Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 17, 2024 at 11:03 PM Post #152,236 of 153,822
am in the middle of 1Q84 - this is one of his works that was longer than most, so I can see if it was split into three books originally. I had stopped in the middle...read three of his later novels published after that, and only now getting to finishing where I left off with 1Q84.
Of his long books, the only one I really like is The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. 1Q84 and Killing Commendatore are mixed bags, great sections surrounded by clutter and derivative material (IMO). My absolute favorite is After Dark, short and eerie. Second place, besides The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: Kafka on the Shore, Norwegian Wood. Third place: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.

May 17, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #152,237 of 153,822
New jazz, Intakt label, released today, via Bandcamp:

Very good straight-ahead:

RoonShareImage-638515733786871900.png

Very good anything but straight-ahead:

RoonShareImage-638515734666580290.png

May 17, 2024 at 11:13 PM Post #152,238 of 153,822
Of his long books, the only one I really like is The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle. 1Q84 and Killing Commendatore are mixed bags, great sections surrounded by clutter and derivative material (IMO). My absolute favorite is After Dark, short and eerie. Second place, besides The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle: Kafka on the Shore, Norwegian Wood. Third place: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage.
I read Wind-Up Bird Chronicle first then I was hooked.🤪 My order of favorites is different but each to their own. It is nearly impossible to describe his style of writing as a particular genre. Fantasy is combined with mystery and social commentary. The fantasy blends in as if it is a natural part of the story and nearly goes unnoticed. I put him up there with Stanislaw Lem as far as universal appeal.

May 17, 2024 at 11:34 PM Post #152,239 of 153,822
Unicomp® builds a Mini-M? I've a DIY project involving Logitech® Romer-G® switches: Tactile on the one Control, two Shift, and two Alt; Clicky everywhere else. Prototype JIS keyboard for the 東宣北米神聖教會 OMS (viz., Oriental Missionary Society) Holiness Church of North America, a Wesleyan conference offshot from majority Methodism. In addition to one Escape and twelve PF keys on top, I've requirement for nine Program Command and one Control keys to left; Reset, left Alt, 逆変換 Prev Kanzi, 空口 Space, 変換 Next Kanzi, 仮名 Kana/alt-羅馬字 Rōmazi, right Alt, and Enter on the spacebar row. The balance is for a Japanese extrapolation o' the Livermore Keyboard.

Last edited:
May 17, 2024 at 11:40 PM Post #152,240 of 153,822
... Vali 3 is hitting full stride in full regalia:IMG_8082.jpeg
The name Vali 3 just doesn't seem to fit any longer. I hereby christen your amp as Count Knobula, Lord of the Large Round Thing clan. 🤣 🤣

May 18, 2024 at 12:17 AM Post #152,241 of 153,822
The name Vali 3 just doesn't seem to fit any longer. I hereby christen your amp as Count Knobula*** Lord of the Large Round Thing clan. 🤣 🤣
*** reigns after sunset, retires before sunrise ... no mirrors / tube-bane nearby ...

May 18, 2024 at 2:08 AM Post #152,242 of 153,822
Sometimes, an album comes to my attention in the oddest way. Recently, watching a BBC show called Beyond Paradise, a song caught my ear. Thank gosh for modern technology, and SoundHound identified it as the title track from Allman Brown's album Darling, It’ll be Alright. Don’t rightly know whether tocall it Singer/Songwriter or Folk, but I like it. …and “Waiting for Something to Believe In” really resonated with me. I bought the disc, and am darned glad I did… Enjoy. Tonight, Urd’s killin’ it…
1716012376215.png

May 18, 2024 at 6:41 AM Post #152,244 of 153,822
I removed the two screws on the backside and lifted the cover slightly off. The pulled on the knob. It did come off but it was with way too much force.
The knob came off but it pulled out the pot internals! To bend out those tabs took a lot of force. Not good. In my case I was able to clean and re-install the pot internals just fine.

If you really want to take it off for a different knob then I would send Schiit a note and ask how they do this to fix returns?
Possible they apply a heat gun to warm up the "glue"...you could try this. I would wrap some heat reflective material between the case and knob...or maybe a damp cloth.

Secondly if you dont ever want the original knob you could carefully dremel tool it off.....again you can scratch the case if not judicious etc...I have done this in the past. Slow and easy.

Alex
It's sad to see Schitt resorting to glue if that's what it is. Glues are the worst when trying to repair electronic stuff.
I hate having to use heat; you never know if I've used too much or too little. Lately, the best solution I've found that
works okay most of the time is to spray the glued areas as best you can with circuit board cleaner (the stuff that feels
cold when you spray it and with no power on, of course). The glue usually dissolves just enough to pry the part apart. You still have to be very patient and careful, though. Please reverse the glue processes on electronic stuff. The earth will thank you.

May 18, 2024 at 8:23 AM Post #152,245 of 153,822
I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm going to be pedantic (where have we heard that before) but you lose a significant amount of weight in the roasting process. A lot of the time is cooking out the moisture before you can really get to roasting. Maybe 20% or more weight loss during roasting (didn't save my measurements). Including shipping costs it was still cheaper than good commercially roasted beans but not as much of a bargain as it might first seem.
On the other hand there is something about small batch roasting / home roasting that just seems better. I know a roaster and can get beans roasted within the last few days but it never has the life and flavor of home roasted. And of course you can experiment with all sorts of beans and roasts.
I'm using an old stainless steel Back to Basics popcorn popper. I wore out the original cheap pot metal gears and replaced them with hardened steel gears from a hobby supply. Turns much smoother. I've been using it at least 10 years.
And with just a modest cleaning you can also use it for popcorn. With just some soap and a modest scrub there doesn't seem to be any flavor transfer when switching back and forth.
Yes smoke. Winter, outdoor roasting with a heat gun. Rest of the year indoors near a window with a big box fan.
Don’t harsh my mellow, man!

Seriously, you are of course correct, but that would have delayed the wifey ROI argument perhaps to an unsuccessful conclusion. Of course, now with what used to be roasted $12 for full pound being $15 roasted for 12 oz, it kinda cancels back.

I really love the ability to really nail the roast profile to the coffees I prefer (Costa Rican, Guatemalan mostly…)

May 18, 2024 at 8:33 AM Post #152,246 of 153,822
I don't do Spotify, but there's this... Actually, for us Qobuzers, there's this.
I will go Qobuz of course, I just checked the Spotify playlist and the selections are somewhat different since Murakami had a huge record collection (he has since donated some of it). I also found a great deal of Hoagy Carmichael. He is well known here since he was born in Bloomington IN and attended Indiana University.😁 IU has an excellent school of music.

There is a Qobuz generated playlist for Haruki Murakami plus around 150 other playlists showing off his record collection. Jazz, classical, rock, blues etc.

Last edited:
May 18, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #152,248 of 153,822
... since, for most on this thread, a dip thong is IMG_8086.jpeg 👍🤣🤣🤣
Looks to me like she is taking a dip without the thong. :smiley_cat:

PS- In Schiit-related news, my URD is on its way back to Cali, the first repair attempt failed. However, many thanks to Lindsay for sending me a shipping label, and many thanks to Schiit for covering the cost of the second repair return.

May 18, 2024 at 11:31 AM Post #152,249 of 153,822
I don't mean to be pedantic, but I'm going to be pedantic (where have we heard that before) but you lose a significant amount of weight in the roasting process. A lot of the time is cooking out the moisture before you can really get to roasting. Maybe 20% or more weight loss during roasting (didn't save my measurements). Including shipping costs it was still cheaper than good commercially roasted beans but not as much of a bargain as it might first seem.
On the other hand there is something about small batch roasting / home roasting that just seems better. I know a roaster and can get beans roasted within the last few days but it never has the life and flavor of home roasted. And of course you can experiment with all sorts of beans and roasts.
I'm using an old stainless steel Back to Basics popcorn popper. I wore out the original cheap pot metal gears and replaced them with hardened steel gears from a hobby supply. Turns much smoother. I've been using it at least 10 years.
And with just a modest cleaning you can also use it for popcorn. With just some soap and a modest scrub there doesn't seem to be any flavor transfer when switching back and forth.
Yes smoke. Winter, outdoor roasting with a heat gun. Rest of the year indoors near a window with a big box fan.
Home roasting with an ancient pop corn popper with all metal parts. Get my beans from Burman - usually Ethiopian varieties. For quick use the Technivorm drip. For purity Chemex... my wife wants a new espresso machine, but its gotta be a double boiler that will last more than 2 years.

May 18, 2024 at 11:55 AM Post #152,250 of 153,822
For lazy people like me, an instant coffee with handheld milk aerator makes amazing latte already :)

1716047691633.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back