ZMF Aeolus Impressions thread
Apr 11, 2024 at 9:14 PM Post #6,676 of 6,740
If you can try it on tubes I highly recommend it. Something about the Atticus/Aeolus driver that really benefits from the higher output impedance most tube amps provide. They really open up and take on a more musical and natural sound. Those drivers really do not like to be over dampened like most solid state amps will, given their normally ultra low output impedance. I almost sold my Atticus long ago when all I had was solid state. It sounded somewhat dull and unengaging on all my amps, including some heavy hitters like the V280, Phonitor, and RS08. But that first listen on a Bottlehead Crack made me a firm tube believer with high impedance headphones.
I wholeheartedly agree. The Aeolus on tubes is fantastic!
They have taken me to new heights on this chain:
LTA MZ2-> LTA ZOTL10 speaker out-> goldplanar GFI1200P-IC -> Aeolus
That's 12 tubes euphoric!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 6:39 PM Post #6,677 of 6,740
I wholeheartedly agree. The Aeolus on tubes is fantastic!
They have taken me to new heights on this chain:
LTA MZ2-> LTA ZOTL10 speaker out-> goldplanar GFI1200P-IC -> Aeolus
That's 12 tubes euphoric!

That album cover is interesting enough for me to check out that music...As for the tube amp, I'm on hold as my Aeolus are in the infirmary awaiting instructions for the rod replacement 🥲, so the pursuit of the tube sound is also on hold... a wave of sadness has come upon my ears... I was really beginning to enjoy them. Patience is the key

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2024 at 9:50 PM Post #6,679 of 6,740
That album cover is interesting enough for me to check out that music...As for the tube amp, I'm on hold as my Aeolus are in the infirmary awaiting instructions for the rod replacement 🥲, so the pursuit of the tube sound is also on hold... a wave of sadness has come upon my ears... I was really beginning to enjoy them. Patience is the ke
The perusal into the Spaceslug arena led me to the Somali Yatcht Club, another interesting group...

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2024 at 8:01 AM Post #6,680 of 6,740
Looking for (more) pad advice. Can anyone say how Ori Suede would differ from Universe Suede? My impression is that both are on the bassy, warm end of things but that the Universe have a larger ear opening and might create a bigger sense of space. Is that about right? Any other impressions about how these two differ on Aeolus? Thanks.

Apr 14, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #6,681 of 6,740
Hi.

I am interested in ZMF headphones and want to buy one soon. I can not decide between the Aeolus, Atticus and Auteur classic.

My headphones at the moment are a Beyerdynamic T1.1 and a Focal Clear OG. Sometimes i like the brighter T1 sound, sometimes the punchier, low- and mid focused clear.

I want to try those beautiful ZMFs but can not get one to test it out. I do not need a closed back but i am interested in those too. The music i like is mostly rock and metal. Some pop and hip hop too. The headphone should sound warm and meaty and forgiving, but should have some detail too.

What do you think? Should i try the Atticus with its bass and slam or the open Aeolus with more air? Should i even go higher, for the Auteur classic with its more neutral sound sig?

Thanks for your ideas and opinions.

Apr 14, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #6,682 of 6,740
Hi.

I am interested in ZMF headphones and want to buy one soon. I can not decide between the Aeolus, Atticus and Auteur classic.

My headphones at the moment are a Beyerdynamic T1.1 and a Focal Clear OG. Sometimes i like the brighter T1 sound, sometimes the punchier, low- and mid focused clear.

I want to try those beautiful ZMFs but can not get one to test it out. I do not need a closed back but i am interested in those too. The music i like is mostly rock and metal. Some pop and hip hop too. The headphone should sound warm and meaty and forgiving, but should have some detail too.

What do you think? Should i try the Atticus with its bass and slam or the open Aeolus with more air? Should i even go higher, for the Auteur classic with its more neutral sound sig?

The Auteur is the safest choice considering your current headphones, and will still give you a quite different sound. The Aeolus is a lot warmer sounding, for better or worse, so it's a riskier purchase without trying first.

Apr 14, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #6,683 of 6,740
Hi.

I think probably Auteur or Aeolus. Fyi I'm selling my cocobolo Aeolus if you're interested. Just posted in Classifieds

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:08 PM Post #6,684 of 6,740
Hi.

[My 'broken record' response is:] for first-time ZMF owners, I highly recommend Auteur Classic - for its tonal balance, dynamics, imaging, soundstage. ☑️

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:51 PM Post #6,685 of 6,740
Given your headphones and gear it doesn't surprise me you dislike them. Those headphones you have are IMO on the bright side with extended treble. And the dac/amp gear is on the neutral/bright side as well. The Aeolus is tonally on the opposite end of the spectrum with reserved treble and thick mids. But why insult them with the trollish comment they sound like $200 headphones at best? Assuming you're not actually trolling, which I'm not sure of. Regardless of intent it's clear you don't like them, so why bother wasting time on the discussion of a headphone you dislike? Surely you have better things to do with your time?

1711471297579.png
He's trolling. Came straight from another website that I won't mention.

Apr 14, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #6,686 of 6,740
He's trolling. Came straight from another website that I won't mention.
?? 🤔🤣 ?? ....
IMG_7819.jpeg

Apr 15, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #6,687 of 6,740
After testing out multiple pads including..

Stock Aeolus lambskin
Universe perf lambskin
Universe perf suede
Eikon perf lambskin
Auteur perf suede
Be2 perf suede

My top 3 are the Uni perf lambskin, Uni perf suede and the Be2 perf suede. The Be2 perf suede pad does win out overall for me. It is very well balanced, tightened up on reverb and decay, treble and upper mid frequencies are brought out ie high hats, cymbals, "clearer" or "brighter" wind instruments, etc. They are still warm pads, but to me it's much more balanced than the warm, even somewhat dark sound the lambskin pads give it. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy the Universe perf lambskin pads when I just want to be hugged by bass and can crank it up a bit for fun, but at the same time, the Be2's just get your head bobbing.....everything just seems a little bit faster....maybe it's the fast decay with a hint of trail due to the wood or ZMF tuning.

I recommend giving the Be2 perf suede pads a shot if you're able to. They're just something magical about them. I do not recommend the Eikon or Auteur pads for the Aeolus....just a little lost sounding compared to the other pads.

Apr 16, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #6,689 of 6,740
Lovely! Now you own two high impedance headphones. Look into (?) a high output impedance SS headphone amplifier - such as Beyerdynamic A20 [100 ohms]. Aeolus, 6XX, and your ears will thank you 😏.

Apr 16, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #6,690 of 6,740
This amp is really nice! I read it from Zach of ZMF that it is nice to pair with a ZMF Atticus which i am interested in. I already bought the A20 and i run my Beyerdynamic T1.1 with it. It really sounds much better than with my beloved Violectric V280. The sound seems more dynamic, with extended highs and lows.

So thank you very much Zach.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back