ZMF x JDS Labs Homage Amp
Dec 5, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #46 of 109
I'm really curious about the high impedance switch, any insights on how it affects the sound, possibly with a Verite or VC?
I've tested this on Atrium and VC when I first got the amp, and I could hardly tell the difference so far. I just tried again, but I'm still not hearing any reliable changes. I often read it changes the bass, but I'm not really hearing a bass difference between the two settings either. It could have something to do with my choice of genres this morning (mostly acoustic/orchestral). I'll have to try other genres later – but so far, I've heard very little discernible difference on bass, sound stage, texture, etc.

Dec 8, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #49 of 109
Thinking of picking up an Homage before the sale is over. Does anyone know if a Bifrost 2 OG Dac would be a good pairing with it?
I have switched out my BF2 with both the OG and 64 cards with the Homage when I first got it. My impression is that they're both good for different reasons.

My experience with the Homage is that it can come across as bright depending on the source. It's not harsh, but depending on the headphones and the EQ, it will really shine those treble regions. The OG generally has a warmer tonality at the cost of resolution and staging to my ears. When combined with a brighter amp like the Homage, it had good levels of synergy IMO.

The 2/64 card is more neutral than the OG (hence a bit brighter). It has a lot more resolution and staging, which the Homage really brings out. It was quite amazing to go back to the 2/64 after the OG, because the Homage's holographic sound is just really noticeable with the 2/64. However, I had to tone down some of the 6-9k regions on a couple headphones with it, because it was a bit much. Of course, that could simply be because I targeted my EQ originally for the OG card and haven't bothered to redo them yet.

Overall, I enjoy the 2/64 slightly more, but I still feel the OG is as good of a natural pairing with the Homage.

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:15 PM Post #50 of 109
I have switched out my BF2 with both the OG and 64 cards with the Homage when I first got it. My impression is that they're both good for different reasons.

My experience with the Homage is that it can come across as bright depending on the source. It's not harsh, but depending on the headphones and the EQ, it will really shine those treble regions. The OG generally has a warmer tonality at the cost of resolution and staging to my ears. When combined with a brighter amp like the Homage, it had good levels of synergy IMO.

The 2/64 card is more neutral than the OG (hence a bit brighter). It has a lot more resolution and staging, which the Homage really brings out. It was quite amazing to go back to the 2/64 after the OG, because the Homage's holographic sound is just really noticeable with the 2/64. However, I had to tone down some of the 6-9k regions on a couple headphones with it, because it was a bit much. Of course, that could simply be because I targeted my EQ originally for the OG card and haven't bothered to redo them yet.

Overall, I enjoy the 2/64 slightly more, but I still feel the OG is as good of a natural pairing with the Homage.
Thank you for the detailed impressions. It's most helpful. I have a Jotunheim 2 now so looking for an upgrade and a good SS Amp for when I don't feel like warming up my Tube AMP. Will be mostly using my Aeolus and a VO I recently purchased during ZMF November, but haven't received yet.

Dec 8, 2023 at 5:25 PM Post #51 of 109
Thank you for the detailed impressions. It's most helpful. I have a Jotunheim 2 now so looking for an upgrade and a good SS Amp for when I don't feel like warming up my Tube AMP. Will be mostly using my Aeolus and a VO I recently purchased during ZMF November, but haven't received yet.
I don't have either of those headphones, but I've found the VC and HD6xx to sound their best on the Homage out of all the SS amps I've tried them on. It's a clear upgrade from the Jot2 for my tastes.

Dec 9, 2023 at 6:10 PM Post #53 of 109
How do you like the Homage compared to your V222?
My Homage order has not shipped yet. I will definitely follow-up with a comparison :thumbsup:
I recently received my ZMF Caldera order and it is performing great on the Schiit Bifrost 2/64 to the V222.
As soon as the Homage arrives I'll use the Geshelli J2 DAC going to the Homage and report back.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:00 AM Post #54 of 109
For those with a Homage, am curious to see if your gain switch works the same way mine does. It seem that midline is the lowest gain. from there top position is high gain and low position is mid gain.

so
top position: 4.3x
mid position: 1.0x
Low position: 1.75x

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:05 AM Post #55 of 109
For those with a Homage, am curious to see if your gain switch works the same way mine does. It seem that midline is the lowest gain. from there top position is high gain and low position is mid gain.

so
This is also how mine works and I confirmed with ZMF Support that this is correct.

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:18 AM Post #56 of 109
This is also how mine works and I confirmed with ZMF Support that this is correct.
Awesome thanks. Good to know. Was worried that something was wrong with mine :sweat_smile:

Dec 14, 2023 at 11:40 AM Post #57 of 109
My Homage order has not shipped yet. I will definitely follow-up with a comparison :thumbsup:
I recently received my ZMF Caldera order and it is performing great on the Schiit Bifrost 2/64 to the V222.
As soon as the Homage arrives I'll use the Geshelli J2 DAC going to the Homage and report back.
Thank you! That would be great. Trying to decide between these two AMPs.

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #59 of 109

so
I wish all amps did this. When switching from low to mid, it eliminates overshooting to high and damaging either your ears or sensitive headphones or IEMs. Of course turning down the volume before switching gain would do the same, but we don’t always do that, do we?

Dec 14, 2023 at 12:31 PM Post #60 of 109
I wish all amps did this. When switching from low to mid, it eliminates overshooting to high and damaging either your ears or sensitive headphones or IEMs. Of course turning down the volume before switching gain would do the same, but we don’t always do that, do we?
I'm fine with either way as I now actually remember to turn down the volume before switching gain (learned that lesson the hard way :sweat_smile:).

Just wish it was noted either as markings on the amp or documentation that came with the amp (I'm the sucker who loves to read manuals). Just so that we would know that its normal operation and saves the manufacturer from getting a bunch of emails from users stating that there's something wrong with the amp.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back