ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
May 10, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #2,371 of 2,456
My kids have the best headphone life ever. #childofanaudiophile
Lol, right?

My little guy is in 2nd grade and needed to get headphones for school. My wife just went on Amazon, but I had to resist the urge to recommend something of high audio quality. Perhaps some bokeh in his class?

May 11, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #2,372 of 2,456
Hi. Maybe it has been discussed before but how the hell should I roll pads with this headphone without losing my mind. It's like they used the same pads which they're using with the other ZMF Lineup, problem is the Bokeh cups are bigger. I had the Verite and it was no problem but with the Bokeh it's horrible. I am always afraid of breaking the stitching or slipping off and damage something else on the headphone. Really bad experience. Sorry for bothering you guys but I just don't get why it's that much more difficult on the Bokeh than on the other ZMF headphones.

May 11, 2024 at 11:46 AM Post #2,373 of 2,456
Hi. Maybe it has been discussed before but how the hell should I roll pads with this headphone without losing my mind. It's like they used the same pads which they're using with the other ZMF Lineup, problem is the Bokeh cups are bigger. I had the Verite and it was no problem but with the Bokeh it's horrible. I am always afraid of breaking the stitching or slipping off and damage something else on the headphone. Really bad experience. Sorry for bothering you guys but I just don't get why it's that much more difficult on the Bokeh than on the other ZMF headphones.
You pretty much said it yourself - it's more difficult because the pads are the same shape but the Bokeh is a longer oval cup. I think the key is to realize the sleeve and the stitching around it is robust and can handle some more assertive stretching to make it fit.

May 11, 2024 at 11:56 AM Post #2,374 of 2,456
Has anyone compared the Atrium Closed and the Bokeh side by side?

I'm looking for a closed back to compliment my Auteur Classic, since that's a great relaxing headphone. I want something bassy and fun when I want to listen to some pop/hip-hop.

I'm sure the AC are better "technically" but if I'm not looking for maximum detail and technicalities, I'm thinking the Bokeh may suit what I'm looking for?

May 11, 2024 at 11:59 AM Post #2,375 of 2,456

I'm looking for a closed back to compliment my Auteur Classic, since that's a great relaxing headphone. I want something bassy and fun when I want to listen to some pop/hip-hop.

I'm sure the AC are better "technically" but if I'm not looking for maximum detail and technicalities, I'm thinking the Bokeh may suit what I'm looking for?
In my opinion it comes down to budget, how much you want to spend. The Bokeh is an absolutely fantastic deal for the money, but technicalities aside the Atrium still offers a more natural, even more lifelike listening experience.

May 11, 2024 at 12:11 PM Post #2,376 of 2,456

Bokeh is a good complement to the Auteur Classic if you're looking for a closed back, but as Betula said it comes down to how much you want to spend and how much you value the technical aspects.

I'm still very much on the fence as to whether I still want to pursue an Atrium Closed. When I'm listening to the Bokeh it just makes me not sweat the technical stuff and I get wrapped up in the music.

May 11, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #2,377 of 2,456
Step 1: Cultivate a zen-like state of mind. Become one with the pads.

Step 2: Pour yourself a generous helping of Woodford Reserve on the rocks (Macallan also works)…

May 11, 2024 at 4:45 PM Post #2,378 of 2,456
Brute force, and determination. Get pumped up. Perhaps ask your beloved to slap your face a couple of times like the trainer does to the boxer right before a match.
Joke aside, that stitching is actually a lot stronger than you think. You can really go for it.
Pad swapping is significantly more difficult on the Bokeh due to the oval shape, but the same way you got better on other ZMF headphones, it is possible to improve with the Bokeh pad swap too. My trick so far is that instead of one finger like on the Caldera, I use two fingers on the Bokeh about an inch apart to hold the stitching in place, while I am stretching the rest of the pad onto the ring.

May 11, 2024 at 5:00 PM Post #2,380 of 2,456
My trick is to press the cup flat against the table so it also over hangs a little over the edge of the table.

While pressing down on the cup holds the pad in place, you use your finger where the cup is overhanging to guide the lip of pad into the groove.

The good thing is after you have the pads on for a while the lip of the pad stretches out. After they stretch out, they are super easy to put back on.

Of course, there could be a downside to the lips stretching out if you plan to use the pads on other ZMFs. If the lip stretches out, will they fit on other ZMFs.

May 11, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #2,381 of 2,456
I've been wondering @betula , what are your thoughts so far on the bokeh?
I have been spending most of my free time with the demo Caldera closed these days, I have just published that review today. I find the Bokeh very nice so far, an excellent entry point into the unique world of organic ZMF sound. Great value and certainly a distinctive offering at its price range; there is nothing like the Bokeh in its direct competition of similarly priced headphones. A unique sound, that sure will attract buyers. The technical compromises compared to higher-end ZMF models are there, but that is expected. Still, a wonderful tuning, great tonality and engaging listen for the price. I would say, Bokeh is the ZMF gateway drug. Once you try it, you will want more, and soon you'll find yourself saving up thousands for your next ZMF pair. :)

May 11, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #2,382 of 2,456
I would say, Bokeh is the ZMF gateway drug. Once you try it, you will want more, and soon you'll find yourself saving up thousands for your next ZMF pair. :)
Yes, I agree. However I started with Fostex biodynamics as a gateway and my first ZMF was an Aeolus. The Bokeh is a great bang for the buck, very compatible with a range of amps/DAPS, and better than Fostex IMO in that price range.
I used to think "Pffft! Why should I spend more than $1K on HP's?" and now here I am with a half-dozen ZMFs 🤷‍♂️

May 11, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #2,383 of 2,456
Yes, I agree. However I started with Fostex biodynamics as a gateway and my first ZMF was an Aeolus. The Bokeh is a great bang for the buck, very compatible with a range of amps/DAPS, and better than Fostex IMO in that price range.
I used to think "Pffft! Why should I spend more than $1K on HP's?" and now here I am with a half-dozen ZMFs 🤷‍♂️
I would pick the Bokeh over any Fostex or Denon variants.

May 11, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #2,384 of 2,456
I would say, Bokeh is the ZMF gateway drug. Once you try it, you will want more, and soon you'll find yourself saving up thousands for your next ZMF pair. :)
Hear hear :L3000:

May 13, 2024 at 10:50 AM Post #2,385 of 2,456

I have both and agree with @betula - "In my opinion it comes down to budget, how much you want to spend. The Bokeh is an absolutely fantastic deal for the money, but technicalities aside the Atrium still offers a more natural, even more lifelike listening experience.". When I really sit down to listen and get that lifelike listening experience, I always reach for the ACs!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back