Introducing Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player at $589
May 3, 2024 at 5:19 AM Post #92 of 154
So guys, I actually just wanted to take a quick listen and see if the sound changed a little when it was burned in. It's now been another solid 4 hours!! This player is really addictive. I just sold my Sony AM 2 to a friend. I don't need it anymore. Ohh that sound from the M5U is just divine for me!!! I've had a lot of players from A&K, Hiby, Ibasso and Sony. But the two Shanlings M8 and M5U are my absolute favorites. I particularly like Shanling's own operating system. It Works Perfect!!! Very good performance !! Bravo Shanling now it's time to develop the M8U based on the M5U, come on guys there's still something going on!!!!

May 3, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #94 of 154
I've been listening to my entire music library for several hours now. I think from my memories that the M8 was a bit warmer. The height extension on M5U is a little better. From my memories, the level of detail and macro details seem to be on the same level as the M 8.

May 3, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #95 of 154
@ Shannling I'm still captivated by the sound of the M5 Ultra and am a bit dreaming: M8 Ultra, 2x AKM 4499EX, 2 x AKM 4191, Pure M Touch System, Kermit KO Tantalum Polymer ultra low ESR, bipolar Audio Note Kasei and Muse 8920 (SOIC*8) You can pack everything in the old case, no problem, price 1000 dollars. I buy blind :smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiley::beerchug:

May 3, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #96 of 154
Ha, that's a nice dream. This is about the most that non-android users can hope for these days.

Look at that new moondrop phone/dap... that's what the kids and the tech-heads want.

May 3, 2024 at 10:52 AM Post #97 of 154
Ha, that's a nice dream. This is about the most that non-android users can hope for these days.

Look at that new moondrop phone/dap... that's what the kids and the tech-heads want.
Honestly, I wish Shanling had something like that. I love the Shanling sound. An M8 U that is uncompromisingly designed for sound. With the M Touch OS. I think many people would buy it even if it cost $1200-$1500 due to the highest quality components. I would like it. I just don't think much of Moondrop's note. Better Shanling does it!!
And sorry im not a Kid :smile::smile::smile::beerchug:

May 3, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #98 of 154
I have a bug with the latest implementation of Tidal into the software

Only some of my saved playlists show on my N5U compared to all my other devices.

Anyone have this issue and find a work arround?

I tried logging In/Out same results

May 3, 2024 at 8:10 PM Post #99 of 154
Comparing M6U to M5U—
M6U has quad dac design whereas M5U only the one?
I’d like to better understand if and why a four dac arrangement would be superior?

M6U have completely different DACs and amps, so this is not really 1 vs 4 DAC comparison that woudl work.

In my personal opinion, M6 Ultra is still a bit warmer sounding player and overall about the same level of sound quality as M5 Ultra. It can differ a bit based on used headphones due to the different amp designs.

@ Shannling I'm still captivated by the sound of the M5 Ultra and am a bit dreaming: M8 Ultra, 2x AKM 4499EX, 2 x AKM 4191, Pure M Touch System, Kermit KO Tantalum Polymer ultra low ESR, bipolar Audio Note Kasei and Muse 8920 (SOIC*8) You can pack everything in the old case, no problem, price 1000 dollars. I buy blind :smiley: :smiley: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiley::beerchug:

M5U was our first try at a higher-end MTouch player in quite a few years. Will see how it goes with sales, if the group of users interested in such simpler player is big enough and that would dictate future of this line.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 3, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #100 of 154
20240503_171053.jpg
M8 vs M5U

I am having a issue with Tidal not loading all my playlists like my other devices. Anyone experienced this and find a work around.

Rebooting and Log in/out yelded the same results.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #101 of 154
I have a bug with the latest implementation of Tidal into the software

Only some of my saved playlists show on my N5U compared to all my other devices.

Anyone have this issue and find a work arround?

I tried logging In/Out same results
We are aware of this issue and it was reported to software team.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
May 3, 2024 at 8:18 PM Post #102 of 154
We are aware of this issue and it was reported to software team.
Thank for you response the user experience on the M5U has been a wonderful one.

My Cayin experience with the N3U I can't say the same.

May 4, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #103 of 154

Haha why you dreaming there is M9 Plus with exactly everything you are asking for haha just get that wallet open and shashing 😂😁

I absolutely agree m5 plus is marvellous, so beautiful and addictive. It drags you into the music so much. Very fun and yet so like a flagship sound. It is very close to my wm1zm2 just missing that ultra huge sound stage, maybe m9 plus would be more open hmm who knows. One thing for sure the bass in m5 ultra is really goooodddd and treble is never excessive just right where the limit is for my ears.

I keep comparing it to my 1z that means something here, I love edm music m5u here wins very easily.

I also love playing with akm filters I love the short delay fast roll off, that things gets soo detailed and clean just wow. With the stock filter short delay slow roll off its a little warmer like there is a layer over the music and sounds a tad little less detailed but more velvety like akm likes it. But the short delay fast roll off to me seems the better choice its very precise clean and can dig deeper into the reproduction of the acoustics.

Also low dispersion filter has the most organical feel to the music but you’l lose some attributes here, slower bass, less sharpness, more breathy vocals…

May 4, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #104 of 154
Haha why you dreaming there is M9 Plus with exactly everything you are asking for haha just get that wallet open and shashing 😂😁

I absolutely agree m5 plus is marvellous, so beautiful and addictive. It drags you into the music so much. Very fun and yet so like a flagship sound. It is very close to my wm1zm2 just missing that ultra huge sound stage, maybe m9 plus would be more open hmm who knows. One thing for sure the bass in m5 ultra is really goooodddd and treble is never excessive just right where the limit is for my ears.

I keep comparing it to my 1z that means something here, I love edm music m5u here wins very easily.

I also love playing with akm filters I love the short delay fast roll off, that things gets soo detailed and clean just wow. With the stock filter short delay slow roll off its a little warmer like there is a layer over the music and sounds a tad little less detailed but more velvety like akm likes it. But the short delay fast roll off to me seems the better choice its very precise clean and can dig deeper into the reproduction of the acoustics.

Also low dispersion filter has the most organical feel to the music but you’l lose some attributes here, slower bass, less sharpness, more breathy vocals…
So first of all, I agree with you on all points about the M5U. Yes, the M9+ has almost all of the things I dreamed of. But Android, which I don't really want anymore. Since I'm not a streamer, a bit of new or unknown music would be enough for me like now with the M5U Tidal. Last but not least, the M9 + is very expensive and I no longer want to spend that much on it at 1500 euros or USD. I have set myself a limit.

May 5, 2024 at 2:22 AM Post #105 of 154
The thought of the M8 U only occurred to me because I'm already so excited about the M5 U. Started with the operating software. And of course the sound. Here and there we see what a great sound is possible for just under 600 bucks. Then I came up with the idea of a player in the 1200-1500 bucks class based on the M5U and uncompromisingly focused solely on sound. That would be great. Imagine what that thing would sound like???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back