ZMF Auteur vs Fostex TH-909
Feb 24, 2021 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Vercingetirex

Head-Fier
I'm looking at both of these headphones for my potential all-rounder. Since they area similarly priced as well.
Was wondering if anyone has owned both and can do some comparisons between these two? Detail retrieval, tonal balance, etc.

Thanks

Apr 11, 2021 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 13
I am considering both too. Based on what Ive read, looks like the Fostex may have a little more energetic top end. If i were just looking at an all rounder probably the ZMF is a better choice, but it all depends what you are looking for. This hobby is crazy we can get into rabbit holes LOL

Apr 11, 2021 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 13
I actually tried the 909 and was disappointed. Will be trying the Autuers soon too, not expecting much better to be honest. I feel you are paying more for the boutique uniqueness rather than the actual sound. Also the both share bio-cellulose drivers, so more or less the same technical capabilities.
I really wish AUdeze were not so flipping heavy or I would have kept them as I did enjoy the planar sound.

Apr 11, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #6 of 13
I actually tried the 909 and was disappointed. Will be trying the Autuers soon too, not expecting much better to be honest. I feel you are paying more for the boutique uniqueness rather than the actual sound. Also the both share bio-cellulose drivers, so more or less the same technical capabilities.
I really wish AUdeze were not so flipping heavy or I would have kept them as I did enjoy the planar sound.
I agree they are both biocelluose drivers but vastly different in manufacturer and impedance. Auteurs are 300ohm were as fostex are 25ohm. I still have yet to hear a 900 or 909, but the auteur I have heard and love the smooth warm neutral nature of the headphone. It reminds me of my 6XX in the way I can turn up the dial on my amp and never hear any harshness (Auteur has way more low end then the 6XX). The Auteur is similar to the 6XX in my ears except less forward mids possible such as male vocals are not as in my head sounding, the auteur is slightly stepped back but they sound very natural as if I was in the room with the artist.

Apr 11, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #7 of 13
I agree they are both biocelluose drivers but vastly different in manufacturer and impedance. Auteurs are 300ohm were as fostex are 25ohm. I still have yet to hear a 900 or 909, but the auteur I have heard and love the smooth warm neutral nature of the headphone. It reminds me of my 6XX in the way I can turn up the dial on my amp and never hear any harshness (Auteur has way more low end then the 6XX). The Auteur is similar to the 6XX in my ears except less forward mids possible such as male vocals are not as in my head sounding, the auteur is slightly stepped back but they sound very natural as if I was in the room with the artist.
Thanks sounds like my cup of tea

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #9 of 13
I haven't tried the Auteurs but I do have both the Verite Closed and Aeolus. One thing to note about ZMF headphones are the earpads, they do change the signature in a noticeable way. I think there is even a chart on their website. Overall, they're an enjoyable listen and a definite work of art. :)

For the Fostex 909, I see that you've returned them. I have a pair and they are the oddest headphones in my collection as THEY ARE SO #%$#$ AMP DEPENDENT! They drove me mad, how does these sound good/better through an iFI Micro iDSD BL or a PS5 controller than a Chord TT2/Mscaler stack? With more searching, it was because of their low impedance, they do not pair well with many of the popular amps. I've plugged these into everything I have and was surprised with the outcomes. They're still with me, but they're like a crazy but hot GF. :beyersmile:

Good luck in your search! :)

Apr 12, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #10 of 13
As a point of clarification. ZMF headphones are audiophile level headphones. The cool wood is icing on the cake. But make no mistake this isn't a style over substance thing going on here. It's all substance AND style to boot.
+1

Apr 27, 2021 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 13
I was not blown away when I auditioned the 909. I did love the Autuer when I owned it but sold it when I bought a Verite. I definately recommend ZMF of the two.

Apr 23, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #12 of 13
I have both. First bought the Auteurs which are as everyone above has described them, smooth as silk and so well made. That being said I was curious about adding a headphone with some punch and bass. Kind of the Ying to the ZMF Yang. Found a great deal on the Fostex and they are very cool to listen to with the right types of music. Studio rock albums really sound great with these cans.

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:12 AM Post #13 of 13
Some clarification would help people give you the right advice. What didn't you like about them? What was the chain you were running them on? Were they good with one type of music for you but not others? Things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back