AXEL GRELL HEADPHONE
May 17, 2024 at 10:13 AM Post #631 of 754
That's one of the entire foundations of Dolby Atmos and other 3D/object/spatial audio technologies.

Which also makes sense if Axel is trying to go for "speaker-like" sound.
Yeah I never got this concept either. Makes no sense to me for music that is supposed to be like a band playing in front of you. But I can imagine interesting scenarios where it could be cool. Though I highly doubt this will work with just a stereo headphone and a stereo mix of music.

May 17, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #632 of 754
Yeah I never got this concept either. Makes no sense to me for music that is supposed to be like a band playing in front of you.
A good stereo speaker system can do that, or transport you to the hall ......
But I can imagine interesting scenarios where it could be cool. Though I highly doubt this will work with just a stereo headphone and a stereo mix of music.
......but a headphone, that's tough.....What I do get with headphones sometimes, especially with my current AKG K872, is the sensation of having a live feed of the recording, there's a sense of reality and air.
May not be as apparent for those who have never done live recordings as it is a very different experience and mindset than just listening to music.

May 17, 2024 at 4:57 PM Post #633 of 754
A good stereo speaker system can do that, or transport you to the hall ......

......but a headphone, that's tough.....What I do get with headphones sometimes, especially with my current AKG K872, is the sensation of having a live feed of the recording, there's a sense of reality and air.
May not be as apparent for those who have never done live recordings as it is a very different experience and mindset than just listening to music.
I have done live recordings, but only as a musician :p

May 18, 2024 at 3:12 AM Post #635 of 754
Some information I gathered from forums and a german review.

In audiosciencereview someone posted a FR graph of a flat genelec speaker when measured using B&K 4128 head and ear simulator. It has similar dips like the OAE-1 so I guess we have less to worry about

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...l-signature-edition.48343/page-4#post-1974550

I read a german review of the OAE -1 in heise.de the summary

The FR even though has dips and peaks sounds normal (they go on to explain the similar things discussed in ASR)
The bass is a bit too high but Dekoni pads will be available which will reduce the bass a bit.
The soundstage is very good, but HD800S Hifiman Arya have better soundstage ( a big bummer, was not expecting this, but I personally think that reducing the excess bass will improve the soundstage somewhat )

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #636 of 754
A little bummer cause I already own a hd800S lol but 99% headphones in the market have a smaller soundstage than the hd800 imo. Or I don’t remember there is any headphone which has normal sized drivers or drivers without holes gets a huge soundstage. The most bummer to me is the 38ohm specs, never heard a headphone having that low impedance got a defined sounding.

May 18, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #637 of 754
The most bummer to me is the 38ohm specs, never heard a headphone having that low impedance got a defined sounding.
... don't fixate on the nominal impedance per se. There exists a variety of low impedance (< 40 ohms) headphones that have a 'defined' (musically coherent and enjoyable) sound: Audeze LCD-X, Dan Clark Aeon, Grado RS-1x .... for starters. 🤷🏻‍♂️

May 18, 2024 at 9:56 AM Post #638 of 754
... don't fixate on the nominal impedance per se. There exists a variety of low impedance (< 40 ohms) headphones that have a 'defined' (musically coherent and enjoyable) sound: Audeze LCD-X, Dan Clark Aeon, Grado RS-1x .... for starters. 🤷🏻‍♂️
The only big drawback with the low impedance is that it’s not going to likely pair as well with OTL tube amps.

May 18, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #639 of 754
The only big drawback with the low impedance is that it’s not going to likely pair as well with OTL tube amps.

Very true. Even the Foster biodyna in the Denon/ Fostex line is very annoying to deal with with tubes since they have low impedance.

I've had some luck with OTC low gain and tube buffer like ifi itube to get the tube flavor with less background noise.

May 18, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #640 of 754
... some OTL tube h/p/a have low output impedance: for example -- Linear Tube Audio MZ2, MZ3, Velo; Schiit Audio Valhalla 2.

May 18, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #641 of 754
Yep

May 18, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #642 of 754
Very true. Even the Foster biodyna in the Denon/ Fostex line is very annoying to deal with with tubes since they have low impedance.

I've had some luck with OTC low gain and tube buffer like ifi itube to get the tube flavor with less background noise.
True, now that I think about it ZMF may be the only people making a high impedance biodynamic driver.

The Fostex TH909 did play nice with my Folkvangr though, so I’ll certainly give the Grell a shot with it when it comes in.

May 18, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #643 of 754
True, now that I think about it ZMF may be the only people making a high impedance biodynamic driver.

The Fostex TH909 did play nice with my Folkvangr though, so I’ll certainly give the Grell a shot with it when it comes in.

Yes I believe ZMF has the 300ohm biocellulose drivers and their own special line of amps

As well as Philiphone? They have the custom 300ohm in the Audio Technica air wing shell.

But like some of the above comments it's not a hard written rule

The "KING" R10 IIRC is 32ohm so XD

May 18, 2024 at 10:41 AM Post #644 of 754
... some OTL tube h/p/a have low output impedance: for example -- Linear Tube Audio MZ2, MZ3, Velo; Schiit Audio Valhalla 2.
I did briefly demo one of the LTA amps, the one that’s a combo electrostatic and regular headphone amp.

It was very clear but I don’t remember it sounding much like a typical tube amp. In fact the Holo Bliss next to it might have had more of what I associate with a tube sound than the LTA did.

Sparkos is making their Gemini Tube Hybrid that has a sort of unique feature where you can choose how hard the tube is driven in the circuit, so it can sound more tubey or more solid state based on your preference.

May 18, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #645 of 754
I did briefly demo one of the LTA amps, the one that’s a combo electrostatic and regular headphone amp.

It was very clear but I don’t remember it sounding much like a typical tube amp. In fact the Holo Bliss next to it might have had more of what I associate with a tube sound than the LTA did.

Sparkos is making their Gemini Tube Hybrid that has a sort of unique feature where you can choose how hard the tube is driven in the circuit, so it can sound more tubey or more solid state based on your preference.
The SparkoS Labs Gemini is a gem! With NOS (new old stock) tubes, it can be even more so!
IMG_7817.jpeg
[With Focal Clear OG: 55 ohms (fyi)]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back