Fostex T50RP 50th Anniversary Edition
May 16, 2024 at 1:20 PM Post #407 of 422

Attachments

• Fog City Audio.jpg
    Fog City Audio.jpg
    601.3 KB · Views: 0
May 21, 2024 at 10:49 AM Post #408 of 422
Has anyone measured these yet? And/or listened to these side by side vs the MK3s?

T60RP drivers in a T50RP, at around T50RP prices sounds tempting.
Did anyone comment on the driver differences? Are Fostex getting confused in their marketing department? If I recall the T60rp driver was different to the T50rp Mk2 driver, but the driver in the Mk3 and the T60rp are the same as far as I know, i.e. thicker paper with the square hole instead of the overall thinner paper in the Mk2. Are Fostex lying or is there some other difference?

May 21, 2024 at 11:10 AM Post #409 of 422
IMG_1856.jpeg
^ Highs a tad peaky, bass a bit bloomy.

T50RP50th VS HD600.jpg
^ VS HD600 for reference

IMG_1857.jpeg
^ front-side vent foam seems like standard issue T50RPmk3 foam but I dont know

IMG_1859.jpeg
^ Inside the cups we have quality control unlike other variants. And cup damping.

IMG_1865.jpeg
^ mod1 = removing stock driver damping paper aka saying goodbye to resale value

T50RP50th VS mod1.jpg
^ mod1 VS stock
mod1 is tradeoffs for sure. Will continue modding then share impressions later.

Teaser: here is my T20RP mod frequency response in comparison which uses the same pads.:
T50RP50th mod1 VS T20RP mod.jpg
^ Id wager the reason for difference in frequency response is either due the difference in airflow of front-side vent foam (t20rp foam being less dense and allowing more airflow), and/or possibly difference in cup grill seal (t20rp is the "open" variant so less seal). This is assuming drivers are still the same old same old, will compare designations on drivers later...
Confused as to why you took off the damping paper. When I did that with my stock t50mk3 it totally destoyed the sound. I don't remember why now but it was awful to my ears. Was very glad I was able to stick it back on...

May 21, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #410 of 422
Confused as to why you took off the damping paper. When I did that with my stock t50mk3 it totally destoyed the sound. I don't remember why now but it was awful to my ears. Was very glad I was able to stick it back on...
Sup.

No worries. We all perceive and prefer differently.

What was so awful to you exactly?

Positives to me were improved frequency response and increased sensivity.

May 22, 2024 at 6:56 AM Post #411 of 422
Sup.

No worries. We all perceive and prefer differently.

What was so awful to you exactly?

Positives to me were improved frequency response and increased sensivity.
I can't remember exactly tbh. I sold those, but just did buy another t40 yesterday lol. I tried it because I read a few comments saying it would improve them, but I remember maybe it sounded sort of "thin" kind of tinny maybe. This was with a totally undamped cup though.

Am I right that the t50 50th has heavily damped cups with sound absorbing foam? Do you think the essentially makes them t40rps because the vent hole is blocked?

I am confused about this headphone as it also says it has the "t60rp driver" which as far as I know (I have t60rp and t50mk3 open in front of me before) the drivers are identical.

May 22, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #412 of 422
Do you think the essentially makes them t40rps because the vent hole is blocked?
The vents are actually not blocked in T50RP-50th.

the drivers are identical.
Correct. Marketing may be referring to the balanced wiring or perhaps higher quality control standards…

I tried it because I read a few comments saying it would improve them, but I remember maybe it sounded sort of "thin" kind of tinny maybe.
The effect I imagine would be less dramatic on certain models particularly T40 because the cups are already sealed. And other mk3 models are different because they use different porosity foam on the front-side for acoustic damping. Also, the driver rear-side paper filter may be just as much about tuning acoustic impedance but also contributing certain reflection (?). The driver rear-side paper filter has also been documented to have poor quality control on mk3, some times the paper filter is covered in glue making the filter more like an impermeable wall.

May 23, 2024 at 9:37 AM Post #413 of 422
The vents are actually not blocked in T50RP-50th.

Correct. Marketing may be referring to the balanced wiring or perhaps higher quality control standards…

The effect I imagine would be less dramatic on certain models particularly T40 because the cups are already sealed. And other mk3 models are different because they use different porosity foam on the front-side for acoustic damping. Also, the driver rear-side paper filter may be just as much about tuning acoustic impedance but also contributing certain reflection (?). The driver rear-side paper filter has also been documented to have poor quality control on mk3, some times the paper filter is covered in glue making the filter more like an impermeable wall.
Thank you for the interesting comments. It was the T50rpmk3 I had previously, and it did have a load of yellow glue on the driver paper, but I still thought it sounded better with it on. I ended up turning that set into an Open Alpha.

I thought the pictures I saw of the inside of the 50th anniversary on this thread were that it was heavily damped with acoustic foam, including over the vent ports - perhaps there was a gap I didn't see or this was something custom the owner did. I was hoping to mod my new T40rp into something close to the 50th anniversary if i can find out what exactly is inside them or perhaps close to some mad dogs. Will make them balanced with lumberg jacks for starters.

I already have the T60rp pads from my T60rp which have been Argonised. I also have some proper sticky backed acoustic foam which I was going to line the inside of the cups with. I was thinking of partially removing the vent covers to make them semi-open, (I'm unsure if say unblocking one port would make them like the T50, as opposed to all ports being covered by a thin felt like the t50 - what do you think?

I am unsure about adding in other blocks of acoustic foam to try and further block internal resonances, like the mayflower mod. To this day I have never seen inside an a t50 Argon or Mad-dog, so don't know what they look like. I am guessing acoustic foam, and some damping clay on the baffles. I think the mayflower mod may be pretty similar, although the dense foam on the baffle side around the driver on the mayflower i think gives really bloated bass (interesting as my t60 argon has the whole baffle closed off with very dense felt and something around the driver which i think blocks all ports/venting from inside the cup. Any ideas?

I am too frightened to open up my T60 argon as I've only had them a week and there is felt glued onto the baffle which I'm not sure I can reattach, and I'm not sure it would be helpful anyway because of the wood being so different to the thin plastic.

Thanks.

May 23, 2024 at 10:00 AM Post #414 of 422
Open Alpha
I did that too but ended up preferring stock enclosure by small margin.

including over the vent ports
If youre talking about driver baffle vent ports then youre talking about mk2 as they are non-existent on mk3... mk3 uses an updated venting system which I prefer, its the same system Foster uses in all their hi-fi biocellulose headphones (TH-X00 series). If youre talking about cup vents they yes they are covered but seemingly by the same porous felt used in regular T50RP which makes little to no difference ime*...

*I think the big difference between T20RPmk3 and T50RPmk3 is not cup vents but actually the front-side vent foam (in front of driver, underneath pads) with the “open” T20RPmk3 having much more open/breathable foam allowing greater venting which is preferable imo. fyi, T60RP front-side foam is even more open/breathable than T20RP, but its been so long since had T60RP so cant say preference.

I was hoping to mod my new T40rp into something close to the 50th anniversary if i can find out what exactly is inside them
Ill sell you mine (has driver paper filter removed). I just want to keep the leather support band to use with mk4. I was going to list on classifieds for around $75shipped.

This thread has a bunch of measures you might find interesting for relative comparisons.

May 23, 2024 at 11:32 AM Post #415 of 422
I did that too but ended up preferring stock enclosure by small margin.

If youre talking about driver baffle vent ports then youre talking about mk2 as they are non-existent on mk3... mk3 uses an updated venting system which I prefer, its the same system Foster uses in all their hi-fi biocellulose headphones (TH-X00 series). If youre talking about cup vents they yes they are covered but seemingly by the same porous felt used in regular T50RP which makes little to no difference ime*...

*I think the big difference between T20RPmk3 and T50RPmk3 is not cup vents but actually the front-side vent foam (in front of driver, underneath pads) with the “open” T20RPmk3 having much more open/breathable foam allowing greater venting which is preferable imo. fyi, T60RP front-side foam is even more open/breathable than T20RP, but its been so long since had T60RP so cant say preference.

Ill sell you mine (has driver paper filter removed). I just want to keep the leather support band to use with mk4. I was going to list on classifieds for around $75shipped.

This thread has a bunch of measures you might find interesting for relative comparisons.
Thanks for the replies and link. Wow I didn't know there was going to be a Mk4! Interesting!

I was looking at the Old Mad dogs and I found a german website that showed all the pictures from inside here: http://www.hifi-forum.de/viewthread-211-677.html

What's interesting is that the mods are very simple and pretty much identical to the open alpha - paxmate, some wool, seal between baffle and cup, and a piece of thick felt around the front side of the driver. Pretty much exactly what I remember when making my open alpha. Although it has a square of felt on the back of the driver. Looks like Mr Speakers never really evolved his designs that much!

I just did a little bit of examination of my t60 argon and notice that it too looks to be pretty much fully sealed on the front, so the front side baffle vents are all plugged up. with some kind of rubbery epoxy, and multiple layers of different thickness of felt so there will be no resonance with the plastic at all. I imagine the inside of the cup is damped as well. I wonder what they did to the driver if anything.....

Yes the original T60 has very thin rings baffle, indicating a lot of venting. Weird that the Argon has the opposite, pretty much closed like the Mad dogs and open alpha, basically undoing all of Fostex's designs around the new vented baffle.

The foam on my T40 is pretty firm. If I recall it is firmer than my old T50rpmk3, but not quite as firm as the mayflower which are essentially just rubber. All very interesting.

I was looking at the old open alpha thread and you replied to a few of my messages on there :wink:

Will PM you.

May 23, 2024 at 4:35 PM Post #416 of 422
Stop what you're doing.. FOG CITY

T50RP50thAnniversaryMogami_1024x1024.jpg
Really wanted to thank you for posting this. Picked up my T50/50s (#369 reporting in btw) in September and while I absolutely adore them, the cable situation has been a real struggle since I cannot stand the stock cables. Reached out to Hart early on with no luck, and tried a few, lets say...creative solutions but none were perfect. When all was said and done unfortunately the headphones ended up languishing mostly unused since October. Got the Fog City cable in and its perfect. Really glad to finally get to enjoy these headphones uncompromised, been enjoying them all week and they're just such a delightful addition to my little T50 collection.

May 28, 2024 at 5:48 PM Post #417 of 422
Hello : )

I have read this thread and now I have made an account here so that I can selfishly ask for advice. I have pair number 51/1000 under my care since a few months ago. I'll also try to add my thoughts/opinions on these somewhat unique headphones in here for others looking for or otherwise interested such things. IDK why I impulse bought them partly on aesthetic which is unlike me, I really just wanted some nice classic Senns like I used to have. First time I put them on, I could tell there was some magic there. After a few weeks with them I thought the cable was a PITA, and they were kind of uncomfortable, and the sound signature isn't that tuned to me. It also causes some pressure buildup on my eardrums. Anyways, that caused me to find that thread and start looking into modding them. I thought about returning them, but decided because of the limited edition of them, and the fact that I felt bad returning open box (even though I was allowed) I kept them, and figured I'd make them work and find grab a second pair of headphones on sale.

Thoughts to add re: my impressions: Headband is good quality. The wiring sticking out doesn't seem that robust, I could see a couple fail points if you use them for years. Though I imagine all cheap fixes/easy DIYs for those with some capability. Needs some volume to sound good. It sounds OK if I try to keep it quiet, but I think it excels when you turn it up to serious bopping levels that are comfortable/safer. I expect that'll continue as I try to mod them a bit. They're not necessarily the most competent or capable headphones at their price range, and I they make you want to love them but they're very hard to love stock. Mostly comfort. The cable I could deal with, even though it can be very annoying, especially if you move around while using them. I don't think you get these as the most practical/value headphones (even though I do consider them good value for the $) you get them for their je ne sais quio aka mojo. They got something good yet intangible going for them imo.

Anyways, now I've been using them for a few months and my IEMs (akg n5005 also recent pickup) are getting more use often only because of comfort and I generally find open back, over ear more comfortable than having anything in my canals. I'm look at a couple "mods" and want to know what you think, considering I'm somewhat frugal and want to throw more budget into other headphones much more than I'd like to spend big on these:

Earpads. They've stretched with use and lessened clamp a bit. But at this point I figure I need to do something about the ear pads to get these comfortable before trying to stretch them to the point they don't stay on well:
1) I read ThEvil0nE's (who posted lots of great stuff, thank you if you read this) comment on pg.3 of this thread that mentions 6mm latex tubing under stock pads. I'm interested but I'm in Canada and would have to find/buy some tubing. It would just be some random tubing 6mm OD, and I feel like these things are so uncomfortable that that can't be enough. So I'm torn on trying this energy and $ wise but still interested
2) These sheepskin AliExpress pads at $35 CAD. Would be happy with those if they're cheap (I think it's another thanks to Evil0nE for posting this.
3) Top seller on Amazon Canada BrainWavs. Also come in velour. Good colours. Can probably return if they're not a big improvement.

As for putting some dampening pad inside, that seems to be pretty popular and I plan to give that a try. I think I will use this which seems very similar to ThEvil0nE's previously mentioned pg.3 mod.

Lastly, cable. I unfortunately don't think I'm going to shell out for the fog city unless I figure out how to make them more usable with the above mods/others.
I thought I'd share this option I found that seems good for the price. You can check the store, they have another more premium cable that would work if you have the budget, but at that point fog city is probably more legit. Anyways, just thought it doesn't hurt to share even if I don't know for sure that it's a good recommendation.

Finally fr this time: I'm open to doing anything else, none of that, etc. if anyone has something to pitch me on, I'm all ears. I know that I don't really know what I'm doing and I'm committed to getting more than my money's worth out of these things so I'm all ears.
Thank you for reading/skimming!

May 28, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #419 of 422
Thanks for sharing the link with that cable, the shipping for the other suggestion to Australia turned me right off it but I might give the AliExpress option a crack
Awesome and sorry about some of the grammar in that monster of a comment, I'll try to clean it up asap.

A few things:
1) Please let me know if you try them! The shop has good reviews and sells/makes some higher end cables so I'm hopeful but I have no experience to vouch for them aside from that and the fact that the ad seems to say it will work lol

2) If you go to that shop's page and search 50th anniversary a bunch of options come up (most more expensive) Here's another one that's tied for least expensive that seems good. This purple one is the next step up in price but I don't know enough to know if that $ would just be for the aesthetic. If so I'd rather red (which they don't have) or gold to match the headphones personally.

3) AliExpress is having a sale starting within a couple days where you might be able to get a site wide coupon that would apply to this purchase

May 30, 2024 at 1:51 PM Post #420 of 422
Hi.

I am new here. The reason why I am here are these (#758):

Now I would post a photo of my headphones here, but I do not know how, since I have never in my life seen a forum where you cannot attach a photo, but only link to it.

For that reason I am also going to delete my account right after I have shared with you that the #758 is in my hands.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back