ZMF Auteur Thread
Apr 24, 2024 at 7:45 PM Post #8,281 of 8,327
New BBB strap and new pads acquired for my Auteur OG. First impressions are pretty great!

The triple B strap is like night and day, much more supportive than my old OG strap.

I went with the Auteur Perf Hybrids pads, don't regret it at all so far.

Bass and low mids have much more space in the stage. The old stock pads always felt too intimate in the bass and now its much more accurate.
Everything else just seems more refined for now, plus the comfort is grea
New BBB strap and new pads acquired for my Auteur OG. First impressions are pretty great!

The triple B strap is like night and day, much more supportive than my old OG strap.

I went with the Auteur Perf Hybrids pads, don't regret it at all so far.

Bass and low mids have much more space in the stage. The old stock pads always felt too intimate in the bass and now its much more accurate.
Everything else just seems more refined for now, plus the comfort is great!
pics please 😀

Apr 25, 2024 at 4:10 AM Post #8,282 of 8,327
Haven't had much time to listen to music this week, but I'm sitting down to listen again and had an interesting observation.

I think what I love most about the Auteur Classics is how natural and engaging they sound, immediately. When I owned the Hifiman Arya, also a great headphone, there was always a very pronounced feeling like the details were enhanced and the texture thinned when I first put them on. The effect would wear off the more I listened. Even the ZMF Verite Open, HD6XX, HD600, HD8XX, and OG Auteur all had this "adjustment" period upon first listening.

Not these. It's like going seamlessly from real life to "real life."

IMG_8676.jpeg
Couldn't agree more. For me the Auteur Classic was "love at first listen". I owned the the Aeolus, Auteur OG, Atticus, Eikon and VO and while all are exceptional headphones in their own right none of them hooked me as fast as the Auteur Classic did. Thanks to the Classic I'm now a "one headphone" guy and couldn't be happier. These are a perfect all-rounder for the kind of music I mostly listen to (classical, jazz, pop, rock, blues, folk, acoustic, orchestra/soundtrack,...). Here's a pic of my baby because why not :)

Attachments

• IMG_3983.jpg
    IMG_3983.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
Apr 25, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #8,283 of 8,327
Couldn't agree more. For me the Auteur Classic was "love at first listen". I owned the the Aeolus, Auteur OG, Atticus, Eikon and VO and while all are exceptional headphones in their own right none of them hooked me as fast as the Auteur Classic did. Thanks to the Classic I'm now a "one headphone" guy and couldn't be happier. These are a perfect all-rounder for the kind of music I mostly listen to (classical, jazz, pop, rock, blues, folk, acoustic, orchestra/soundtrack,...). Here's a pic of my baby because why not :)

I was just thinking yesterday that if I could only have one headphone I could happily live with the AuC

Apr 25, 2024 at 9:53 AM Post #8,284 of 8,327

You think the Auteur Classic is better than the Auteur OG? Also in comparison what did you think of the Verite Open. There is both an open and closed Verite for sale on CAM right now. I have the Bokeh right now.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:27 AM Post #8,285 of 8,327
You think the Auteur Classic is better than the Auteur OG?*** Also in comparison what did you think of the Verite Open. There is both an open and closed Verite for sale on CAM right now. I have the Bokeh right now.
*** Auteur Classic and Auteur OG each has its own special mix of virtues: the layering of Atrium, a tactile midrange magic for example. Is Classic "better" than OG? In the absolute, no one can say. Is Classic preferable to OG? Possibly for you ...

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #8,286 of 8,327
You think the Auteur Classic is better than the Auteur OG? Also in comparison what did you think of the Verite Open. There is both an open and closed Verite for sale on CAM right now. I have the Bokeh right now.
*** Auteur Classic and Auteur OG each has its own special mix of virtues: the layering of Atrium, a tactile midrange magic for example. Is Classic "better" than OG? In the absolute, no one can say. Is Classic preferable to OG? Possibly for you ...
What he said re OG vs Classic 👍

The VO is definitely quite a faster & more detailed heapdhone but when it comes to timbre and tuning I prefer the AuC. To me the AuC strikes a perfect balance between good technicalities and natural timbre/tuning.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:41 AM Post #8,287 of 8,327
Has anyone with an Auteur bought a Bokeh and the Boekh is now essentially replacing their Auteur?

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #8,289 of 8,327
The Bokeh isn't replacing the Auteur. I believe Zach's intent was to have the Bokeh replace the Atticus, but I could be mistaken. But definitely not an Auteur replacement.
Roger that and i figured as much from ZMF's sales perspective. I was wondering if any hobbyists have both, and are now grabbing their auteur way less because they have the bokeh.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:53 AM Post #8,290 of 8,327
Auteur Classic is a better headphone technically (better detail, soundstage, layering), but there is a magic to tuning of the OG Auteur. The mids have a creaminess and intensity at the same time that’s hard to put into words. The Auteur Classic is much more neutral and natural, and that’s where its magic lies.

Apr 25, 2024 at 11:58 AM Post #8,291 of 8,327
Roger that and i figured as much from ZMF's sales perspective. I was wondering if any hobbyists have both, and are now grabbing their auteur way less because they have the bokeh.
Ah I missed that perspective, sorry! I could definitely see the Bokeh supplanting the Auteur for head time by users who own both. It's just plain fun to listen to. And for those coming from the Auteur, it's added bass and musicality could draw them away. That being said the Auteur is IMO the most non-ZMF sounding of the ZMF lineup, and unique for it. It's the most neutral, so it's use case will probably be different than the Bokeh. I sold my Auteur because I'm dumb, and will be getting another soon (hopefully a mango). I used the Auteur for specific genres when I had it, genres the Bokeh is good with but not as great as the Auteur. I love folk/jazz/vocalist tracks on the Auteur best. The Bokeh for me is the rock/metal/blues guitar king.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:00 PM Post #8,292 of 8,327
Has anyone with an Auteur bought a Bokeh and the Boekh is now essentially replacing their Auteur?
I've got both and the Bokeh doesn't really replace the Auteur for me - Bokeh is a great all-rounder but I think the Auteur is a better all-rounder. Bokeh is warmer, more bassy and fun and the Auteur is more Neutral, and has better details/stage/imaging. Depending on what you want either could be your one-and-done headphone, but they aren't so similar they step on each others toes or make the other obsolete imo.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #8,293 of 8,327
You can use the Bokeh Pads with the Auteur Classic, i am just checking right now😉

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #8,294 of 8,327
I've got both and the Bokeh doesn't really replace the Auteur for me - Bokeh is a great all-rounder but I think the Auteur is a better all-rounder. Bokeh is warmer, more bassy and fun and the Auteur is more Neutral, and has better details/stage/imaging. Depending on what you want either could be your one-and-done headphone, but they aren't so similar they step on each others toes or make the other obsolete imo.
I honestly think the Bokeh/Auteur combo is probably the best complimentary sets you can have. You get the bassiest, arguably most musical ZMF in the Bokeh, and the most neutral and natural sounding in the Auteur.

Apr 25, 2024 at 12:10 PM Post #8,295 of 8,327
I honestly think the Bokeh/Auteur combo is probably the best complimentary sets you can have. You get the bassiest, arguably most musical ZMF in the Bokeh, and the most neutral and natural sounding in the Auteur.
The [somewhat] logical part of my brain says that if I pared down to two ZMFs, it should be my Caldera and Bokeh as they really seem like opposite ends of the ZMF spectrum. But I love the Auteur Classic and it sits between them when I want best of both worlds.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back