[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
May 3, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #3,677 of 3,701
Hi Fiio, you have uploaded a latest update of the control application v3.22 to your website and it solves the filter problem but the Q factor error that fails at 0.53 continues. There is also another error that the equalizer is allowed to be configured when it is disabled, this does not happen in BTR7 as everything works perfectly without problems. Sincerely.

May 3, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #3,678 of 3,701
Yeah, I liken those adapters (4.4mm source to 3.5mm headphones/IEMs) to driving without a seatbelt. You may be fine, maybe nothing bad will happen, but it’s an increased risk. Why take the chance?
Wondering if any of you have tried FiiO KA5 with the cirrus logic dacs. I'm probably under minor differences and just spending time and money, but would like to test both equipments side by side.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 9:31 AM Post #3,680 of 3,701
Wondering if any of you have tried FiiO KA5 with the cirrus logic dacs. I'm probably under minor differences and just spending time and money, but would like to test both equipments side by side.
The KA5 is quite warmer sounding than the BTR15. If you are searching for another clean and transparent type of presentation, the KA5 simply isn't it. Plus, in a few months it will be replaced by the KA15, so I would personally advice against it.

May 9, 2024 at 3:20 AM Post #3,682 of 3,701
Having issues pairing my BTR15 to my laptop. Any ideas why, guys?
Never had issues.
Did you uncheck aptX/AAC from your BTR15 selected codecs?
You can try clear the pairing list of BTR15 first and try reconnect again.

How to clear pairing list:
1. Turn on BTR15.
2. Hold Vol+ & Vol- for 5s.

Or just reset BTR15.

May 9, 2024 at 3:27 AM Post #3,683 of 3,701
Never had issues.
Did you uncheck aptX/AAC from your BTR15 selected codecs?
You can try clear the pairing list of BTR15 first and try reconnect again.

How to clear pairing list:
1. Turn on BTR15.
2. Hold Vol+ & Vol- for 5s.

Or just reset BTR15.
Thanks for the reply, actually did not know there was a way to clear the paired devices, pretty useful.
Still getting the same problems, however. Was there any problem like this with firmware v2.2? Maybe it was fixed with v3.5?

Also, what's wrong with AAC if I may ask?

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #3,684 of 3,701
Thanks for the reply, actually did not know there was a way to clear the paired devices, pretty useful.
Still getting the same problems, however. Was there any problem like this with firmware v2.2? Maybe it was fixed with v3.5?

Also, what's wrong with AAC if I may ask?
I've been on v3.5 for months all is well.
There are some bugs (obviously, it's a firmware), like the Gain bug if you set L gain it will actually High gain, so you need to set to L gain everytime you turned on the DAC.
Or the PEQ bug.

I recommend to reset the BTR15 first, see if it works. Then update to firmware v3.5 if still have the issue.
Ideally update to the latest firmware. FiiO will soon release the new firmware update anyway.

If you uncheck aptX/AAC & the device you're trying to connect to don't have LDAC, you will connect only using SBC and have peasant sound in your phones/Windows 10/11/MacOS/iOS 😂. If you can't even connect with standard SBC bluetooth then something's wrong with the bluetooth in your laptop, gotta check that 😂

May 9, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #3,686 of 3,701
I only use iPhone so I guess AAC is best for me? Is SBC better?
Other than iPhone I use my android tv set, and laptop.
SBC is the most basic bluetooth audio codec and compatible for almost anything.
AAC is Apple's default, also available for Android & Windows 11.
aptX & other aptX variants widely used in Android & other devices.
LDAC is developed by Sony, it can deliver hi-res audio but compatibility is limited.

For newer bluetooth audio devices, should at least AAC/aptX capable.

May 12, 2024 at 6:27 AM Post #3,687 of 3,701
SBC is the most basic bluetooth audio codec and compatible for almost anything.
AAC is Apple's default, also available for Android & Windows 11.
aptX & other aptX variants widely used in Android & other devices.
LDAC is developed by Sony, it can deliver hi-res audio but compatibility is limited.

For newer bluetooth audio devices, should at least AAC/aptX capable.
Thanks! Did you say to not use AAC because it malfunctions with this device?

May 15, 2024 at 10:11 AM Post #3,688 of 3,701
So rather than iBasso DC04 Pro I've got Kuang Pai Plus4. What an upgrade! Sounds better in pretty much every aspect. Has a resolution BTR15 doesn't have and an instrument separation and imaging ahead of competition, especially in areas where the other dongles congest. Transparency among the best I've heard from a portable device. Treble extension as good as my Antelope Audio interface (unlike BTR15) with spectacular detail and refinement. Bass is tighter than BTR15, superior definition/texture. Here you don't just feel it, but hear every note, texture, harmonics, crystal clear slap bass, the sound of fingers running through the bass strings, etc. The lowermost details with the weight and force of the real instrument. You don't have this perception of a 3D print of the instrument with BTR15.

Taiwanese brand, just one review here on Head-Fi.

Sounds almost as good as Topping DX5 (400€).

Real upgrade over sub 200€ dongles and even above and beyond.

It's a very sophisticated equipment, in some areas in the same league of Topping. Micro-detailing and timbre are exceptional. The sound of leaves, birds and other nature elements is real. Percussive instruments, especially glass and metals, flutes, tuba and stuff like that, sound amazing. Let's say that BTR15 in comparison sounds a bit dry, dull, lifeless, not revealing those details with Plus4 accuracy and realism. Full of life (superior detail retrieval, separation and positioning of sounds in the 3D space). Drums for example, sound bigger, heavier, it's like if you have a perception of their volume and weight. You can't feel this with BTR15 at all. It's a totally different experience. Drums and bass are on another level. Found blue filter to be also responsible for that. Filters do not add more quantity, but more expression (and dynamic expression) to electric bass.

6 filters with 6 different sound signatures (with a neutral one). And all about noise reduction in every way possible, including a dual motherboard and independent power supply. BTW it has 4.4mm (balanced), 2.5mm (balanced) and 3.5mm single ended outputs.

BTR15 still has a space in my heart, sounds fantastic for 120€, it's very engaging, but Kuang Pai works better as a portable audio interface on the go, due to its sonic superiority, accuracy and flexibility with a more powerful amp, capable of driving headphones like HD800 with ease. Great discovery, I couldn't be more impressed.

You may be asking and what about soundstage? Same width as BTR15, but I think I can feel better depth. I'm not the greatest in depth perception, but I notice the space between layers is different. It creates more volume to the instruments, they're more 3D (shape/weight), full bodied, a greater sense of realism, of being there with the band. Also more analogue, BTR15 more digital. For example, sometimes FiiO presents alot of treble (maybe too much) that sounds digital, Plus4 renders it with a more analogue feel, subtlety and refinement. May be less in quantity, but better in quality. Does Plus4 sound warm like tube amps? No, but it's the best way I can describe it.

I didn't give iBasso DC04 Pro a chance, but I'm not going to after listening to Plus4. It's all I need.

Attachments

• kuang-pai-plus-4-jpg.jpg
    kuang-pai-plus-4-jpg.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #3,689 of 3,701
So rather than iBasso DC04 Pro I've got Kuang Pai Plus 4. What an upgrade! Sounds better in pretty much every aspect. Has a resolution BTR15 doesn't have and an instrument separation and imaging ahead of competition, in areas where the other dongles congest. Transparency among the best I've heard on a portable device. Treble extension as good as my Antelope Audio interface (unlike BTR15) with spectacular detail and refinement. Bass is tighter than BTR15, superior definition/texture. Here you don't just feel it, but hear every note, texture, harmonics, crystal clear slap bass, the sound of fingers running through the bass strings, etc. The lowermost details.

Taiwanese brand, just one review here on Head-Fi.

Sounds almost as good as Topping DX5 (400€).

Real upgrade over sub 200€ dongles and even above and beyond.

It's a very sophisticated equipment, in some areas in the same league of Topping. Micro-detailing and timbre are exceptional. The sound of leaves, birds and other nature elements sound real. Percussive instruments, flutes and stuff like that, sound amazing. Let's say that BTR15 in comparison sounds a bit dry, dull, lifeless, not revealing those details with Plus4 accuracy and realism. Full of life (superior detail retrieval, separation and positioning of sounds in the 3D space).

6 filters that also contribute for that with 6 different sound signatures. And all about noise reduction in every way possible, including a dual motherboard.

BTR15 still has a space in my heart, sounds fantastic for 120€, it's very engaging, but Kuang Pai works better as a portable audio interface on the go, due to its sonic superiority and flexibility with a more powerful amp, capable of driving headphones like HD800 with ease. Great discovery, I couldn't be more impressed. Price was 155€ on AE.

I didn't give iBasso DC04 Pro a chance, but I'm not going to after listening to Plus4. It's all I need.
What do you pair with the plus 4?

May 15, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #3,690 of 3,701
What do you pair with the plus 4?
Beyerdynamic Xelento. It's a great all rounder. Yet to find something that doesn't sound good with them.

I've got Plus4 used, seller bought it from AE, just had a look at AliExpress now and can't find any. I found their website, but don't think someone out of Taiwan can buy from there, but I may be wrong.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back