HQPlayer Impressions and Settings Rolling Thread
May 4, 2024 at 2:50 PM Post #1,321 of 1,409
Yeah, but I am about to spout an unpopular opinion here. With Sinad we are talking about harmonic distortion, and considering my 47 year old ears peak out at about 16khz, if we assume an 8khz fundamental, the distortion is simply the presence of the octave at 16khz. Which is TECHNICALLY not correct, but practically speaking, pretty innocuous.

I am a classically trained concert pianist, and it is no wonder that my favorite pianos are ones that 'ring' not 'ting' or 'ping' (not in the FIR filter sense lol). There is a certain 'fatness' in the overtone series that gets accentuated. It may not be a very scientific way to describe it, but for a musician, she or he knows it when they hear it.

This carries over into my choices of equipment. As you may guess, I LOVE tube amplifiers. Perhaps I am anathema to a certain set of audiophiles. But, I just want to enjoy my music, and I know what I like.

Even with the higher harmonic distortion at the extremes of the DSC2, I don't really find any loss of enjoyment. I can't speak for everyone, and it isn't a 'finished product'. It was a proof of concept with open source schematics where the analog output stage possibilities are and endless as one's imagination.
Goosebumps, wow!!! dsd512x48 7EC super!!!
Listening "Bewitched: The Goddess Edition" album by "Laufey" on JPLAY app.
1714848372892.png

May 4, 2024 at 2:52 PM Post #1,322 of 1,409
i used what

shwnwllms

suggested so honestly i don't know what made it work
Could have been the IPv6 if you made that change as well. I just tested setting the input/output field to both NAA at the same time and @bogi is correct, this shouldn't cause an issue.

May 4, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #1,323 of 1,409
You're welcome, good news is it's working now, and plenty of knowledgeable people here to help you troubleshoot if something breaks. Now you can tweak it as much or little as you like. Have fun trying the different filters and modulators / dithers. You asked earlier about filter recommendations. Everyone has different preferences, chains, favorite genres etc but a good starting place and all rounder are Jussi's default.

1x - poly sinc gauss long
nx - poly sinc gauss HiRes-lp

poly-sinc-gauss

my favorite filters so far by quite a margin, although I don't have the horsepower to try quite a few of the more complex ones. Honestly I didn't realize those were Jussi's default, but my best sound is 'standard' poly-sinc gauss for 44.1/48khz, and poly-sinc gauss-short for high rez PCM.

May 4, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #1,324 of 1,409
Goosebumps, wow!!! dsd512x48 7EC super!!!
Listening "Bewitched: The Goddess Edition" album by "Laufey" on JPLAY app. 1714848372892.png

I don't have any of her material... I will rectify that today :)

May 4, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #1,326 of 1,409
poly-sinc-gauss

my favorite filters so far by quite a margin, although I don't have the horsepower to try quite a few of the more complex ones. Honestly I didn't realize those were Jussi's default, but my best sound is 'standard' poly-sinc gauss for 44.1/48khz, and poly-sinc gauss-short for high rez PCM.

Technically, it may be the best HQPlayer filter among all. I experience no transient smear with that filter and it is not a short filter but a middle length one. For my ears it sounds cleaner than the default poly-sinc-gauss-long. Longer filters bring more "body" and "air" to sound and also more fatness to bass. With bright or thin sounding DAC, amp or headphones long filters can come as a rescue, but for the price of transient smear. IMO it is better to have audio chain built based on optimal digital playback settings in order not to loose anything what's not necessary already in digital domain. Becuse then there is nothing what could bring it back. More weighty or more full bodied sound should be IMO reached by using suitable DAC, amp and headphones.

May 4, 2024 at 3:57 PM Post #1,327 of 1,409
Hi, I have two questions:

1) Is it normal DSD256 conversion from PCM source only works when I pass 44.1k? It just stays blank and never plays when the bitrate is higher.

2) Is it normal an i9 9900K + 2080Ti can't do PCM 768k or DSD512, or I'm doing something wrong? The maximum is 384k or DSD256
Edit : I mean it can but after some seconds it starts clipping a bit or in quiet parts, and as time passes the clipping gets harsher and harsher, and then I have to pause then play again and it works fine, CPU/RAM/GPU usage doesn't get too high.

DAC is an SP2000 (Dual AK4499EQ, DSD512 and PCM 768k capable)

Thanks!

Last edited:
May 4, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #1,328 of 1,409
Technically, it may be the best HQPlayer filter among all. I experience no transient smear with that filter and it is not a short filter but a middle length one. For my ears it sounds cleaner than the default poly-sinc-gauss-long. Longer filters bring more "body" and "air" to sound and also more fatness to bass. With bright or thin sounding DAC, amp or headphones long filters can come as a rescue, but for the price of transient smear. IMO it is better to have audio chain built based on optimal digital playback settings in order not to loose anything what's not necessary already in digital domain. Becuse then there is nothing what could bring it back. More weighty or more full bodied sound should be IMO reached by using suitable DAC, amp and headphones.
I am in agreement with the gauss but I also quite like the gauss long and felt they are very close with gauss long just bringing an extra bit of “air”

May 4, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #1,329 of 1,409
would poly-sinc gauss-short be also ideal for high rez PCM and 44.1/48khz

as I like to use a universal filter instead of keeping to change them

May 4, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #1,330 of 1,409
I am in agreement with the gauss but I also quite like the gauss long and felt they are very close with gauss long just bringing an extra bit of “air”
Yes, for my ears the only dfference with most recordings is that a bit more relaxed presentation with a bit more "air" by gauss-long. Just that there are recordings with fast sounds that reveal more precize character of the middle length gauss.

May 4, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #1,331 of 1,409
Yes, for my ears the only dfference with most recordings is that a bit more relaxed presentation with a bit more "air" by gauss-long. Just that there are recordings with fast sounds that reveal more precize character of the middle length gauss.
I'm curious, I've been using sinc-M for a while and seems to be my favorite, I just tried comparing with gauss and gauss-long and still like it more. Is there a filter it goes better with maybe? I'm using ASDM7ECv3

May 4, 2024 at 4:41 PM Post #1,332 of 1,409
would poly-sinc gauss-short be also ideal for high rez PCM and 44.1/48khz

as I like to use a universal filter instead of keeping to change them
You can use the same filter for 1x and Nx settings.
I'm not sure if you already tried HQPlayer Client. It allows to switch filters and modulators on the fly (so the same track continues to play).

May 4, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #1,333 of 1,409
I'm curious, I've been using sinc-M for a while and seems to be my favorite, I just tried comparing with gauss and gauss-long and still like it more. Is there a filter it goes better with maybe? I'm using ASDM7ECv3
It depends on the rest of your audio chain and also on your listening preferences and taste, so everybody needs to find what suits him best.

If you like sinc-M, just use it.

May 4, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #1,334 of 1,409
Give Sinc-MGa if you haven’t already (Gauss version of Sinc-M)

May 4, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #1,335 of 1,409

Yes, what you describe is why so many people love the Chord DACs and their extremely long filters. I am not being critical here or saying there is anything wrong with that, but I think you already said what I was thinking very, very well.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back