XLR (not sonic differences, which he carefully avoided characterizing, but the electrical ones) I had used only the XLR output.

Then I switched to the 1/4" output & heard small but meaningful differences, all in favor of the 1/4":
  • The XLR output was obviously somewhat louder than 1/4"
  • The 1/4" immediately seemed not only quieter, but a little calmer, more controlled, smoother than XLR. When I roughly adjusted the volume of the 1/4" to equal that of the XLR, these differences remain--probably because the 1/4" output has lower output impedance at all 3 settings of the Aegis' impedance switch
In sum, to my ears the XLR output was somewhat more boisterious & vivid than the 1/4". Those not being attributes I seek out, I defaulted to the 1/4" output thereafter for all 3 headphones I used in the review.

It's possible I might think differently about the XLR output if I did any systematic tube rolling with the Aegis. That just brings me back to one of the "secret weapons" of the ZMF Aegis: the degree of sonic customization it gives the listener via choice of output types and impedance for each type.

May 9, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #299 of 848

Excellent! Thanks for the quick response!

May 9, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #300 of 848
Until Keenan clued me into the differences between 1/4" output vs XLR (not sonic differences, which he carefully avoided characterizing, but the electrical ones) I had used only the XLR output.

Then I switched to the 1/4" output & heard small but meaningful differences, all in favor of the 1/4":
  • The XLR output was obviously somewhat louder than 1/4"
  • The 1/4" immediately seemed not only quieter, but a little calmer, more controlled, smoother than XLR. When I roughly adjusted the volume of the 1/4" to equal that of the XLR, these differences remain--probably because the 1/4" output has lower output impedance at all 3 settings of the Aegis' impedance switch
In sum, to my ears the XLR output was somewhat more boisterious & vivid than the 1/4". Those not being attributes I seek out, I defaulted to the 1/4" output thereafter for all 3 headphones I used in the review.

It's possible I might think differently about the XLR output if I did any systematic tube rolling with the Aegis. That just brings me back to one of the "secret weapons" of the ZMF Aegis: the degree of sonic customization it gives the listener via choice of output types and impedance for each type.
One thing that has me really excited for the Aegis is all the varying sound possibilities with the 3 impedance settings plus the balanced and unbalanced output. Should make fine tuning to taste easier than other more fixed amps. Those I'd have to tube roll or accept the sound as is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back