Shanling M5 Ultra - High-End MTouch Portable Player - Releasing in April 2024
May 16, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #151 of 194
I hope that Shanling sells a lot of M5U. But given the sound quality for the price, the chances aren't that bad. For my old ears, he can easily handle devices that cost three times as much. And I really like the M Touch system. I've never used a DAP to surf the Internet. That's what I use my cell phone for. Shanling has confirmed that they will continue the series if the sales figures are good. I wish it. And then a real flagship killer for twice the price of the M5U. For example the M8U
:smile: :smile: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

:beerchug:

Last edited:
May 16, 2024 at 10:28 AM Post #152 of 194
If that can help you can refer to this link here and see what akm filter does, each has a special purpose and with m5u its so easily discernable which is not a common thing. Usually its very subtle as a difference.
https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/so...ter-types-of-akm-4493seq-dac-on-wiim-pro-plus

You also have this very interesting explanation on the new dac 4499ex where it talks about digital filter delay and short delay slow roll-Off is the fastest one! (its the stock filter) If you scroll down you will see few figures that explains and shows everything, the speed are in the right side ( group delay )

https://velvetsound.akm.com/us/en/s...-ic-for-the-heart-of-people-around-the-world/

May 16, 2024 at 10:42 AM Post #153 of 194
If that can help you can refer to this link here and see what akm filter does, each has a special purpose and with m5u its so easily discernable which is not a common thing. Usually its very subtle as a difference.
https://faq.wiimhome.com/support/so...ter-types-of-akm-4493seq-dac-on-wiim-pro-plus

You also have this very interesting explanation on the new dac 4499ex where it talks about digital filter delay and short delay slow roll-Off is the fastest one! (its the stock filter) If you scroll down you will see few figures that explains and shows everything, the speed are in the right side ( group delay )

https://velvetsound.akm.com/us/en/s...-ic-for-the-heart-of-people-around-the-world/
I wasn't entirely wrong with my description of the sound of Sharp Roll-off and Short Delay Sharp Roll-off. Yay my old ears still work :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sunglasses:

May 16, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #154 of 194
And about the comparison with m6u... I think this one is better in every aspect

May 16, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #156 of 194
I started my experience with shanling m8 back then a few years ago and I remember they had quite some issues with there software and small limited storage as well. My Spotify was bugging and the app never remembered my offline tracks… but the sound was really good I like the m8 a lot.

Later to maybe 2 months ago I discovered shanling H5 and boy I loved that little dac/amp. Sound was phenomenally fun and everything was just amazing. Then on my day 29 of ownership I see the M5U got released!!! I was like aaa noo I just bought h5 and this m5u is newer and much improved. I was lucky I could return it via amazon and didn’t lose any money few.

I can say m5u is a much more mature device and offers way more then h5, I like the idea of a music player via edict app on h5 but it was very limited. Cant creat playlist no album arts. With m5u you get a real dap and edit app for me has no purpose atm, you can control volume if you desire so lol.

M5u is amazing in every aspect, sound, fun, reliability, well done software and so much more. The most incredible is the price. Shanling you have to at all cost present us with a m5u flagship variant this little beast is just incredible I really love it.

Atm enjoying my music with short delay slow roll-off and medium gain, the fact you can alter the sound tuning so easily is just awesome. A very very successful dap congratulations shanling and many thanks for the pure pleasures with my m5u.

May 16, 2024 at 11:49 AM Post #157 of 194
I started my experience with shanling m8 back then a few years ago and I remember they had quite some issues with there software and small limited storage as well. My Spotify was bugging and the app never remembered my offline tracks… but the sound was really good I like the m8 a lot.

Later to maybe 2 months ago I discovered shanling H5 and boy I loved that little dac/amp. Sound was phenomenally fun and everything was just amazing. Then on my day 29 of ownership I see the M5U got released!!! I was like aaa noo I just bought h5 and this m5u is newer and much improved. I was lucky I could return it via amazon and didn’t lose any money few.

I can say m5u is a much more mature device and offers way more then h5, I like the idea of a music player via edict app on h5 but it was very limited. Cant creat playlist no album arts. With m5u you get a real dap and edit app for me has no purpose atm, you can control volume if you desire so lol.

M5u is amazing in every aspect, sound, fun, reliability, well done software and so much more. The most incredible is the price. Shanling you have to at all cost present us with a m5u flagship variant this little beast is just incredible I really love it.

Atm enjoying my music with short delay slow roll-off and medium gain, the fact you can alter the sound tuning so easily is just awesome. A very very successful dap congratulations shanling and many thanks for the pure pleasures with my m5u.
You speak to me from the soul. Another model in the series that is built with absolutely no compromise on sound. You think the Silmic II capacitors are so good. But it can be even better, I know from experience. At that time I had the Amp 12 from iBasso with DX 300 and 320. I had first made the Whitigir 12 W mod with Silmic II capacitors. It was amazing what it had achieved. I was so crazy back then that I bought another Amp12 and sent it to NP Audio. I made the Amp. 12 EXN-S mod with ADA 4625-1 op amps. This mod also uses Audio Note Kaisei capacitors and Kemet Tantalum Polymer instead of the Panasonic. The result is very impressive. The Audio Note Kaisei Bipolar in particular are divine. I would like such exquisite components for the flagship model based on the M5U.

May 16, 2024 at 11:51 AM Post #158 of 194
You speak to me from the soul. Another model in the series that is built with absolutely no compromise on sound. You think the Silmic II capacitors are so good. But it can be even better, I know from experience. At that time I had the Amp 12 from iBasso with DX 300 and 320. I had first made the Whitigir 12 W mod with Silmic II capacitors. It was amazing what it had achieved. I was so crazy back then that I bought another Amp12 and sent it to NP Audio. I made the Amp. 12 EXN-S mod with ADA 4625-1 op amps. This mod also uses Audio Note Kaisei capacitors and Kemet Tantalum Polymer instead of the Panasonic. The result is very impressive. The Audio Note Kaisei Bipolar in particular are divine. I would like such exquisite components for the flagship model based on the M5U.

How does the dx300 amp12 compare with m5u ?

May 16, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #159 of 194
If no model is released at the absolute flagship level, I will send my M5U to Steve (NP Audio) in England. I think the tickling still gets a lot out of it. If there were to be an absolute flagship model, a copper casing would definitely be an advantage. That doesn't exist at Shanling yet. The housing has a huge influence on the sound. I had the Ak 240 and the 240 SS several years ago. The difference in sound was enormous.

May 16, 2024 at 12:04 PM Post #160 of 194
Oh well... Without hesitation, I pressed the button, and 24 hours later, the family "Ultra" was home...

IMG_20240516_173729038.jpg

IMG_20240516_173301080.jpg

May 16, 2024 at 12:13 PM Post #161 of 194
How does the dx300 amp12 compare with m5u ?
Wow, that was so long ago. But overall I don't really like the iBasso sound. I soon liked the sound of the DX300 better than the highly praised DX 320. With the 1 software I liked the sound. But fast charging didn't work. Then the second update came and the sound was unbearable for me. Totally raised upper mids, which tended to scream, especially with female vocals. I then sold everything and bought the M8. I was very happy with the sound. But the other problems. Especially that he got so hot. That's why I bought the Sony. But I was disappointed in the sound. Now with the M5U I'm happy again. I will only buy Shanling. But only with AKM chips. I don't like the sound of ESS.

May 16, 2024 at 12:14 PM Post #162 of 194

Hehe those good old days I remember modding my wm1z into something that was unimaginable with the rare capacitors I forgot the name of those. You are absolutely right those sel a silmics are veryyyy goodI do love them a lot. How come you left behind the 320 thats a very decent dap as well I had it before no slouch either.

Now lets drool at @Shanling and worship that they release a flagship with all the goodness it can have with the best capacitors and parts for us in the might m5u flagship variants 😁😁😁🥰🥰🥰

Please please shanling you can do it!

If no model is released at the absolute flagship level, I will send my M5U to Steve (NP Audio) in England. I think the tickling still gets a lot out of it. If there were to be an absolute flagship model, a copper casing would definitely be an advantage. That doesn't exist at Shanling yet. The housing has a huge influence on the sound. I had the Ak 240 and the 240 SS several years ago. The difference in sound was enormous.

Oh 100% agree on that one I have experienced then all, sony 1a and 1z is one example and aka ultima sp3000 gold vs ss is also a very different sound! Specially the copper one is the most fuzzy of the bunch lol I don’t know why astel&kern dont tune their daps in accordance to their body material as they seem to snap the same fw and just voila lol.

From experience copper is the warmest and musical, lets not forget shanling house sound is warm so maybe a copper case might be to much. In my opinion aluminum case and best parts and warm detailed and airy soundstage tuning is the most versatile and amazing sound it could get. Shanling is already there just need that airiness and soundstage. But man if shanling can bring in some more exclusivity hell yea I am in please.

🔊📣🎶

May 16, 2024 at 12:17 PM Post #163 of 194
Oh well... Without hesitation, I pressed the button, and 24 hours later, the family "Ultra" was home...

IMG_20240516_173729038.jpg
IMG_20240516_173301080.jpg

Ummm am I correct or your m5u came with the leather case?

Sad if so cause I didn’t have one in my package 😔😢

Users who are viewing this thread

Back