Looking for an all-in-one(or-two) DAC/Amp solution for SE and balanced headphones
May 17, 2024 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kubathebeast

New Head-Fier
First post!

I'd like to find sort of "all-in-one (or two)" DAC/Amp solution for my desk so I can play around with a variety of headphones/IEMs. My one desk has a Schiit Ragnarok 2 w/ DAC module, and that's a really nice for exactly this purpose, but was looking for something cheaper that doesn't also need to drive speakers. I was considering a Schiit Jotunheim w/ DAC module or a Schiit Midgard/Modius stack (if you can't tell, I'm a bit of a brand loyalist) but I would appreciate any other suggestions!

May 17, 2024 at 3:51 PM Post #2 of 13
I am enjoying my FiiO K7 out of Win11 > Tidal. Very good value for money. Drives my Meze and Audeze phones with authority! Worth researching.

May 17, 2024 at 3:56 PM Post #3 of 13
I am enjoying my FiiO K7 out of Win11 > Tidal. Very good value for money. Drives my Meze and Audeze phones with authority! Worth researching.
Thanks! K7 might not quite be for me (only a 4.4mm balanced jack and I *really* don't like RGB) but the K9 looks like it fits the bill!

May 17, 2024 at 5:31 PM Post #4 of 13
May 17, 2024 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 13
Thanks! K7 might not quite be for me (only a 4.4mm balanced jack and I *really* don't like RGB) but the K9 looks like it fits the bill!
The K7 has both 1/4" (with a 3.5mm adapter), and 4.4mm jacks. There is a software update that turns the RGB off.

The K9 AKM has much the same specs (but includes a Linear Power Supply). It also has the RGB sample rate lights. I like that the Blue and Yellow LEDs matches the LowRes/HiRes FLAC color on the Tidal screen :)

To me the K7 is better value for my money.

May 18, 2024 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 13
First post!

I'd like to find sort of "all-in-one (or two)" DAC/Amp solution for my desk so I can play around with a variety of headphones/IEMs. My one desk has a Schiit Ragnarok 2 w/ DAC module, and that's a really nice for exactly this purpose, but was looking for something cheaper that doesn't also need to drive speakers. I was considering a Schiit Jotunheim w/ DAC module or a Schiit Midgard/Modius stack (if you can't tell, I'm a bit of a brand loyalist) but I would appreciate any other suggestions!
Schiit’s budget components are an excellent place to start. If you want other options in the same price range also made in the US, check out stuff from Geshelli Labs and JDS Labs.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 13
Thanks both! I love Audio46 so I'll drop by when I'm back in town (my desk in NYC has the Ragnarok, I have a second home office elsewhere that I'm trying to upgrade).

May 18, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #8 of 13
Schiit’s budget components are an excellent place to start. If you want other options in the same price range also made in the US, check out stuff from Geshelli Labs and JDS Labs.
JDS has some really beautiful looking equipment, but unfortunately neither of these have both SE *and* balanced connections. I'll definitely check these out if I'm doing a little budget setup sometime.

May 18, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #9 of 13
I can second the ifi neo iDSD mentioned previously - its a pretty nice all in one in a reasonable sized format, it can even stand on its side for lower desk footprint. Another good all in one you might want to check out is the xDuoo XD05 Pro - really good all in one package and can double as something transportable if you need aswell :)

May 18, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #10 of 13
First post!

Hallo there.
I would suggest the Singxer SDA 2 - should be in the second hand market for not that much.
Another one is Hifiman Serenade.
Both were pleasant to listen via Denon AHD9200.

May 18, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #11 of 13
You could go portable and ultra-budget ($56 shipped to US) with VE Megatron, which has 3.5mm SE and 4.4mm balanced jacks and will play headphones from both simultaneously. It is USB-powered (no battery) and has no volume control, but lots of power. Not recommended for sensitive IEMs. You can find blog reviews in the listing and other reactions on Head-fi.

https://www.veclan.com/engappliance_sel_one?eng_ApplianceVo.eac_id=63

Last edited:
May 26, 2024 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 13
I am looking for a replacement to my Ifi Zendac V1 and the K7 seems to fit the bill except one major thing. It doesn't have a bass boost function and it really is sweet.

Would you be able describe how is the bass for the K7? Have you ever happened to make a comparison between the two?

The reason i am looking for the K7 is because it has more inputs so i can connect both my PC and TV via optical input and have a one in all unit for all devices i am using.

May 26, 2024 at 9:05 AM Post #13 of 13
First post!

Came here to say Rag 2 (especially now that it’s on sale) but you beat me to it. 🤣

Users who are viewing this thread

Back