ZMF BOKEH - Closed Back (Semi-Portable)
May 30, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #2,476 of 2,488
Good choice! I hope you enjoy them.
Play around with pad and mesh combinations--it can make real a difference. After some tinkering, I landed on full titan mesh + suede universe pads, and now the Aeolus fit my preferred sound signature more than anything else I've heard. I'll never sell them.

May 31, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #2,479 of 2,488
Can I just say that the Bokeh sounds really great with classical music?

I don't know if any of you listen to classical music regularly, but it's been my experience that really, you need an open-back headphone for proper classical music listening. Open-back headphones make the timbre of strings and other instruments come alive in a way that they just can't with closed-backs. But the Bokeh handles classical really well, and to me, it is almost like a good open-back in that regard (and in some ways, superior, especially with bass). In either case, after my disappointment in the Sennheiser HD620S's ability to handle classical (it really just doesn't cut it for me), it was nice to come back to the Bokeh and be reminded that yes, there are closed-backs out there that work with classical. The Bokeh is the best "all-rounder" closed-back that I've heard in a while.

May 31, 2024 at 1:23 PM Post #2,480 of 2,488
After trying all three pad options and two meshes of the tuning kit, I came to the easy conclusion, that the stock offering is the best.
For me the choice was quicker and easier than with other ZMF headphones and tuning options.
The hybrid (stock) pads have the best balance. Bass is strong and focused enough, and treble is open and natural enough. Leather pads increase bass punch a bit, but take away too much air from the upper-mids/treble. Suede pads have lovely mids and treble, but kill bass performance.
Stock mesh has perfect balance. Solid mesh doesn't completely suffocate treble, the effect is slightly more subtle compared to the mantle mesh on the Caldera, still I feel it is unnecessary and takes away too much air/detail.
Stock configuration is an easy win for me with the Bokeh, while I prefer to tweak the Caldera open and closed a bit more compared to stock version (thick pads/no mesh with CO, black mesh and protein pads with CC).
Bokeh review to come in a few weeks.

May 31, 2024 at 4:34 PM Post #2,481 of 2,488
Play around with pad and mesh combinations--it can make real a difference. After some tinkering, I landed on full titan mesh + suede universe pads, and now the Aeolus fit my preferred sound signature more than anything else I've heard. I'll never sell them.
Not sure if you've tried them, but after years with the universe suede I switched to the Caldera suede ultra-perforated and there's no going back. Similar tonality, but just much more open sounding, such that they sound muffled when I go back to the Universe suede.

May 31, 2024 at 5:15 PM Post #2,483 of 2,488
Can I just say that the Bokeh sounds really great with classical music?

I don't know if any of you listen to classical music regularly, but it's been my experience that really, you need an open-back headphone for proper classical music listening. Open-back headphones make the timbre of strings and other instruments come alive in a way that they just can't with closed-backs. But the Bokeh handles classical really well, and to me, it is almost like a good open-back in that regard (and in some ways, superior, especially with bass). In either case, after my disappointment in the Sennheiser HD620S's ability to handle classical (it really just doesn't cut it for me), it was nice to come back to the Bokeh and be reminded that yes, there are closed-backs out there that work with classical. The Bokeh is the best "all-rounder" closed-back that I've heard in a while.
I agree as I listen to Classical Music about 70% of the time. The Bokeh’s are great. The ACs are phenominal!

May 31, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #2,484 of 2,488
I got a chance to hear bokeh and to be honest surprised by soundstage. Didn’t work with my genres and sounded a bit hollow. Tried atticus after, it was much better for my tracks and source. Later i tried Eikons, Calderas both open and closed. Ended up buying Eikons. For me it had most impact, isolation and access to the brand without spending 3K, tho calderas were clearly superior.

May 31, 2024 at 7:13 PM Post #2,485 of 2,488
Not sure if you've tried them, but after years with the universe suede I switched to the Caldera suede ultra-perforated and there's no going back. Similar tonality, but just much more open sounding, such that they sound muffled when I go back to the Universe suede.

You put Caldera suede ultra-perf pads on the Aeolus?

Jun 1, 2024 at 1:11 AM Post #2,486 of 2,488
Jun 1, 2024 at 2:58 AM Post #2,487 of 2,488
Hello! Has anyone else experienced this? I used Bokeh a lot, and after the burn-in, they sounded excellent. I then had a week or two break from listening. When I listen to them now after the break, they sound somehow muffled, the treble is kind of wishy-washy, the bass is somewhat muddy. They lack clarity and detail. Not at all as they sounded before the pause. Is this something to be expected? Do they need to be burned in again after a period of not using them? Same sources, no changes there.
For the treble (I'm 53), i removed the mesh completely and treble opens up to a new level!!

Jun 1, 2024 at 5:23 AM Post #2,488 of 2,488
For the treble (I'm 53), i removed the mesh completely and treble opens up to a new level!!
I tried this when I first got them, but it was a bit too much for me. I've left them over a few nights with some music and noise on now, and things are returning to normal. Perhaps it's an LCP driver thing—that it stiffens back up a bit if not used for a prolonged period. I'm just guessing; I don't know if that's possible. :) Either way, I'm glad this resolved itself, as I have never enjoyed a headphone as much as I do Bokeh. Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions and replies!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back