ZMF Auteur Thread
May 7, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #8,341 of 8,390
And I’ve been going back and forth whether or not to try the HE1000 Stealth as a complement to my Auteurs (instead of the 8XX) 😂 I love the 8XX’s for that expansive stage, but sometimes I do with for a more engaging sound and deeper bass.
HiFiMan offers a 30 day return policy, if you decide not to keep them..just saying :wink:.

FWIW, I haven't heard the 8XX (but I've heard the HD800 and 800S) and I personally think the HE1000 Stealth is in a different league all together. Maybe if you listen to mostly orchestral, then the HD800 line makes sense. The HE1000 can rattle your head on the right tracks, it gets super deep, but at the same time the bass is super tight and well controlled.

May 7, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #8,342 of 8,390
HiFiMan offers a 30 day return policy, if you decide not to keep them..just saying :wink:.

FWIW, I haven't heard the 8XX (but I've heard the HD800 and 800S) and I personally think the HE1000 Stealth is in a different league all together. Maybe if you listen to mostly orchestral, then the HD800 line makes sense. The HE1000 can rattle your head on the right tracks, it gets super deep, but at the same time the bass is super tight and well controlled.
Thanks. My main concern is how it’ll get along with my Pendant and solid state amp. Both have relatively high output impedance (the Pendant obviously more so).

May 7, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #8,343 of 8,390
Question for you Auteur owners: What is a reasonable price for a used pair of OG Auteur? The reason I ask is because I've been getting some serious lowball offers. I don't know if it's just the lowball nature of dealing with potential buyers.

May 7, 2024 at 5:03 PM Post #8,344 of 8,390
Question for you Auteur owners: What is a reasonable price for a used pair of OG Auteur? The reason I ask is because I've been getting some serious lowball offers. I don't know if it's just the lowball nature of dealing with potential buyers.
Depends on the cups and condition. If you have a standard wood like teak, in good condition, i'd say 900 is fair (albiet a tad lower than i'd like myself, but seems to be where the market is at now). For the more exotic woods and resins/stabilized i'd say 1100-1200ish. Unfortunately with the newer models popping right now the older units like Atticus/Autuer have devalued a bit more than expected, i'm noticing. I have two Atticus' and want to sell one. But with them going for as little as 600ish I'd rather just sit on it, i'm too emotionally attached to dump it for so little.

May 7, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #8,345 of 8,390
Depends on the cups and condition. If you have a standard wood like teak, in good condition, i'd say 900 is fair (albiet a tad lower than i'd like myself, but seems to be where the market is at now). For the more exotic woods and resins/stabilized i'd say 1100-1200ish. Unfortunately with the newer models popping right now the older units like Atticus/Autuer have devalued a bit more than expected, i'm noticing. I have two Atticus' and want to sell one. But with them going for as little as 600ish I'd rather just sit on it, i'm too emotionally attached to dump it for so little.
Thanks, this is reassuring. I was starting to question myself that I've priced them too high, but they're near mint and it sounds like my pricing is fair. The bottom line for me- They are fantastic headphones, but I don't reach for them as much as others. I could totally just keep them or give them to one of my sons for their college dorm hifi set ups.

May 7, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #8,346 of 8,390
Thanks, this is reassuring. I was starting to question myself that I've priced them too high, but they're near mint and it sounds like my pricing is fair. The bottom line for me- They are fantastic headphones, but I don't reach for them as much as others. I could totally just keep them or give them to one of my sons for their college dorm hifi set ups.
I just checked out your listing, those are very fairly priced IMO. They're immaculate looking. And honestly you don't see the teak units often anymore, so there's some exclusivity to that now. I'd just keep refreshing the listing, hopefully someone will wake up and snap those up soon. It's a great deal.

May 7, 2024 at 5:47 PM Post #8,347 of 8,390
..... keep them. After a period of dormancy, they may be rediscovered by you to great effect 😀!!

May 7, 2024 at 6:04 PM Post #8,348 of 8,390
..... keep them. After a period of dormancy, they may be rediscovered by you to great effect 😀!!
I might have no choice :beyersmile:!! I have to keep turning away the low-ballers.

May 7, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #8,350 of 8,390
Seems like there's zero demand for the Auteur OG. I had mine listed (limited zebrawood with rosegold and magnesium chasis) for $1050 and I had no takers. At that point I decided to keep them and honestly, they're a good compliment to my other headphones. A nice, smooth, mid-forward presentation with good dynamics and fun factor.

May 7, 2024 at 8:19 PM Post #8,351 of 8,390
Seems like there's zero demand for the Auteur OG. I had mine listed (limited zebrawood with rosegold and magnesium chasis) for $1050 and I had no takers. At that point I decided to keep them and honestly, they're a good compliment to my other headphones. A nice, smooth, mid-forward presentation with good dynamics and fun factor.
Yeah, this seems to be the case. I didn't realize yours never sold! They're beautiful.

Most people into ZMF's here (I'm guessing) are either lusting after the new stuff coming out (Bokeh on the low end or Caldera on the high end) or are saving their money for stabilized sets. But there's no denying the magic of the OG Auteurs. Maybe one day they'll become a collector's item!

May 7, 2024 at 10:09 PM Post #8,352 of 8,390
Last edited:
May 7, 2024 at 10:12 PM Post #8,353 of 8,390
Yeah, this seems to be the case. I didn't realize yours never sold! They're beautiful.

Most people into ZMF's here (I'm guessing) are either lusting after the new stuff coming out (Bokeh on the low end or Caldera on the high end) or are saving their money for stabilized sets. But there's no denying the magic of the OG Auteurs. Maybe one day they'll become a collector's item!
They are to me: I have two & both are regularly used!

May 7, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #8,354 of 8,390
I’ve almost sold my super-rare Manchurian Ash OG Auteurs on multiple occasions, but I can never quite bring myself to do it. They’re amazing to look at and sonically they still hold up, even against my high-end newer acquisitions.

The real question for me these days is whether or not to convert them to Classics. Now that I have another ZMF in the stable (Atrium Closed), I think I’ll probably keep them in their original form. They sound great to me as is, so my Head-Fi expenditures are likely better spent elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back