THE COMPOSER OPEN BACK FLAGSHIP by AUSTRIAN AUDIO
Jun 1, 2024 at 12:40 AM Post #3,361 of 3,368
Well, that is topical! I don't think I can add anything of substance to what I've written, and my personal preferences are probably clear enough. But I do think the trade-offs between these two phones are complex - hard to quantify. I can readily imagine listeners coming to opposite conclusions about which is more satisfying. I really would listen to both if that's possible.
I wish we had headphones shops around.

Jun 1, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #3,362 of 3,368
I wish we had headphones shops around.
Yes, I know the feeling. I bought the Composer on spec - imported - as there are/were none in Australian stores. I've done this before - you win some, you lose some. Often there's a decent used market for up-to-date phones, of course - and I've sold a few in my time to recover some of the costs. In this case, I'm in two minds about keeping the Composer. I've had it for a while now, so my thoughts are reasonably clear. As I've written, I think it's very good - and quite different in terms of my usual preferred balance ... On the other hand, I'm not interested in collecting phones - keeping two is quite enough!

Jun 1, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #3,363 of 3,368
On the other hand, I'm not interested in collecting phones - keeping two is quite enough!
that’s quite a challenge… one I failed again and again :wink:
I have to admit that I like playing around with different headphones though

Jun 1, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #3,365 of 3,368
Well, I am deciding between the AKG K812 and Composer. I had the K812 before, and loved it on my old Lotoo Paw Gold. I traded AKG K812 and Lotoo Paw Gold for a mint Lotoo Paw Gold Touch. I love the Touch, but really miss how the K812 sounds on Lotoo. Ugh. I don't know what to do. I can get the K812 for $1,150 USD
I've heard the Composer and it is something special, reminds me of the Stax 009 with better deeper bass. I will say just buy it right away if you can afford and you will not be disappointed.

Jun 1, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #3,366 of 3,368
I've heard the Composer and it is something special, reminds me of the Stax 009 with better deeper bass. I will say just buy it right away if you can afford and you will not be disappointed.
I mean, you're not wrong - tonally they are kind of like a 009 with a very impressive bass presentation. Timbre is where I disagree. The HiFiMAN HE series and Stax 009 both have more clarity / resolution. The Composer is a quick DD driver, but it isn't as fast as the electrostatic and planar competitors.

The facelift Utopia, The Composer, SR007 / CRBN - you'd be set for a loooong time.

Jun 1, 2024 at 8:26 PM Post #3,367 of 3,368
I mean, you're not wrong - tonally they are kind of like a 009 with a very impressive bass presentation. Timbre is where I disagree. The HiFiMAN HE series and Stax 009 both have more clarity / resolution. The Composer is a quick DD driver, but it isn't as fast as the electrostatic and planar competitors.

The facelift Utopia, The Composer, SR007 / CRBN - you'd be set for a loooong time.
I'd like to offer another perspective. These phones undoubtedly have their supporters. I've owned them all (except the CRBN) and chose the K812. It's not my aim to convince anyone that any one phone is better than another, or that they should buy without listening. But, if I couldn't have the HD800S or ADX5000, I would choose the AKG again and take a holiday with the money I saved.

Last edited:
Jun 1, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #3,368 of 3,368
I'd like to offer another perspective. These phones undoubtedly have their supporters. I've owned them all (except the CRBN) and chose the K812. It's not my aim to convince anyone that any one phone is better than another, or that they should buy without listening. But, if I couldn't have the HD800S or ADX5000, I would choose the AKG again and take a holiday with the money I saved.
I am tempted to get the K812.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back