ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
Mar 22, 2024 at 11:24 AM Post #2,041 of 2,462
Any proud new Bokeh owners able to compare to Focal Celestee? I use them for travel and daily wear in non-open-back situations and quite like them. I wonder if these would be better…
I used to have the Celestee, and found it sonically similar to the Elegia with Dekoni lambskin pads, which I currently own. They're very different sounding headphones to the Bokeh. The Focals are brighter, thinner, and clearer. Much more neutrally tuned vs the Bokeh. The Bokeh is warmer, thicker, significantly bassier, and overall just a more engaging headphone. That's assuming you like warm/bassy. I find the Bokeh the more enjoyable headphone by a huge margin. I've tried listening to the Elegia a few times since getting the Bokeh and AC, and i barely get a track in and swap out to the Bokeh or another of my ZMFs or Sennheisers. I'll be selling it soon, I know i won't listen to it anymore. The Bokeh though is dominating my listening time along with the AC.

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #2,042 of 2,462
Curious, how is the noise floor with the Tube Mini and Bokeh?

It's noticeable but isn't a dealbreaker, especially with the amount of power and tube-y goodness it gives. I have tinnitus too, so that kind of balances out any floor (lol)

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:27 AM Post #2,043 of 2,462
Really liking that I can use the bokeh with so many sources and amps. Very flexible headphone in its use case

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:43 AM Post #2,044 of 2,462
Switched over from hugo2>wa8 to just a questyle m15 dongle out of my phone. Bokeh still sounds great. Definitely scales with better gear though.
I was also just listening to the Bokeh with a M15 dongle out of a phone. As great as the RU7 is, I actually slightly prefer the M15 with the Bokeh. It's a little brighter and livelier, which for me synergizes better with the Bokeh for my tastes.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #2,045 of 2,462
I can't go mad on a valve amp, but the Cayin HA-3A and Feliks Elise are possible and I can audition them back to back easily.
Might also check out Woo Audio WA2…

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:21 PM Post #2,046 of 2,462
I used to have the Celestee, and found it sonically similar to the Elegia with Dekoni lambskin pads, which I currently own. They're very different sounding headphones to the Bokeh. The Focals are brighter, thinner, and clearer. Much more neutrally tuned vs the Bokeh. The Bokeh is warmer, thicker, significantly bassier, and overall just a more engaging headphone. That's assuming you like warm/bassy. I find the Bokeh the more enjoyable headphone by a huge margin. I've tried listening to the Elegia a few times since getting the Bokeh and AC, and i barely get a track in and swap out to the Bokeh or another of my ZMFs or Sennheisers. I'll be selling it soon, I know i won't listen to it anymore. The Bokeh though is dominating my listening time along with the AC.
Thanks for the thoughts on this! Kind of what I was thinking… seems like how the Clear doesn’t get a ton of play since the Atrium showed up…

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #2,047 of 2,462
It's also a testament to how good the Bokeh are, when people with different preferences still both enjoy them.
I agree!

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #2,048 of 2,462
I just can't make a decision. I have AC, my favorite headphones. I should get Caldera Open very soon and will definitely buy CC (when they do). Do I need Bokeh? :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:
Yes

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:42 PM Post #2,052 of 2,462
Thanks for the thoughts on this! Kind of what I was thinking… seems like how the Clear doesn’t get a ton of play since the Atrium showed up…
Yeah I sold my OG clear when the AO arrived. I just like warmer tuning in general, which is a staple of the ZMF house sound, so the Clear never really had a chance haha.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:51 PM Post #2,053 of 2,462
Mar 22, 2024 at 2:09 PM Post #2,055 of 2,462
Nice sublime track I'm enjoying with the Bokeh and my other ZMFs.

Enjoying the vocal duet with the classical guitar...

@LCMusicLover ...Sharon's singing, wow!

and live version:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back